Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: A review and a preview

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    The abracadabra kid out of Wisconsin is the best route runner in this class, and is still on the board. Wouldn't surprise me if he was the #3 here from day 1 if drafted, let alone making the team.

Personally, I'd wait longer to draft a WR, and aim for McGill or Despir, and Tiny Richardson with our 4th rders.
    I haven't heard that before, but I hope we draft Jared Abbrederis, simply so we can call him Jared Abracadabra.

That said, not sure he'll even slip to our comp pick. If so, I hope we take him, he's a 3rd-4th talent, so end of 4th is a great spot for him.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

After giving it thought I'm not concerned about WR anymore. Seattle won a Super Bowl with Percy Harvin (always injured) Golden Tate (a #2 on a quality offense) and a bunch of undrafteds who would be #3 options at best. And at TE they had a Raiders castoff and a 4th rounder.

Blog Entries

From NFL.com

Passed with flying colors

Baltimore Ravens: C.J. Mosley (17th), Timmy Jernigan (48th), Terrence Brooks (79th), Crockett Gillmore(99th)
    The skinny: Ozzie Newsome must be astonished at his luck this year. The Ravens add two top 20-rated players for the middle of their defense, and the rest of the teams in the division shake their heads. Brooks is a solid 3rd round selection. If you didn't watch a ton of Mountain West football, you missed out on a very solid tight end in Gillmore.

It is my observation that the Ravens are (1) comfortable with the talent on the roster in positions that we feel should be draft-relevant and/or (2) that there will be UDFA that will suit their goals and/or (3) they figure that the FA Market will provide bargain basement deals by the times rosters are set.

I cannot be a judge of the draft until the balance of the roster is shuffled and the talent is molded over the next three years.
    Captain Offense

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    From NFL.com

Passed with flying colors

Baltimore Ravens: C.J. Mosley (17th), Timmy Jernigan (48th), Terrence Brooks (79th), Crockett Gillmore(99th)
    The skinny: Ozzie Newsome must be astonished at his luck this year. The Ravens add two top 20-rated players for the middle of their defense, and the rest of the teams in the division shake their heads. Brooks is a solid 3rd round selection. If you didn't watch a ton of Mountain West football, you missed out on a very solid tight end in Gillmore.
    I'm guessing that writeup was Daniel Jeremiah? Jeremiah was a former Ravens scout, has been analyst with NFLN for awhile, he was big on the Mosley/Jernigan picks. Good guy and analyst, though he's probably got a slight bit of Ravens bias.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Winston really sucks. I'd be more of a fan of just moving KO to RT and seeing if Wagner or Jensen can play LG (I think they can, especially in a zone scheme).

Honestly, assuming KO is healthy, I'm not all that concerned about the OL...just having him back with a competent center is an enormous upgrade. People love to zero in on Gino's physical shortcomings, but if you really watch what was happening, his inability to make the right line calls and recognize run/pass blitzers shooting gaps.

I'd like for them to draft another guy, but I think panicking to sign a retread like Winston would be a huge waste.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

The abracadabra kid out of Wisconsin is the best route runner in this class, and is still on the board. Wouldn't surprise me if he was the #3 here from day 1 if drafted, let alone making the team.

Personally, I'd wait longer to draft a WR, and aim for McGill or Despir, and Tiny Richardson with our 4th rders.
    He absolute ABUSED Bradley Roby who was a first round pick.

IMHO, and this isn't PC to say, if he was black, he'd have been a second round pick.

Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

I dunno how I grade it. Personally how it wen't I wanted Dennard instead of Mosley. Just don't see the point. He really wasn't hyped like the Kuechly and Co... It was "he's the best ILB in the draft and moving on...." And than because the Ravens drafted him "He's the second coming of Ray Lewis" Get for real. But ok I can feel the pick given the big board.

Jerrigan was graded as 1st round talent, BUT even the experts wonder how he fits.

Brooks can/should be a star.

Overall up to this point I guess I'd say C+. BUT given Pees inability to use a defense and his Spinal Indifida I don't have very high hopes at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    I dunno how I grade it. Personally how it wen't I wanted Dennard instead of Mosley. Just don't see the point. He really wasn't hyped like the Kuechly and Co... It was "he's the best ILB in the draft and moving on...." And than because the Ravens drafted him "He's the second coming of Ray Lewis" Get for real. But ok I can feel the pick given the big board.

Jerrigan was graded as 1st round talent, BUT even the experts wonder how he fits.

Brooks can/should be a star.

Overall up to this point I guess I'd say C+. BUT given Pees inability to use a defense and his Spinal Indifida I don't have very high hopes at all.

I approve of this post.

Dennard over Mosley

Jernigan questionable scheme fit

Brooks one of the top steals of the whole draft

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    He absolute ABUSED Bradley Roby who was a first round pick.

IMHO, and this isn't PC to say, if he was black, he'd have been a second round pick.

Agree 100% with this. Abbrederis is an outstanding receiver, but is clearly suffering form Jason Sehorn syndrome. It's actually hilarious how the scouting community treats white skill-position players... EVERY GUY is "a try hard guy, smart, tough, athletically limited, etc. etc..." and yet Abbrederis TORCHED Bradley Roby, supposedly a great athlete, with his deep speed. Abbrederis is one of my favorite WRs in the class and I'd love to see the Ravens grab him with their 4th. A 3-WR group of Torrey Smith, Jared Abbrederis, and Marlon Brown looks very solid to me long-term.

Regarding the draft overall, I agree with the OP. I posted my grades elsewhere but so far, this is an underwhelming rookie class, apart from Brooks. It's probably around a C overall. Mosley: C+, Jernigan: C+, Brooks: A, Gilmore: D. I don't really mind focusing on the defense, but I would have taken Dennard over Mosley 10 out of 10 times in the 1st, and Kony Ealy over Jernigan 10 out of 10 times in the 2nd. I really just see those selections as the Ravens continuing to overvalue run defense instead of pass rush.

We'll likely be a weak pass-rushing team yet again next year despite having 2 elite edge rushers in Suggs and Dumervil--all because we have nobody who can push the pocket from the inside. Ealy could have changed that, and Dennard would have given the Ravens a 3rd good CB and the potential to continue to have a dominant CB tandem long-term.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I'm guessing that writeup was Daniel Jeremiah? Jeremiah was a former Ravens scout, has been analyst with NFLN for awhile, he was big on the Mosley/Jernigan picks. Good guy and analyst, though he's probably got a slight bit of Ravens bias.
    It was a write up by Brian Fischer, who is the nfl.com's college guy. He is probably viewing it as the quality of college player drafted; it may not be from a 'translate to nfl play' kind of write up though.

Agree with this. Ozzie has come this far without taking a WR or RB, so I'd take an Olineman and CB with the next 2 picks, assuming the positions aren't decimated between now and 134/138. If they are then just go BPA at any of those 4 areas of need. There are fewer quality choices remaining at OL and corner. He can probably get a decent wideout or RB right up until pick 200.