Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A reminder

Re: A reminder

Quote Originally Posted by Mizerooskie View Post

Manning didn't have Cruz for his first run, and didn't have a receiver break 600 yards that season.
    In his second run, he did indeed have Cruz. When was he drafted?
    In 2007, Eli Manning had Plaxico Burress who finished with 70 catches for 1025 yards and 12 TDs in the regular season, and he had the GW catch in the SB. And Toomer had 760 yards (on 59 catches) as their #2 that year.

I get the Ravens' draft strategy so far. I don't have a problem passing on offensive weapons, because as others have said, receivers do not make an offense great. Passing on the WRs available in this draft is totally defensible--there are still several good WRs available going into Day 3 (Jared Abbrederis is probably my favorite still available.) Mid-round WRs can give you everything you need.

I don't have a problem with loading up on defensive talent. I quibble somewhat with the specific players we've drafted so far, because they don't do the things that the top defenses in the NFL do (get interior penetration and take away a team's top receiving threat.) Mosley is a WILL LB. Jernigan is a 4-3 run-stopping NT. Brooks was a good pick and I love how he can play FS, but he's not any kind of elite coverage talent.

And yet, Ozzie has passed on better players for these guys--could have had Dennard in the 1st and Ealy in the 2nd, and those are guys who emulate the kind of defense Seattle just used to dominate the NFL last year. Tough, disciplined coverage combined with interior pass rush.

And the other thing is offensive line! Brady never had great weapons at the skill positions, but the Patriots NEVER neglected his OL. And yet, so far, despite having the worst OL in the league last year, we have yet to draft a lineman, despite having plenty of shots at great OL like Gabe Jackson or Brandon Thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by Loyola View Post
    Not true - he had 2015 tradeable picks available - knowing full well he was going to get at least three comp picks for 2015.
    Do you have any idea what it would take to do that? We wouldn't just be trading up, we would be asking a team to flat out give up a 2014 day 2 pick since we have nothing to give in return for 2014.

Blog Entries

Looking at the picks I'm seeing that this is a draft for 2015 and beyond. They signed a lot of older guys like both Smiths, Jacoby Jones and Owen Daniels for 2014. These guys are their replacements.

Ozzie is in a different situation than most GMs. There is no and never will be a hot seat for him. He doesn't have to make a splash to keep his job. That allows him to plan for the future in a way that most teams can't. He's looking at the not so distant future when Flacco's cap number becomes an issue and is trying to draft players that will allow him to get out of these more expensive contracts given to older players.

In 2 years the only old guy who will still be on this team will be Suggs. Maybe Yanda has a shot if he keeps his price down. Smith, Smith, Jones, Ngata, Rice, Daniels and Pitta will all be gone in 2016. The Patriots and Packers have done the same thing. The Steelers and 49ers are going in that direction. We have a 2 year window with this group and then the guys drafted in 2013 and 2014 are going to be taking over with holes filled in free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    In 2007, Eli Manning had Plaxico Burress who finished with 70 catches for 1025 yards and 12 TDs in the regular season, and he had the GW catch in the SB. And Toomer had 760 yards (on 59 catches) as their #2 that year.
    Yeah, you're right. Clicked the wrong link in PFR. The overall point still remains, those guys weren't surrounded by tons of weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Looking at the picks I'm seeing that this is a draft for 2015 and beyond. They signed a lot of older guys like both Smiths, Jacoby Jones and Owen Daniels for 2014. These guys are their replacements.

Ozzie is in a different situation than most GMs. There is no and never will be a hot seat for him. He doesn't have to make a splash to keep his job. That allows him to plan for the future in a way that most teams can't. He's looking at the not so distant future when Flacco's cap number becomes an issue and is trying to draft players that will allow him to get out of these more expensive contracts given to older players.

In 2 years the only old guy who will still be on this team will be Suggs. Maybe Yanda has a shot if he keeps his price down. Smith, Smith, Jones, Ngata, Rice, Daniels and Pitta will all be gone in 2016. The Patriots and Packers have done the same thing. The Steelers and 49ers are going in that direction. We have a 2 year window with this group and then the guys drafted in 2013 and 2014 are going to be taking over with holes filled in free agency.
    You gotta get more specific on your Smiths, man. It confused the hell outta me for a minute. I was wondering why on Earth you'd want Torrey or Jimmy gone in 2016

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Last year is over. The Ravens certainly didn't win the Super Bowl the year before because of their defense. Don't model the team on what worked this past year. The best teams anticipate what will work in the future. Honestly that's what I think the Ravens are looking at. They are trying to see past Ngata and recreate this defense into something that will be very different in 2015.
    GOTA-
    I spent about 30 minutes this morning (all of which I'll never get back!) wading through a thread or three trying to see what the collective wisdom of the board was on how the Ravens have done so far in drafting. Obviously help is needed on the offense in several slots, but I think your points are extremely well-taken, and perhaps get less importance than they should.

Also, the Ravens play each of Cleve, Cincy and Pitt at least twice every season. That is 6 games which typically are at least as and usually more than critical as intra-div games are in non-AFCN divs, IMHO. Doesn't mean the team should ignore some priorities, but also consider that all three of our div foes went defense in round 1.

I can understand the frustration on the part of many posters, and Newsome & Co. are hardly above reproach for every draft decision they make, but I think a better perspective is one that includes track (and team!) record and overall results v. flashy stats on offense.

I still think the #1 RB is still available.

Andre Williams. Hope we snag him with one of our comp 4ths.

A WR like Eliington, Bryant, Abrederris, Campanero, would certainly help as well...

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Miz,
    just saw your post and had to laugh!

A while back, it seemed like the Ravens could save money on jersey printing costs by acquiring every player named "Lewis"...

Now, they need to get all these guys from the cough drop box! ;)

Blog Entries

The Wizard of One Winning Drive got "f...ed" by the Browns on Terrance West
    How can they win any games without West and Bobby Rainey? doom / gloom

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Not true - he had 2015 tradeable picks available - knowing full well he was going to get at least three comp picks for 2015.
    Quote Originally Posted by Money227 View Post
    Do you have any idea what it would take to do that? We wouldn't just be trading up, we would be asking a team to flat out give up a 2014 day 2 pick since we have nothing to give in return for 2014.
    Exactly. Generally speaking, the trade up cost by using a future draft pick is at least one round earlier. So, if you think Terrence West is worth a 2015 2nd round pick, you make that deal. And then you would be run out of town, considering there are several RBs on the board who can do similar things. Running back is almost an after-thought, plug-n-play kind of position any more. The first one was taken with the 54th pick. That says a lot.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I still think the #1 RB is still available.

Andre Williams. Hope we snag him with one of our comp 4ths.

A WR like Eliington, Bryant, Abrederris, Campanero, would certainly help as well...
    I'm also an Andre Williams fan, and hope we pick him today. One of the WRs you listed would make me (us ?) feel better about the offense too. Especially if we can sign Winston to man RT... Bc