Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Why Are We Drafting All These *(#$^& Defensive Players?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    Because we don't want to have to sign over the hill retreads at the last minute to play defense.

(we did sign Steve Smith and Owen Daniels--possibility they're now over the hill)
    Last year we signed Canty, Spears, Huff, Smith and Dumervil to the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    I mean, we just won the Super Bowl 15 months ago! Our defense is loaded with talent already! We have guys like Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Dannell Ellerbee, Paul Kruger, Arthur Jones, Corey Graham, Bernard Pollard and James Ihedigbo!!

Oh wait... what?

All those guys are gone?

Eight key defensive players from our SB team have departed in 15 months??

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... so THAT's why we're drafting all these defensive players the last two years.

NOW, I get it....
    And from that Super Bowl team we've also lost
    - our biggest performing WR in the post-season,
    - our Hall-of-Very-Good Center,
    - our Right Tackle,
    - our Left Tackle (thankfully replaced, but still...),
    - our Pro-bowl Fullback and
    - our #2 TE.
    - our top 2 RBs fell off a cliff last year - oh and one is injury prone and other is likely going to be suspended,
    - and our Left Guard is trying to return from a major back injury.

BOTH sides of the ball have been hit hard, but the defense has gotten a lot more attention over the past two offseasons.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
    And from that Super Bowl team we've also lost
    - our biggest performing WR in the post-season,
    - our Hall-of-Very-Good Center,
    - our Right Tackle,
    - our Left Tackle (thankfully replaced, but still...),
    - our Pro-bowl Fullback and
    - our #2 TE.
    - our top 2 RBs fell off a cliff last year - oh and one is injury prone and other is likely going to be suspended,
    - and our Left Guard is trying to return from a major back injury.

BOTH sides of the ball have been hit hard, but the defense has gotten a lot more attention over the past two offseasons.
    All true, so you make a good point. And yes they did get Monroe, so that's one. Zuttah to replace Gino (hopefully that's two replaced... hopefully). They elminated Leach's position from the offense, though we don't know what Kubiak will do. They added Owen Daniels to make Dickson expendable, and to me Gilmore looks like he can contribute some as both a blocker and receiver right away. Could prove to be an important guy for us down the line. Boldin is now replaced by Steve Smith.

So really, it's RT and LG, and RB depth.

They are banking, I take it on KO's return. They know enough about his health. A high pick on O line would tell us they're not optimistic. Apparently they are. Or they're totally high and ignoring their most glaring problem because they're just not motivated enough to do anything about it. They may also think Wagner is ready to challenge for one of those roles (since I think we can all agree Jah Reid isn't doing anything). Who knows where they see Jensen; apparently a backup guard.

RB depth they signed Forsett. Nothing great, and I assume Taliaferro is some kind of blocking FB / hybrid short yardage back or something. I don't know. It's not great, I agree. But RB is supposedly easy to fill in Kubes' offense. For that matter he's supposedly good at plugging in late round O line guys and making them fit his system. If that's true, maybe they feel good (enough) about the O line depth (just added Urschel at guard a minute ago too).
    No one likes us, and we don't care.

We traded for Zuttah, signed Monroe to a huge contract, and got a solid number 2 and number 3 wide out in Smith and Jones. And a decent tight end in Daniels. It just makes no sense how people say we ignored the offense this offseason.

Its more exciting to watch a dominant defense than a dominant offense, anyway. And you cant have both.

Blog Entries

I'm glad they're beefing up the D. Sick and tired of seeing teams run the ball down their throats, especially late in the game. Can't get off the field for shit. Build the defense - that's the key to winning the division and more. Anyone remember the total beat down that Seattle put on Denver, even with all their offensive weapons?

Gimme that top defense baby!
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!