Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

Re: Worst draft ever

Quote Originally Posted by Cj34 View Post
    Every day I log onto this board I'm amazed at how spoiled and utterly foolish some of our fan base is. You really want to compare Ozzie and Jerry Jones? REALLY?!?! Jones hasn't won a super bowl in 18 f'ing years and he won't win another one while he's acting as GM. They're 2-7 in the playoffs the last 18 years. He's the football version of George Steinbrenner or Peter Angelos. You're absolutely entitled to say you don't like the draft. It's your opinion and maybe you'll be right but some of the out and out doom and gloom and the comparisons are flat out nuts.
    Like shit.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Quote Originally Posted by The Fanatic View Post
    This!!

Seems every year somebody comes on here and says "This is the worst draft ever"

You can pretty much count on it like the sun coming up every morning!!

I think we all would like to have seen us be able to draft Greg Robinson, Mike Evans and Ha Ha Clinton Dix in this draft to bolster our team and fill every need.

Problem is that 31 other teams are trying to do the same thing.

So let's see...

We had Matt Elam playing out of position and lost the guy playing Elams true position last year so we went out and got a guy that by all accounts will play the position better than Elam did last year.

We have Haloti Ngata getting very long in the tooth and can't be on the field every down so we bolster that rotation with what appears to be a solid rotational guy at worst.

Our starting middle linebacker isn't exactly 24 anymore so we go out and get a guy who is arguably one of the best if not the best in the draft. (Some comparing him to Patrick Willis)

We got two running backs that are coming off of injury that basically sucked last year (one we don't even know if he'll be suspended or not) so we grab one of those.

We got an entirely new offensive system predicated on 2 tight end sets and running the ball so we go get a prototypical sized tight end to support and backup the two we already have (both coming off injurys)

We pretty much addressed alot of needs prior to this draft in free agency with Steve Smith, Owen Daniels, Jacoby Jones, Zuttah, etc.

Our biggest concern right now is Right Tackle and quite frankly none of us really knows what the two dudes they drafted last year for the offensive line look like right now and how they've progressed.

Worst case scenario is we move KO back out to RT and plug in the guard we just drafted or one of the other cats we already have if we don't decide to address it with a later free agent.

We ain't exactly starving on offense here with the guys we already had, resigned and brought in.

Me personally, I never heard of Marlon Brown until we got him.

(Undrafted Free Agent)

I'd be willing to bet many on here didn't know squat about this cat until he showed up on the field last year.

Anybody think this guy can't play or wasn't a contributor?

The sky ain't falling here!!

Anybody watch that Superbowl last year?

You had one of the most prolific offenses ever seen in the NFL go up against the best defense since the 2000 Ravens.

And what happened?

That defense supported by an average offense at best with a good running game destroyed that record setting offense.

Looking back at the past decade or so of superbowls most of them have been won by teams that are historically defensive oriented like us, the Giants, Steelers, Seahawks last year, etc.

Ya'll need to sit back and let one of the best front offices in the league do their thing and build a team that defensively might come out and skull fuck the rest of the AFC while offensively supporting them by controlling the clock, moving the ball and limiting the oppositions opportunitys to do any damage.

We Are Not The Factory Of Sadness!!!

SMH

Sent from my Nexus 5

I was not crazy about this draft which probably means it has a couple of future hall of famers in it. I don't mind loading up on DLine. Seattle loaded up on Dline and an had a nice rotation which made their defense go. Not crazy about taking an ILB in the first round much less one with major health concerns. If the first thing said by the draft commentators is "it is a great pick if he can stay healthy" that is major health concerns. I don't like that we did not take a WR in the first three rounds. I am fine with not drafting a RT. The RT spot is one that is not too difficult to fill. I am fine with when they took the RB. The RB sounds like a big one cut runner which is ideal in Kubiak's offense. The only real complaint is not really taking a true offensive weapon. We tool two potential projects. Nervous about FS spot. May be hard to bring in veteran competition. I like what I read about Brooks but again that is a tough spot to come in and start. Ozzie has some work to do but he always shines between the draft and camp.

I forgot why I took time away from this board after the last draft and I remember now smh. How can you even know what our draft and other teams drafts are gonna pan out? Another question, these teams with drafts you are praising, except for the Seahawks, are they winning any Superbowls or going to the playoffs. I just here bitching for the sake of seeing a pretty girl ie draft names.

This is the same thing the Seahawks went through with all of their undrafted or no name players.

Blog Entries

You will never convince me that they couldn't spare a single pick above rd. 4 on a WR in this particular draft. That there wasn't a single WR they liked within range of the various pick slots in rds. 1-3.

Unless we are arrogant enough to think we will just keep finding Marlon Brown's.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    ... Jimmy Johnson was only able to do what he did because he competed in an era with a rival league (the USFL) where an NFL team could take a late round flyer on a stud player contractually committed to play elsewhere (like using a 5th rounder on Herschel Walker) and then later parlaying that one guy into six draft picks. If the Ravens had 15 draft picks, I am sure they would have moved around to "go get" certain players. They didn't have the luxury Jimmy Johnson had.
    Didn't the Cowboys get all those pick from the Herschel Walker trade (to Vikings?) Without that trade is he still a genius? ... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bcraven View Post
    here's what the guy @ nfl.com has to write about draft grades :

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...r-all-32-teams

... Bc
    Mc Shay listed Brooks as his fav pick @ 79

Liked Piss' Shazier followed by Tuitt as 3d and 4th favs.

I missed 2d fav pick.

I really don't know anything about Brooks but read that he only bench pressed 10 lbs at 225 lbs and our new WR pressed 20.

Mel gave Ravens a B citing CW, Jernigen and Brooks.

He gave Squeelers A- for Shazier, Tuitt and the RB.

He gave SF an A for getting Ward where they did. OZ tried to tradown down on the clock but gave up after 6 mins. Maybe he was trying to trade down for Ward????
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 05-11-2014 at 08:50 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    You will never convince me that they couldn't spare a single pick above rd. 4 on a WR in this particular draft. That there wasn't a single WR they liked within range of the various pick slots in rds. 1-3.

Unless we are arrogant enough to think we will just keep finding Marlon Brown's.

I don't blame you for being frustrated, but I think there are reasons for the Ravens strategy. After our pick, just look at the offensive players taken : Ja'Waun James (OT - #19) I like the guy, but what a reach;
    Cooks (WR - #20) many like him, but @ #17? Kelvin Benjamin (WR - #28) plus two QBs. Mosley was simply the best player at the time. Now let's play fantasy football...say one or two more QBs were selected before us. Maybe Zack Martin would have fallen into Ozzie's lap. Then he'd have a choice between Oline and ILB.
    Many would have been happy with Martin, Jurnigan, and Brooks.
    I won't list the offensive players we could have had in rounds 2 or 3 because Ozzie felt Jurnigan had a 1st round rating and Brooks had the credentials and filled a need too... Bc

I think BC did a good job answering you but I wan to answer your contention more broadly.

The Ravens could easily have picked a WR in any round. No question. You are totally right there.

It's just that they don't have your priorities on how to build a team. Never have really. To Ozzie & Co, WR is just a less valued position. Thus no WRs this year until the end.

And that's all there is to say. DL/LB>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>WR in the eyes of the team that you have chosen to root for. Other teams would have stacked their Board differently this weekend. The Packers for instance. But that doesn't mean the Ravens are wrong, it's just that each team has a personality and with that personality comes a set of priorities. Occasionally the team will pick a WR in the first three rounds, but only if they feel they have to.

You call the team arrogant for not picking WRs enough. Many other teams then must be arrogant for not prioritizing the defensive front seven enough. The thing is there are limited resources for all teams and your team just chooses to allocate it's resources differently that you do.

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    I think BC did a good job answering you but I wan to answer your contention more broadly.

The Ravens could easily have picked a WR in any round. No question. You are totally right there.

It's just that they don't have your priorities on how to build a team. Never have really. To Ozzie & Co, WR is just a less valued position. Thus no WRs this year until the end.

And that's all there is to say. DL/LB>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>WR in the eyes of the team that you have chosen to root for. Other teams would have stacked their Board differently this weekend. The Packers for instance. But that doesn't mean the Ravens are wrong, it's just that each team has a personality and with that personality comes a set of priorities. Occasionally the team will pick a WR in the first three rounds, but only if they feel they have to.

You call the team arrogant for not picking WRs enough. Many other teams then must be arrogant for not prioritizing the defensive front seven enough. The thing is there are limited resources for all teams and your team just chooses to allocate it's resources differently that you do.
    This is absolutely right. The Ravens just value the WR position very, very lowly. They want to be what they have always been--a team that plays great defense and special teams, while running the football as much as possible and passing only when necessary or when they can take the defense by surprise. You don't draft WRs high to make that scheme work. And with Kubiak on board, you don't need to take OL high early either--Kubiak has always been so successful with mid-to-late round linemen.

We can debate whether or not that strategy is still working, but historically the Ravens have done pretty well, and they're continuing to bet big on that trend continuing.

The other thing is that our need at WR isn't a "general" need, it's very specific: if there's a need at receiver, it's for a top tier #1 guy. Otherwise we're fine - we already have a deep group, and throwing a random mid-round pick into the depth chart isn't really going to change anything. As far as I'm concerned, the 1st round would have made much more sense from a WR standpoint than rounds 2-4...but since the top three receivers had already been taken, there were better options than WR out there.

My only problem with this draft and off-season in general is that we are one injury away from being totally screwed on offense. Lose a WR and you're throwing to Torrey and nothing else. RB is even worse since Rice will likely be suspended. Offensive line is screwed as I type this, so things likely aren't looking good for Joe's future health. The only place we have depth is TE, but we do have a ton of it there.

I like the draft as far as value. The top three guys are likely starters this season, or in the case of Jerrigan, capable backups. However, we won a Super Bowl because Joe threw the ball. We put the team on his shoulders and said, "win it for us." He did. And now we can't get him any help on that side of the ball? Really? Yes, we won Super Bowl XXXV with defense and a power running game. We won Super Bowl XLVII with the defense only playing well in two games, and Joe setting records.

Get the guy some freaking help.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, Hi Im Ben may I have a drink please?
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    My only problem with this draft and off-season in general is that we are one injury away from being totally screwed on offense. Lose a WR and you're throwing to Torrey and nothing else. RB is even worse since Rice will likely be suspended. Offensive line is screwed as I type this, so things likely aren't looking good for Joe's future health. The only place we have depth is TE, but we do have a ton of it there.

I like the draft as far as value. The top three guys are likely starters this season, or in the case of Jerrigan, capable backups. However, we won a Super Bowl because Joe threw the ball. We put the team on his shoulders and said, "win it for us." He did. And now we can't get him any help on that side of the ball? Really? Yes, we won Super Bowl XXXV with defense and a power running game. We won Super Bowl XLVII with the defense only playing well in two games, and Joe setting records.

Get the guy some freaking help.
    Defense only played well in two games???

No TDs allowed against Colts. Might have won in regulation in Denver without Trindon Holliday on the field; held Peyton to 21 points in his own building. Held Brady to 13 points in his own building. Allowed only six points to SF through 2.5 quarters in the SB before the power outage, and had Ngata not gotten injured, I think the overall showing would have been better.

I count that as three great defensive games, and over half of another one. YMMV...

Blog Entries

How much help do you think a WR drafted at the #17 pick or later would really provide a team this year?

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    How much help do you think a WR drafted at the #17 pick or later would really provide a team this year?
    The problem with this line of thinking is that we will never draft wr high. That is my only real complaint with the draft is that we need to invest more in the wr position with the look towards the future. Maybe a wr does not contribute a ton this year but they could be in a position to really help the team next year.