Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Rd. 1 headscratchers

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Because there won't be other ILBs available a year or two from now? Think about that word: now. Was ILB a need now? No.

2 years from now...maybe. Now, no. Not when you just used a 2nd rd pick on the supposed future ILB and when you just inked a vet to a 4 year deal. No one knows how long Smith will play.
    There's one key point here...

Let's go back to 1996 and say that the Ravens have a 32 year old MLB who is a decent starter. Ray Lewis is on the board at your pick, but you pass on him because "There will be other MLBs available a year or two from now".

Could you live with yourself, passing on a special talent now, because you think someone will be available later? If the Ravens really think C.J. Mosley is a special, can't miss talent at ILB, you take him now because you may not have a chance to take that good a player at ILB in two years.

Look at FS. We passed on the chance to take a great FS the past few years, and now you are looking at TERRIBLE FS class in 2014. Clinton-Dix, Ward, Brooks...and then a bunch of developmental players. Vs 2 years ago when we took Upshaw after trading back...we could've taken Harrison Smith at our original pick, who is considered a pretty good FS now. Now, he's no world beater yet, but the point is, we passed on FS, thinking we could draft it later after we were through with Ed. Instead, we find ourselves scraping the barrel trying to find a great FS now.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    There's one key point here...

Let's go back to 1996 and say that the Ravens have a 32 year old MLB who is a decent starter. Ray Lewis is on the board at your pick, but you pass on him because "There will be other MLBs available a year or two from now".
    Did they draft a MLB the prior year in rd. 2? If not...the comparison is pointless.

Was Arthur Brown not drafted for the very same reason(s) last year that Mosley was this year?

Ummm...coverage...check
    Ummm...high character...check

How are these picks not redundant?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BmoreLove View Post
    Indeed.

And CJ is even lighter than Brown was, despite being an inch taller.

Was weight not a concern with Brown? Yes...it was.

I mean this is like deja vu.

I'm going to repost what I said in another thread, as it is necessary to this discussion and practically the same discussion:

I think the most important way for Mosley to prove his worth is to be a team leader, and the hardest worker on the field. Given how much the FO puts into character, they think this is what the guy will do. You can't underestimate a good work ethic and dedication to the game.

Blog Entries

After we drafted Brown last year:

Based strictly on tape study, Rotoworld prospects guru Josh Norris considered Brown a top-10 overall player in this draft for his stack-and-shed ability, consistent physicality, and range in coverage. He should step in immediately as a starting inside linebacker in Baltimore
    How is Mosley not Brown part 2?

How is Mosley not Brown part 2?
    You've asked this in two threads so I'll answer in 2.

To me that shows me how little you understand about the 3-4 defense. Kelvin Benjamin and Eric Ebron have nearly identical combine numbers too, but obviously they play different positions with different skills. Likewise in the 3-4 you need a Will and a Mike ILB. Daryl Smith and Arthur Brown both play Will, which is why Brown had so much trouble getting snaps. He wasn't competing against Jameel McClain for snaps, he was competing against Smith. Now CJ on the other hand plays the Mike spot. He WILL likely start from game one with Arthur and Smith rotating next to him.

To make it easier, think back to the Bart Scott glory days. Ray played the Will, Bart was the Mike. Obviously different roles with very different responsibilities and needs.

Also from that thread:

Another notable point. Not many of you put much stock in the NFL.com prospect ranking, but remember that nearly every GM outside of Baltimore and NE use the scouting firm the NFL hired to give them the first take grades on the prospects. Knowing that, how many of you would be interested to know that Mosley was not only the highest rated player on the board when taken (with a grade of 6.4) but he was also the highest rated player taken from pick 9 onward.

Maybe DeCosta wasn't full of shit when he said Mosley would have been the BPA at ten. He was by the NFL's scouting service.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    You've asked this in two threads so I'll answer in 2.

To me that shows me how little you understand about the 3-4 defense. Kelvin Benjamin and Eric Ebron have nearly identical combine numbers too, but obviously they play different positions with different skills. Likewise in the 3-4 you need a Will and a Mike ILB. Daryl Smith and Arthur Brown both play Will, which is why Brown had so much trouble getting snaps. He wasn't competing against Jameel McClain for snaps, he was competing against Smith. Now CJ on the other hand plays the Mike spot. He WILL likely start from game one with Arthur and Smith rotating next to him.

To make it easier, think back to the Bart Scott glory days. Ray played the Will, Bart was the Mike. Obviously different roles with very different responsibilities and needs.

Also from that thread:

Another notable point. Not many of you put much stock in the NFL.com prospect ranking, but remember that nearly every GM outside of Baltimore and NE use the scouting firm the NFL hired to give them the first take grades on the prospects. Knowing that, how many of you would be interested to know that Mosley was not only the highest rated player on the board when taken (with a grade of 6.4) but he was also the highest rated player taken from pick 9 onward.

Maybe DeCosta wasn't full of shit when he said Mosley would have been the BPA at ten. He was by the NFL's scouting service.
    I don't think YOU understand that Smith and Brown were already slated to be the starting LBers in 2014:

Now, the inside linebacker has set his ambitions on winning a starting job as the Ravens' weak-side inside linebacker opposite veteran middle linebacker Daryl Smith.

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...#ixzz31CDWZ0gq

The BUF pick was dumb. Their WR position was already clearly saturated.

They spent a 2nd and 3rd at WR last year. Just traded for a serviceable WR2/3 in Mike Williams, and have a capable WR1/2 in Stevie Johnson. And now they sacrifice a 2015 1st rounder for Watkins. In the last 2 drafts they've selected a WR in rds. 1, 2 and 3. They have no TE.

So who doesn't play much ? 2013 2nd rd pick Robert Woods? Or newly acquired Mike Williams?
    The pick itself was not dumb. Watkins is a phenomenal talent....book it he will be a stud. Any other name you just mentioned above will be a footnote in Bills history compared to the stats Watkins will put up IMO. I love that kid

Giving up that much to get him....well that was kinda dumb but if he becomes the player I think he can he will be worth it. Big gamble and frankly dumb but I give the Bills credit for daring to be great.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

I don't think YOU understand that Smith and Brown were already slated to be the starting LBers in 2014:
    Maybe you don't understand......we are slated to have a football team beyond 2014 lol

This is a 3-4 defense....having 3 credible ILB is almost a must unless you wanna play russian roulette like we did last year

Smith is 32....Ray and London Fletcher lasted long beyond that but guys can drop off quick in their 30's ...its not a stretch to plan for the future. Besides having the 3 of them IMO will keep Smith fresh and more hopefully healthier.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

So Roberts Woods, Goodwin and Mike Williams aren't weapons? In addition to Stevie Johnson, who could very well not be traded?

I see that WR corp as very capable.
    They must feel that Watkins is the next AJ Green/Larry Fitzgerald type player. None of those guys are at that level. They gave up a lot since next years 1st round pick will once again almost certainly be in the top 10. If they're wrong about Watkins yet another coaching/GM group could wash out in Buffalo.

Pretty early in the morning to be posting, unless you are working the graveyard shift. Most not be busy. Ozzie loves defense and my thought is that Ozzie still looking for a R Lewis type of LB that can be a big play maker. Hope he remembers last year and how Flacco was being harassed and given little time to pass.