Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Your 2014 Baltimore Ravens Draft Class

Nice summary. A few comments:

I noted with interest these tidbits from the Moseley breakdown:
    Positive: ...[E]ffectively uses his hands to protect himself...shows skill in pursuit....

Negative:
    ...Slow shedding blocks. Does not show great skill in pursuit.
    I guess when you're just c&p'ing random comments from the poundits you're gonna get this sort of thing, but still...

Wenning shows a lot more arm than I expected from the blabbing heads' commentaries. Not Joe's laser, but looks like if you can get open downfield, he can get it to you.

Jernigan, #97--someone thinking Buddy Lee clone? The size is right...
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Google Hangouts did some video chatting with some of the prospects chronicling their draft day experiences

Crockett Gilmore

It is now quite clear why the Ravens drafted Crockett Gilmore. The dude has eyebrows to rival Flacco's.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Nice summary. A few comments:

I noted with interest these tidbits from the Moseley breakdown: I guess when you're just c&p'ing random comments from the poundits you're gonna get this sort of thing, but still...

Wenning shows a lot more arm than I expected from the blabbing heads' commentaries. Not Joe's laser, but looks like if you can get open downfield, he can get it to you.

Jernigan, #97--someone thinking Buddy Lee clone? The size is right...

I pulled the scouting report from Tony Pauline's site. He's one of the better guys out there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    I pulled the scouting report from Tony Pauline's site. He's one of the better guys out there.
    I hope you didn't think I was ragging on you for that Mosley headscratcher--I understood that you pulled it from somewhere that was probably a summary of a number of evaluations, & occasionally sources will disagree. Just seemed kinda bizarre. I guess Pauline decided not to editorialize & so threw both contradictory comments in there for guys like me to scratch heads over...
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    I hope you didn't think I was ragging on you for that Mosley headscratcher--I understood that you pulled it from somewhere that was probably a summary of a number of evaluations, & occasionally sources will disagree. Just seemed kinda bizarre. I guess Pauline decided not to editorialize & so threw both contradictory comments in there for guys like me to scratch heads over...
    Nope, not at all. I meant to post the source of the scouting reports in the beginning anyhow.

Rookie Numbers

Linebacker C.J. Mosley: No. 57

Mosley will wear the number of former Ravens linebacker O.J. Brigance, who is the organization’s senior advisor of player development. Brigance is battling ALS, and his number has not been worn since former linebacker Bart Scott left in 2008 after seven years in Baltimore.

Defensive lineman Timmy Jernigan: No. 97

Jernigan will help make up for the departure of Arthur Jones on the defensive line, and he will also wear Jones’ old number. Jones had No. 97 during his four years in Baltimore.

Other notable Ravens with No. 97: NT Kelly Gregg

Safety Terrence Brooks: No. 33

No. 33 was last worn during training camp last season by safety Christian Thompson.

Other notable Ravens with No. 33: RB Priest Holmes, RB Le-Ron McClain

Tight end Crockett Gillmore: No. 80

Gillmore takes the number that veteran Brandon Stokley wore for the Ravens last season. Stokley also wore No. 80 during the first four years of his career after getting drafted by the Ravens.

Defensive end Brent Urban: No. 96

The No. 96 jersey went unused after defensive lineman Ma’ake Kemoeatu wore it during the Super Bowl XLVII season.

Other notable Ravens to wear No. 96: OLB Adalius Thomas

Running back Lorenzo Taliaferro: No. 34

Several running backs have donned No. 34 over the years, including veteran Ricky Williams in 2010-2011.

Offensive lineman John Urschel: No. 64

This number was worn for eight years by offensive guard Edwin Mulitalo, who won a Super Bowl with the Ravens in 2000.

Quarterback Keith Wenning: No. 10

The No. 10 jersey has been worn by a number of quarterbacks over the years, and was most recently used by former Heisman Trophy Winner Troy Smith.

Other notable Ravens to wear No. 10: QB Marc Bulger, QB Kordell Stewart

Wide receiver Michael Campanaro: No. 6

Campanaro will be the first receiver in team history to sport the number, which has typically gone to a special teamer.

Other notable Ravens to wear No. 6: K Steven Hauschka

Great job Justlove.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Are WRs allowed to wear single-digit numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    Last guy I can think of doing it is Victor Cruz his rookie preseason. Hope he pans out that well.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Campanaro's jersey is too small to support two digits. They also can't fit his name on the back, so they're going with "M.C." ... Bc

There were two WRs in the league with single digit numbers, both first year players (one for 49ers, one for the Panthers) but neither was active for any game. The rulebooks states:

PLAYERS NUMBERED BY POSITION
    Article 2 All players must wear numerals on their jerseys in accordance with Rule 5, Section 4, Article 3(c). Such numerals must be by playing position, as follows:

(a) quarterbacks, punters, and placekickers: 1–19;
    (b) running backs and defensive backs: 20–49;
    (c) centers: 50–79;
    (d) offensive guards and tackles: 60–79;
    (e) wide receivers: 10–19 and 80–89;
    (f) tight ends and H-backs: 40–49 and 80–89;
    (g) defensive linemen: 50–79 and 90–99;
    (h) linebackers: 50–59 and 90–99.

If a player changes his position during his playing career in the NFL, and such change moves him from a position as an ineligible pass receiver to that of an eligible pass receiver, or from a position as an eligible pass receiver to that of an ineligible pass receiver, he must be issued an appropriate new jersey numeral. A change in jersey numeral is not required if the change is from an ineligible position to another ineligible position, or from an eligible position to another eligible position, provided that the player has participated at least one season at his position prior to the change.

Any request to wear a numeral for a special position not specified above (e.g., H-back) must be made to the Commissioner.

During the preseason period when playing rosters are larger, the League will allow duplication and other temporary deviations from the numbering scheme specified above, but the rule must be adhered to for all players during the regular season and postseason. Clubs must make numerals available to adhere to the rule, even if it requires returning to circulation a numeral that has been retired or withheld for other reasons.

So if that is true, it looks like Campanaro is going to have to change his number if he makes the 53 man roster and is active for games.
    Last edited by alien bird; 05-13-2014 at 11:23 AM. Reason: previous formatting was bad