Page 86 of 86 FirstFirst ... 848586
Results 1,021 to 1,026 of 1026
  1. Re: Official RSR Day Two Draft Thread - NO SPOILERS!

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Webb View Post
    Ellington, Bryant, Abbrederis, Coleman..amongst other guys. If Elligton is still there by our 4th round compensatory pick we need to take him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We already got Gillmore, so we'll be getting either a CB or RB next.
    But that's OK, because we can always pick up a WR in the 6th or 7th rounds or as a UDFA so we can IR him to stash him for a year. Then cut him when he sucks in training camp because he failed to develop while NOT playing football for a year. And in the meantime, we'll just sign a 30+ year old castoff to add "quality depth" and provide "competition" and "veteran leadership".

Re: Official RSR Day Two Draft Thread - NO SPOILERS!

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    . And in the meantime, we'll just sign a 30+ year old castoff to add "quality depth" and provide "competition" and "veteran leadership".
    You complain, but then the couple times we've done exactly that in the last few years it was Mason and Boldin. Mason is our all time leading receiver and Boldin was our playoff hero.

Maybe it... ya know... works ok?
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Just to say, people do realise that the boards and mocks of people like McShay, Kiper et al, are largely speculative based on their own evaluation, and not representative of the boards actual teams have. So what the media considers a reach may actually be a steal in actual terms. The Ravens draft based in their board, their evaluation may not always be right, like like it isn't right for the other 31 teams, but they are doing what they think is right.

4. Re: Official RSR Day Two Draft Thread - NO SPOILERS!

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    You complain, but then the couple times we've done exactly that in the last few years it was Mason and Boldin. Mason is our all time leading receiver and Boldin was our playoff hero.

Maybe it... ya know... works ok?
    And the other 30+ year old WRs we signed were:
    Brandon Stokley
    Lee Evans
    T.J. Houshmandzadeh
    Donte' Stallworth
    Kelley Washington

(and that's just since 2008--the Flacco years)

Those 5 have one thing in common.
    None of them were #1 or #2 WRs; at best Washington and Houshmandzadeh were average #3's. Which is fine if you've already got your 2 starters, like when we had Mason + Boldin or Boldin + Torrey. But now we're gambling that S. Smith at 35 can be that guy or Marlon Brown a UDFA can make that leap in his 2nd year. And we have no Plan B.

Guess what happened the last time we went into a season gambling that someone would emerge as our #2 with no real Plan B if they didn't?
    2013 happened.
    Want history to repeat itself?
    In a draft LOADED with #2 WR talent and we come away with NONE?

You do know that Torrey is a free agent next year and S. Smith will be 36. And isn't the draft supposed to be about the immediate future, not just the present?

Why are teams that are already loaded with young WR talent picking WRs and we aren't?

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    And the other 30+ year old WRs we signed were:
    Brandon Stokley
    Lee Evans
    T.J. Houshmandzadeh
    Donte' Stallworth
    Kelley Washington

(and that's just since 2008--the Flacco years)

Those 5 have one thing in common.
    None of them were #1 or #2 WRs; at best Washington and Houshmandzadeh were average #3's. Which is fine if you've already got your 2 starters, like when we had Mason + Boldin or Boldin + Torrey. But now we're gambling that S. Smith at 35 can be that guy or Marlon Brown a UDFA can make that leap in his 2nd year. And we have no Plan B.

Guess what happened the last time we went into a season gambling that someone would emerge as our #2 with no real Plan B if they didn't?
    2013 happened.
    Want history to repeat itself?
    In a draft LOADED with #2 WR talent and we come away with NONE?

You do know that Torrey is a free agent next year and S. Smith will be 36. And isn't the draft supposed to be about the immediate future, not just the present?

Why are teams that are already loaded with young WR talent picking WRs and we aren't?
    You're arguing with Steve Flacco, apparently.

Drafting for pure offense isn't in the Ravens DNA. Every year certain fans go into the draft thinking, 'Yes. This year will be the year [insert whatever offensive kids you want] will be drafted by us,' and it never happens. Inevitably, our FO sticks to the board and takes who we think will bring us the most consistent play be it offense or defense. Yes, most of the time it happens to be defensive kids who our particular FO thinks will be the most stable. We're a defensive minded team in a defensive minded division. I for one was not a fan of the Mosely pick but hey I can admit: that's just because I'm so very tired of us not just jumping up and grabbing a nice number one receiver target for Flacco and it's been that way ever since those bastards in TX grabbed Dez right in front of us.

I think I have it nailed down though: ever since we've gotten Joe, we've realized that we could have more on the offensive side of the ball. Sure, it was all well and good to have various RBs slogging it out for us snap after snap while our defense bailed us out because Hell....who did we have throwing? But now for six years we've had probably the strongest armed QB in the league starting for us and for an offensive starved fan-base that MEANS something. We want the best WR every year just to see what Joe could do with him. Chicks dig the long ball, right? So do football fans. I get that. It's totally biased and makes all kinds of sense but only from a fan perspective. Realistically though I'm sure the FO made the best choices they could. As usual, no sexy picks. Will we ever get them? I don't know. Will we appreciate them when we do or will we miss the reliability of Oz? I'm thinking the latter.

Either way, I'm just excited football is around the corner again.