Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ravens Would Have Traded Down If Zach Martin Had Been There

Not sure if this was discussed on here previously but I found this article on a Rams website.

http://ramblinfan.com/2014/05/13/ram...g-trade-draft/

Assuming Michael Silver from the NFL Network is telling the truth (and he was at the Rams war room the whole day), the Rams had a trade lined up with the Ravens. The Rams were offering their 2nd (44) & 3rd (75) this year AND next years 2nd for the 17th pick if Zach Martin dropped to the Ravens pick. IMO there's zero chance Ozzie would have passed that up.

Re: Ravens Would Have Traded Down If Zach Martin Had Been There

Quote Originally Posted by Cj34 View Post
    Not sure if this was discussed on here previously but I found this article on a Rams website.

http://ramblinfan.com/2014/05/13/ram...g-trade-draft/

Assuming Michael Silver from the NFL Network is telling the truth (and he was at the Rams war room the whole day), the Rams had a trade lined up with the Ravens. The Rams were offering their 2nd (44) & 3rd (75) this year AND next years 2nd for the 17th pick if Zach Martin dropped to the Ravens pick. IMO there's zero chance Ozzie would have passed that up.
    I think he would have made the trade if Dallas had taken Mosley instead of Martin. I am not sure he would have passed on Mosley if he really did have a top 8 grade. When was the last time the Ravens had a chance to draft someone that high on their board? Ngata or Suggs?

IMO, that would not have been enough to trade out of #17 and drop down to #44.

Since the 2015 pick is considered to be a round lower (since it's not til next year), that's basically the #17 for a 2nd and two 3rds. Not sure that is enough (especially when 1 of the picks is a year later).
    Last edited by B-more Ravor; 05-16-2014 at 12:15 PM.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post

Since the 2015 pick is considered to be a round lower (since it's not til next year), that's basically the #17 for a 2nd and two 3rds. Not sure that is enough.
    It certainly would not be a no-brainer, that is for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post

Since the 2015 pick is considered to be a round lower (since it's not til next year), that's basically the #17 for a 2nd and two 3rds. Not sure that is enough.
    I was just about to say this. I do, however, wonder how things would have played out given that the extra 2nd and 3rd this year would have given them much more mobility. I really feel like their lack of mobility had a huge effect on their draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Money227 View Post
    I was just about to say this. I do, however, wonder how things would have played out given that the extra 2nd and 3rd this year would have given them much more mobility. I really feel like their lack of mobility had a huge effect on their draft.
    BINGO... in retrospect, getting even a bit below expected value may have been a good thing.
    In the moment, I would have just wanted Martin over the picks however.

But there wouldn't have been an "extra" 2nd round pick. It would have just been our 1st round pick moved back. We would have had an extra third rounder for 2014.

The deal resulted in two total "extra picks", one in 2014 and one in 2015. We would have been trading one pick to get three picks back (netting two "extra").

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    But there wouldn't have been an "extra" 2nd round pick. It would have just been our 1st round pick moved back. We would have had an extra third rounder for 2014.

The deal resulted in two total "extra picks", one in 2014 and one in 2015. We would have been trading one pick to get three picks back (netting two "extra").
    Where I was going with the "extra" 2nd round pick is that there was no market for us to trade down with our 1st. I feel like pick #17 ended up being in the "no-trade" zone. Teams were maneuvering all over the place in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

When I read the article it sounded like Ozzie came up with the compensation. I think that is more proof Ozzie was not looking at the OT's in the first round.

Blog Entries

The Ravens gave up more to draft Kyle Boller. No way would they trade this years #1 without getting a 1st round pick in next years draft as part of the deal.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The Ravens gave up more to draft Kyle Boller. No way would they trade this years #1 without getting a 1st round pick in next years draft as part of the deal.
    yep. I do agree if Cowboys take mosley we would be interested but unlikely we pull the trigger for that. Most likely we just end up with Martin ourselves.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Worth noting, Kevin Byrne's weekly column broke down some War Room anecdotes and his take was that Ravens trading out of first would have required AT LEAST a 1st next year, and probably from a team they expected to be in the top half next year as well.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!