Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Angry Why Are We Drafting All These *(#$^& Defensive Players?!?!?

I mean, we just won the Super Bowl 15 months ago! Our defense is loaded with talent already! We have guys like Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Dannell Ellerbee, Paul Kruger, Arthur Jones, Corey Graham, Bernard Pollard and James Ihedigbo!!

Oh wait... what?

All those guys are gone?

Eight key defensive players from our SB team have departed in 15 months??

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... so THAT's why we're drafting all these defensive players the last two years.

NOW, I get it....

Re: Why Are We Drafting All These *(#$^& Defensive Players?!?!?

Let's look at the other side of this. We have pretty much a single offensive player teams have to plan around. Rice and Pierce sucked horribly last season, we've gone a net negative at right tackle. We have no evidence to say that our guard situation is going to be better. We theoretically improved our center.

Why are we so insistent on building depth on the defense, and neglecting depth on the offense? If a single WR gets injured, we're right back to where we were.

If a single OL gets injured, we're screwed. But it's fine, because if a DT goes down, we have 6 more to back him up.

Why do we bother giving Flacco a huge contract and then load him up with players that aren't really game changers? There needs to be some balance between defense and offense, and frankly, I'm not seeing it.

Sent from my T0LTE using Tapatalk

They added a Center, a TE, and a WR in free agency........and resigned the LT as well.
    There were NO free agent additions on defense.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

4. Re: Why Are We Drafting All These *(#$^& Defensive Players?!?!?

I'll answer your question.
    Because we don't want to have to sign over the hill retreads at the last minute to play defense.

That's strictly reserved for the offense.

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    Because we don't want to have to sign over the hill retreads at the last minute to play defense.

Who's the over-the-hill retread we signed this offseason on offense?

6. Re: Why Are We Drafting All These *(#$^& Defensive Players?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post

(we did sign Steve Smith and Owen Daniels--possibility they're now over the hill)

OMG, let me hear all the Homers on this web site, along with Kieth Mills and company, who always says "Ozzie knows best" defend this piece of shit draft. I agree they got one or two good defensive players maybe but all in all it sucked! What, they going to go free agency for the rest? They can't afford that much! Or use who they have , which should be maybe Ok, but not playoff stuff! Who's going to replace one punch Ray Rice when he gets suspended for some games?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post

Daniels, Owen.
    Smith, Steve.

(we did sign Steve Smith and Owen Daniels--possibility they're now over the hill)
    We'll plug Smith in the slot where he belongs. And Daniels is a low-risk, one-year signing.

Quote Originally Posted by livegonzo View Post
    OMG, let me hear all the Homers on this web site, along with Kieth Mills and company, who always says "Ozzie knows best" defend this piece of shit draft.
    Homer- schomers: defense wins championships.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

Ha ha!! That is definitely true. Ultimately I think the Ravens' strength in talent evaluation is on defense, they are better at projecting which guys can occupy which roles in their scheme.

Oz has had a blind spot regarding WRs forever. Thank heavens he hit on one - one - with Torrey.

But I think that in anything, you have to do what you're best at, recognize your limitations, and do the best you can. Look at Jerry Jones. He sucks at picking players but keeps doing it anyway. At least Oz knows what he's good at and what he's not and doesn't keep trying to do another Travis Taylor / Mark Clayton pick. He's not good with WRs, he gets it, he adjusts. Fans don't like it, it's not sexy, but he figures out how to assemble a winner.

This draft may also say a lot about the Ravens' opinions of Ricky Wagner and John Jensen. "May" being the key word in that sentence.

12. Re: Why Are We Drafting All These *(#$^& Defensive Players?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Homer- schomers: defense wins championships.
    Ravens F.O.: the forward pass is just a passing fad. It'll never stick.