Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: Rd. 1 headscratchers

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    I see very little short term or long term upside to picking ILB at 17 in a weak ILB class.
    That's probably why Biscotti rejected your application for the GM position. ;)

The ILB class was weak this year. And we reached for a guy at 17 that may prove to be a product of the system, like so many of the prior Alabama defensive picks in the NFL have shown to be. Oh and he has had multiple surgeries. And is under weight just like Brown.

This pick was a waste to me unless Mosley is an All Pro within the first 3 years of his career.
    So if he's an All Pro in years 4 and 5, the pick is a waste, huh? If two years from now, DSmith hits the road, and for the next 8 years Brown/Mosley play like Bowman/Willis, that's a waste? If Mosley only becomes very very good, but whatever player you wanted us to take instead (have you told us who that is?) flames out royally and is out of the league after two seasons, then this pick is a waste?
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    That's probably why Biscotti rejected your application for the GM position. ;)
    The last true impact player drafted on defense is Webb. In 2009. This in spite of defense getting the lion's share of our top draft picks in the past 5 years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    So if he's an All Pro in years 4 and 5, the pick is a waste, huh? If two years from now, DSmith hits the road, and for the next 8 years Brown/Mosley play like Bowman/Willis, that's a waste? If Mosley only becomes very very good, but whatever player you wanted us to take instead (have you told us who that is?) flames out royally and is out of the league after two seasons, then this pick is a waste?
    Most likely for the next 2 years one of Smith and/or Brown will be getting limited snaps because of Mosley.

Had we not drafted Mosley the person getting limited snaps would have been a guy like Bynes. I'd much rather be wasting Bynes talents on the sideline than Brown's or Smith's.

Why have solid talent sitting on the sidelines? Because that is the scenario we face now after drafting Mosley. Brown or Smith is going to effectively be a part time player. That is not why we traded up for Brown just last year in rd 2. That is not why Smith was re-signed.

The BUF pick was dumb. Their WR position was already clearly saturated.

They spent a 2nd and 3rd at WR last year. Just traded for a serviceable WR2/3 in Mike Williams, and have a capable WR1/2 in Stevie Johnson. And now they sacrifice a 2015 1st rounder for Watkins. In the last 2 drafts they've selected a WR in rds. 1, 2 and 3. They have no TE.

So who doesn't play much ? 2013 2nd rd pick Robert Woods? Or newly acquired Mike Williams?
    Depends on how good Watkins ends up being. If he's the best player in the draft and a legitimately special playmaker for another decade, I wouldn't pass on him because of Robert Woods (and Stevie Johnson is probably getting cut).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brien Jackson View Post
    Depends on how good Watkins ends up being. If he's the best player in the draft and a legitimately special playmaker for another decade, I wouldn't pass on him because of Robert Woods (and Stevie Johnson is probably getting cut).
    Last year MIA moved from 12 to 3 for a 2nd.

This year BUF moved from 9 to 4 for a 1st and a 4th.

Now the draft classes had different talent levels, but still steep IMO.

So now we have 3 starting caliber LBers...and one of them will be on the bench a lot, not helping the team to their fullest capacity in 2014.

I see very little short term or long term upside to picking ILB at 17 in a weak ILB class.
    What does a weak ILB class have to do with anything? Mosley was rated highly against all players, regardless of position. He wasn't a reach. At worst, he was drafted pretty much right where most had him going.

And, again, good teams don't draft for just this coming season. They draft for the future as well. This has always been the team's mantra, starting in 1996 when Ozzie ignored need (RB, and a whole host of other spots) and picked JO, even though he had two starting quality OTs.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

The last true impact player drafted on defense is Webb. In 2009.
    So Jimmy Smith in 2011 and Arthur Jones in 2010 are not impact players? I think the Ravens would disagree with you on that one. Also, it's far too early to tell whether or not Elam, Brown and Williams (2013 draftees) will be impact players. Unless you just count the short term (which is short-sighted).

The last true impact player drafted on defense is Webb. In 2009. This in spite of defense getting the lion's share of our top draft picks in the past 5 years.
    Jimmy Smith would likely disagree with that comment.

Bt everything you've said up to this point is pure speculation. The fact is it wasn't a reach for the ravens, whether you choose to believe if he was truly their 10th ranked player or not doesn't matter, he was worth the pick in their eyes. No one truly knows the plans the ravens have for him, or for Arthur brown for that matter. We have a solid veteran and two young inside linebackers with huge upside for the future. How the snaps will be distributed will be decided by harbaugh but all three will most likely significant playing time. Our defense just got better, not to mention there are still very prospects on the board for the ravens to take. If you don't like the pick, that's fine but come up with a better reason than what you think the team will do. You still haven't stated who you think the ravens should have taken or done in that scenario.

Last year MIA moved from 12 to 3 for a 2nd.

This year BUF moved from 9 to 4 for a 1st and a 4th.

Now the draft classes had different talent levels, but still steep IMO.
    Definitely agree with this.

While Watkins is a great prospect and definitely worth trading up for, the price Buffalo paid makes no sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brien Jackson View Post
    Yep. Stevie Johnson is in the 3rd year of a huge $36.5M contract. I don't know what the cap implications are, but Buffalo clearly wants to move that off the books. Watkins, Williams and Woods are a better WR corp and cost less than Johnson, Williams and Woods.