Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Rd. 1 headscratchers

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    Pretty early in the morning to be posting, unless you are working the graveyard shift. Most not be busy. Ozzie loves defense and my thought is that Ozzie still looking for a R Lewis type of LB that can be a big play maker. Hope he remembers last year and how Flacco was being harassed and given little time to pass.
    This site is global. It's not early morning for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    You've asked this in two threads so I'll answer in 2.

To me that shows me how little you understand about the 3-4 defense. Kelvin Benjamin and Eric Ebron have nearly identical combine numbers too, but obviously they play different positions with different skills. Likewise in the 3-4 you need a Will and a Mike ILB. Daryl Smith and Arthur Brown both play Will, which is why Brown had so much trouble getting snaps. He wasn't competing against Jameel McClain for snaps, he was competing against Smith. Now CJ on the other hand plays the Mike spot. He WILL likely start from game one with Arthur and Smith rotating next to him.

To make it easier, think back to the Bart Scott glory days. Ray played the Will, Bart was the Mike. Obviously different roles with very different responsibilities and needs.

Also from that thread:

Another notable point. Not many of you put much stock in the NFL.com prospect ranking, but remember that nearly every GM outside of Baltimore and NE use the scouting firm the NFL hired to give them the first take grades on the prospects. Knowing that, how many of you would be interested to know that Mosley was not only the highest rated player on the board when taken (with a grade of 6.4) but he was also the highest rated player taken from pick 9 onward.

Maybe DeCosta wasn't full of shit when he said Mosley would have been the BPA at ten. He was by the NFL's scouting service.
    Perfect response to a panic thread.

Blog Entries

I dont think any of those are head scratchers. Bills are giving EJ every chance to succeed... something we didnt really do with FLacco.

Cowboys took the best player available an their OL still sucks so i cant argue with that.

I dont think ours is a head scratcher either. If were talking reaches as headscratchers, than I think you can add us to that category.

Reaches imo,

3 Bortles (top QB imo, but he was still a mid rounder in my eyes)
    15 Shazier (hes good but i dont think hes nearly a top 15 player)
    17 Mosley (much like Shazier. Hes not a typical 1st round ILB imo)
    19 James (I can see the potential but I think there were better options at T)
    26 Marcus Smith (I think this was probably the biggest reach in the draft)

obviously based on my opinoin and ultimately, wtf do i know?
    -JAB

If we're talking about head scratchers.. how about the Lions grabbing Ebron when they have Pettigrew and Fauria.

I agree that the Buffalo pick was dumb. They could have signed Dickson I in free agency for peanuts. Wasting their pick on Dickson II was just plain dumb. But then again Caldwell has shown an affinity for tight ends with rocks for hands.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    BAL - you use a 2nd rd pick on Arthur Brown in 2013 and re-sign Smith to a 4 year deal...then use your highest pick in 5 years on...another LB.

These were just some of the moves that I didn't really agree with.
    Haven't we said time and time again that Ozzie's strategy in round 1 is BPA and not need? It appears that's exactly what he did. Its worked all these years, not sure I'd question it now. I think I even heard the guys on ESPN last night say the drop off in safeties from Pryor and Ha Ha was not the great in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Loyola View Post
    I agree that the Buffalo pick was dumb. They could have signed Dickson I in free agency for peanuts. Wasting their pick on Dickson II was just plain dumb. But then again Caldwell has shown an affinity for tight ends with rocks for hands.
    I think you must be referring to Ebron to the Lions. The Buffalo pick was Sammy Watkins.

Nobody will ever confuse Sammy Watkins for Ed Dickson. :D

Blog Entries

Well if you want to see the grades on nfl.com they're on the link below - and Baltimore is in the highest graded group

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...r-all-32-teams

Baltimore Ravens:C.J. Mosley (17th)
    The skinny: No surprise to see Ozzie Newsome this high up. The Ravens didn't have to do a thing and landed one of the smartest linebackers to come out of the college ranks in a few years. He'll fit right in on that defense and amazingly was the first ever Alabama player taken by Newsome in the first round.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Buchannon is a pretty big reach too. Granted, he's more SS than FS, but I had him behind Ward.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Well if you want to see the grades on nfl.com they're on the link below - and Baltimore is in the highest graded group

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...r-all-32-teams
    It's subjective though...I've seen some sites ranking Ravens near the bottom, as many sources considered Mosley a clear cut 2nd rounder, mentioned "damaged goods".

It's not a safe pick, and I was certainly a big detractor of it. But it was more about why didn't we trade back or take another position of need. I think ILB was certainly a need and Mosley was certainly a talented LB who could help out in a big way.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    And now Brown is what?
    Um, he's the guy that's going to be playing next to Mosely after D Smith is gone in a year or two.

Bottom line is we were thin at ILB and now it's position of strength.

D.smith excels in coverage and is so-so against the run. Brown was drafted on his intangibles, he has great speed excels in coverage with the potential to be a sideline to sideline guy. Mosley is a great combination of the two. He is great in space, has the sideline to sideline ability and has natural instincts against the run to make the right reads. Brown was behind smith last season no McClain, so he is the heir to smith in that regard to where Mosley will most likely start from day one. They complement each other extremely well and I cannot wait to hear everyone knocking this pick to eat crow with a side of shit because this kid is going to be a star.

Who would you have rather had us draft bt? Dennard? By your logic we have already used a top pick on a corner in jimmy smith and paid Webb a big contract. Clinton-Dix? No you've already sarcastically said that all Alabama players are stars. So I can only imagine how you would be saying how mediocre of a pick it was etc and list everything he doesn't do well. Pryor? He is too close to our first round pick last season. So who do you think the ravens should have taken? All the tackles worth taking were gone, receivers worthy, gone.

Btw the bills overpaid for Watkins but they will get back there investment 10fold in two years. Who cares how many receivers they already have not everyone pans out. They took a sure fire starter who has all pro potential