Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

134th Overall Pick: Brent Urban

Because we needed another DT.

Re: 134th Overall Pick: Brent Urban

I guess we can say goodbye to 92 after this year.

At least this D-Lineman looks like a scheme fit...

Love the size and potential of this guy, should be a quality member of the DE rotation. Rooting for one of those top OLs with the next pick, but wouldn't be surprised to hear McCarron or Seastrunk or the like called.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Maybe they will try and trade him. Huge salary to take on for a guy that plans to retire in a few years.

Are they turning him into OL ?

Quote Originally Posted by helloharv View Post
    Are they turning him into OL ?
    He went to the same school as Chris Canty, and has similar measurables /game.

I doubt it.

WTF???? LOL A SO SO DRAFT! I see the Steelers made out with a nice receiver. We get another fucking DT! What about our OL etc ...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    That's exactly what this guy is according to DeCosta. He's a 3-4 d-guy with the techniques. He dropped because of an injury. Both Kiper and DeCosta says he will start in couple of years and DeCosta said he'll be like Lewis-Moore, last year's guy.

Urban is huge and has a hockey background. See vid on Ravens site.

Even front office personnel share that same quality when it comes to that one player as Ravens assistant general manager Eric DeCosta pointed out on Tuesday evening.

Just who exactly was DeCosta’s favorite pick of the Ravens in 2014?

Defensive end Brent Urban. The fourth round selection out of Virginia caught DeCosta’s eye and is a player he thinks is going to contribute for years to come.

“I would say my favorite draft pick this year might be Brent Urban,” DeCosta exclaimed.

“I went to Virginia in early September and looking at three or four games, I thought the guy was a first or second round talent. He was absolutely dominant in those games. I think that he is going to be of really great value to us. It’s really hard to find guys like that.”

At Virginia, Urban played in 36 games (20) starts at strong-side defensive end where he registered 75 tackles (20 solo) with three sacks for minus 15 yards.

The stout defensive end also also recorded an impressive 16.5 stops for losses totaling 48 yards. Hoping to impress NFL teams, Urban looked forward to playing in the 2014 Senior Bowl, but leading up to the game he suffered a badly sprained ankle resulting in surgery and wasn’t able to play.

His draft stock plummeted.

The Ravens weren’t phased by any means and took the chance on Urban much like they did in 2013 when they selected Kapron Lewis-Moore out of Notre Dame in the sixth round. Urban and Lewis-Moore are clearly the future of the Ravens defensive front on paper and share a lot of the same qualities as players.

“Kapron Lewis-Moore we selected and he was coming off an ACL injury. He’s a five technique three-four defensive end,” recalled DeCosta.

“Those guys are rare to find, body type and ability wise and I think he’s going to be another guy that impresses a lot of people and a year from now Brent Urban is going to be one of those type of guys too.”

While Urban watched most of his fellow rookies practice over the week at the Ravens rookie minicamp, he will likely be ready when the team heads to training camp this summer.

Follow me on Twitter @sportguyRSR
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 05-21-2014 at 08:45 PM.

10. Re: 134th Overall Pick: Brent Urban

From Urban's Nfl.com draft profile: "Grew up in a Canadian hockey town and has a mellow disposition that might not sit well with some people."

Wtf?

Blog Entries

I was just watching some tape on Urban, particularly his game against VT. Wasnt overly impressed. The best DL that game was Jake Snyder imo. Constant pressure, always around the ball and effectively held the edge in the run game.

He signed with the Vikings as an UDFA.

Not sure what that says about Urban from a small sample, he didnt make much of an impact.
    -JAB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post

No "real scouts" would call someone 6-1/299 as "Tailor made" for a 3-4 NT position. "Tailor made" means that he is a perfect fit to play the position, which clearly he is not. He needs to bulk up to grow into the position. Perhaps he can play it well in the future, but he certainly isn't ready now.

The major issue with Jernigan is that every time he has bulked up, his stamina has plummeted. That was the largest weakness listed on him in his season-end reports. So, to his credit, he lost some weight to be more draftable as a 1-tech or 3-tech in a 4-3. It was probably a good strategic decision, since more teams use a 4-3 than 3-4, and he seems to have more of a natural valute in a 4-3 than 3-4. So it was surprising to a lot of draft experts to see a 3-4 team draft him.

Todd McShay emphatically stated his hatred for the pick. I like the value of getting probably a 25-35 player at pick 48, but until he shows a capacity to find a role in the 3-4, I'm not a huge fan of the pick.
    Honestly don't understand why people can't just view him as a 5 tech and an Art Jones replacement...