Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Sam

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    I get it. That's cool. I'm not bashing the guy, just sayin' It was a bit wierd for me.
    I appreciate the candor. It's one of those things that get less weird the more you see it. I had a gay Dad and lots of time in gay bars. I remember it was very very strange the first time I saw it.

I'm sure it used to be odd to see black people kiss white people, and now most people wouldn't bat an eye. At least not in Baltimore.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Re: Michael Sam

I don't care one way or another. The guy isn't a Raven, and he's in the NFC on a team I am ambivalent about, so I really don't care how he does as a football player. He might make it as a situational pass rusher, but I don't think he'll ever be a significant impact player even if he does make a 53-man roster. But he seems like a decent human being.

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

Im glad hes getting a shot. His size and speed or lack there of is definately an issue but maybe he can make a mark on ST.

He does seem like a good dude. So I wish him luck except if/when his team plays the Ravens.
    They hate us..... but they want to BE us. (.... or at least poach all our players/coaches/FO people!) :respect

Honestly I found the heavy coverage a bit too much, and I work in tv news! I was watching ESPN, then NFL Net and after a few minutes I was feeling "Okay, I GOT it, he's openly gay and the first one to be drafted. Can we cover something else now?"

A year ago I had a discussion with a gay colleague / friend over the fact that in Harry Potter, the wizard Dumbledore is gay, and that it had little to do with the plotline. I pointed to that as an indication that times were changing where one's sexuality becomes a moot point. He (being a gay man) felt it should have been more important, but I think I convinced him that by making it just a mundane point of fact, it indicates that society is maturing on the subject and is no longer a 'gee whiz did you see that!' issue.

Therefore I am hoping, real soon, we can find out if the dude can play football, which is the only method by which he should be judged. I certainly hope that in the very likely chance that he washes out, everyone can understand it has nothing to do with off field issues and everything to do with talent, as it should be.

If he's smart, he will hold a press conference and get all of the sexual preference stuff out of the way, and never discuss it again. He needs to focus on making the team.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    If he's smart, he will hold a press conference and get all of the sexual preference stuff out of the way, and never discuss it again. He needs to focus on making the team.
    We still have a ways to go as a society on this issue it would seem. No straight guy ever had to hold a press conference to discuss who he's having sex with (other than scandalous affairs I suppose).

I'm happy for Michael Sam but that make out season with the cake was getting out of control. I don't remember any other player doing all that with their girlfriend/wife.

The media has to stop shoving this down our throats. I think it hurts the cause more than it helps. Most of us don't care who Mike loves, just play good football.

Quote Originally Posted by callahan09 View Post
    We still have a ways to go as a society on this issue it would seem. No straight guy ever had to hold a press conference to discuss who he's having sex with (other than scandalous affairs I suppose).
    My point was that he can't allow it to become a weekly circus. He can talk about being the first one and blazing a trail and all, and say that's it, I am just a football player now, my comments going forward will be about football and only football.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    My point was that he can't allow it to become a weekly circus. He can talk about being the first one and blazing a trail and all, and say that's it, I am just a football player now, my comments going forward will be about footall and only football.
    I wasn't criticising you at all. I agree with you, it is a necessary thing at this point in time. I was just commenting that it's unfortunate that it's necessary.

I'm Canadian...we're tolerant of just about anything (beavers, the french, the middle east, poutine with whacky toppings, the list goes on)
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Happy for him. Hope he works hard and makes the team.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    He has got to do more if he's going to make it in this league. He's a one trick pass rusher and he doesn't even have a move that going to work in the pros. Sam is going to struggle in my opinion.

The gay stuff I could care less about. All that matter to me is if Sam can help my team and In my opinion the answer is no. I wish him luck though. He seems like a good kid.
    This. He is going into a situation that is perfect for him though. a lot of studs on that D-Line that will attract far more attention than Sam and allow him some freedom. If he takes advantage of it then he may stick. My take is he better enjoy this training camp, it just may be his last.