Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: A reminder

Re: A reminder

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I'm also an Andre Williams fan, and hope we pick him today. One of the WRs you listed would make me (us ?) feel better about the offense too. Especially if we can sign Winston to man RT... Bc
    I think Winston to the Ravens is a done deal. I think they just wanted to see what value would come in the draft first. I wouldn't even be surprised if he were telling other teams they had to wait until after the draft...

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I think Winston to the Ravens is a done deal. I think they just wanted to see what value would come in the draft first. I wouldn't even be surprised if he were telling other teams they had to wait until after the draft...
    I was on the "Winston to the Ravens" train earlier in the offseason, but that was before I actually watched him play last year. He was horrible, absolutely horrible. Maybe on the veteran minimum as a depth guy, but I think Wagner probably beats him out for the RT job no matter what.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    GOTA-
    I spent about 30 minutes this morning (all of which I'll never get back!) wading through a thread or three trying to see what the collective wisdom of the board was on how the Ravens have done so far in drafting. Obviously help is needed on the offense in several slots, but I think your points are extremely well-taken, and perhaps get less importance than they should.

Also, the Ravens play each of Cleve, Cincy and Pitt at least twice every season. That is 6 games which typically are at least as and usually more than critical as intra-div games are in non-AFCN divs, IMHO. Doesn't mean the team should ignore some priorities, but also consider that all three of our div foes went defense in round 1.

I can understand the frustration on the part of many posters, and Newsome & Co. are hardly above reproach for every draft decision they make, but I think a better perspective is one that includes track (and team!) record and overall results v. flashy stats on offense.
    Great point about the division. The Steelers especially seemed to be the exact same page as the Ravens the first couple of rounds. It's not a coincidence that 2 of the best organizations in the NFL who are in the same division and picking near the same spots in the draft have similar approaches to this draft.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I was on the "Winston to the Ravens" train earlier in the offseason, but that was before I actually watched him play last year. He was horrible, absolutely horrible. Maybe on the veteran minimum as a depth guy, but I think Wagner probably beats him out for the RT job no matter what.
    Yeah I really don't get this Winston love whatsoever...he's old and terrible.

We'd be much better off moving KO to RT and giving Wagner and Jenson a shot at LG.

Honestly, like you, I think Wagner is equal to a player at this point in Winston's career anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Yeah I really don't get this Winston love whatsoever...he's old and terrible.

We'd be much better off moving KO to RT and giving Wagner and Jenson a shot at LG.

Honestly, like you, I think Wagner is equal to a player at this point in Winston's career anyway.

IT's GOOD if Wagner beats out Winston...

But it's still good to have a pro, that knows the offense, and has been successful in it, come in to push the kid. I just didn't want the job handed to him on a silver platter.

Either should be a step up from Oher.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    IT's GOOD if Wagner beats out Winston...

But it's still good to have a pro, that knows the offense, and has been successful in it, come in to push the kid. I just didn't want the job handed to him on a silver platter.

Either should be a step up from Oher.
    Then they'd be better off putting KO at RT.

I don't think Winstin is a step up from Oher in any sense.

Hell, Oher got paid a week into UFA...Winston is still on the market and not getting any interest.

Winston is in the Dallas Clark category of washed up vets.

Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Then they'd be better off putting KO at RT.

I don't think Winstin is a step up from Oher in any sense.

Hell, Oher got paid a week into UFA...Winston is still on the market and not getting any interest.

Winston is in the Dallas Clark category of washed up vets.

Dallas Clark was better at his position then Oher last year as well.
    I don't care what Oher got paid or how quickly, he was one of the worst players on the field last year.

He was probably a bigger part of why our run game sucked then Rice...

hopefully in the 4th they could get Abbrederis and a OL (Yankey)

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Seattle and San Fran were the two best teams in football last year. Not the Patriots, or the Packers, or even the Broncos.

What were those teams built on? I don't need to say it really, but I will anyway. DEFENSE. With consistent QB play, and effective offenses that could pound the ball, and make clutch plays in the passing game. Neither teams had great talent at WR. Sure, Golden Tate, and Anquan Boldin are good, but they're not elite weapons that many people advocate about drafting or signing every year.

The point is, these teams don't need elite receivers to win championships. Neither did the Ravens, nor did the Steelers. They could get by with clutch QBs who aren't exactly Tom Brady, with good veteran receivers.

Joe Flacco at this point in his career has enough targets to be a championship level Qb again. Sure, we could have done with another wide out. But that's not how the board stacked up. It's important that we refill this defense that has lost a lot over recent seasons. We have added a lot of promising defensive players last year and this year, only time will tell if that works out. If they turn out to be good players, you're probably looking at an elite defense again.

What actually worries me more is the run game. We have enough decent players in the passing game Imo. Base offense is going to be T Smith, Daniels, Pitta, and S Smith. But I don't trust either Rice or Pierce to replicate their 2012 level of play, so it's important that we get a RB that Kubes feels he can develop into a good ZBS RB. We could still do with a good RT to push Wagner too.
    Unfortunately, those teams are built around rushing the passer, not stock-piling run stuffing DTs.

Quote Originally Posted by Loyola View Post
    The Wizard of One Winning Drive got "f...ed" by the Browns on Terrance West
    Anybody who wants a team with Gary Kubiak as their offensive coordinator and two entrenched RBs already on the roster to spend a third round pick on a back, in 2014, is someone who has nothing of value to say and needs to take a vacation from thinking about football for a month or two.

11. Re: A reminder

Quote Originally Posted by Brien Jackson View Post
    Anybody who wants a team with Gary Kubiak as their offensive coordinator and two entrenched RBs already on the roster to spend a third round pick on a back, in 2014, is someone who has nothing of value to say and needs to take a vacation from thinking about football for a month or two.
    Yeah, that's what fourth round picks are for, dammit!

Great post Leach. For me, an improved running game is the #1 key to our success on offense next year. I think that if we can manage to have a top 20 offense this year, our defense is going to be elite. I loved the way they played last year, even though they wore down in the 4th quarter (mostly due to the offense's ineptitude). Now with the draft I dont see why we cant have a top 5 D this year. We need to get a reliable corner, but other than that we are pretty much all set.