Page 1 of 15 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Rd. 1 headscratchers

BUF - so you trade for Mike Williams, you have Stevie Johnson, you drafted Woods last year in rd. 2, and Goodwin in rd. 3. Then you give up your 2015 rd 1 pick to move 5 spots to draft...another WR???

DAL - your defense was god awful, and actually got worse (Ware to DEN)...and you take OL. OK....

BAL - you use a 2nd rd pick on Arthur Brown in 2013 and re-sign Smith to a 4 year deal...then use your highest pick in 5 years on...another LB.

These were just some of the moves that I didn't really agree with.

Re: Rd. 1 headscratchers

I love both Buffalo and Baltimore. Buffalo now is an OL or two away from a lights out offense and they can get them (and a TE) in the next two rounds.

If you think Darryl's Smith's contract with the Ravens is for four years then..well, you just don't understand.

Dallas was a head scratcher but given their GM....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    If you think Darryl's Smith's contract with the Ravens is for four years then..well, you just don't understand.
    Ray played until 37...so who knows.

Point is ILB was locked up.

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Ray played until 37...so who knows.

Point is ILB was locked up.
    Seriously, no it was not locked up. No more than WR was locked up for Buffalo. When the BPA is an upgrade over what you currently have then the position isn't locked up.

I thought the biggest head scratcher was the Eagles taking Marcus Smith at #26. Not on my 1st or 2nd round radar at all.

Second was Juwan James at 19 to the Dolphins. I thought maybe Seattle at 32 would sneak him into the 1st round, but I viewed him as a mid-2nd rounder. !9th is pretty high and quite a reach in spite of the need.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Seriously, no it was not locked up. No more than WR was locked up for Buffalo. When the BPA is an upgrade over what you currently have then the position isn't locked up.
    The BUF pick was dumb. Their WR position was already clearly saturated.

They spent a 2nd and 3rd at WR last year. Just traded for a serviceable WR2/3 in Mike Williams, and have a capable WR1/2 in Stevie Johnson. And now they sacrifice a 2015 1st rounder for Watkins. In the last 2 drafts they've selected a WR in rds. 1, 2 and 3. They have no TE.

So who doesn't play much ? 2013 2nd rd pick Robert Woods? Or newly acquired Mike Williams?

So you skip the number 10 guy on your board, a future Pro Bowler because of a 32 yr old LB, and a 2nd round pick who was losing snaps to Jameel McClain and josh Bynes? Thats not locked up at all. Mosley is a clear upgrade over A Brown who we can now develop until Smith retires/ gets cut, and also provide depth.

As for headscratching picks I have to go with Miami. J James was not worth it at 19

I am truly amazed that some of the posters do not seem to realize that:

1. You need two, not one ILB playing on a 3-4 defense!
    2. With today's game, you need two lighter ILBs that are also fast to cover WRs and TEs (which Brown and Mosley are).
    3. Darryl Smith has maybe 1-2 years left so this is a solid depth move so ILB will not be a problem a year or two from now.
    4. Who would they, other than Dennard maybe (but there are other good CB choices available in lower rounds), would they have had us pick? WR Lee who had hand issues? Safety Ward who would have been a reach at 17?
    5. They couldn't find a trading partner to move down so you go with the highest person on your board which was Mosley.
    6. There is still the rest of the draft to go, then undrafted players, and then the 2nd wave of Free Agency in the Summer still to go so it is a little early to slam one pick.

Blog Entries

I'm not thrilled with the pick at 17, but ILB was a need (albeit a smaller one) and Mosley will help. Brown, as much hope as I have for him, is struggling a bit to translate to a 3-4 ILB. Daryl Smith was signed for 4 years, but I think the feeling is he'll play another year or two. Ravens wise to look for someone to groom under him and firm it up for when he has to go.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    The BUF pick was dumb. Their WR position was already clearly saturated.

They spent a 2nd and 3rd at WR last year. Just traded for a serviceable WR2/3 in Mike Williams, and have a capable WR1/2 in Stevie Johnson. And now they sacrifice a 2015 1st rounder for Watkins. In the last 2 drafts they've selected a WR in rds. 1, 2 and 3. They have no TE.

So who doesn't play much ? 2013 2nd rd pick Robert Woods? Or newly acquired Mike Williams?
    They are reportedly trying to trade Stevie Johnson according to more than one source. Watkins is a big upgrade and they need weapons. The price was too high in my opinion, but the pick was solid.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens Fan View Post
    So you skip the number 10 guy on your board, a future Pro Bowler because of a 32 yr old LB, and a 2nd round pick who was losing snaps to Jameel McClain and josh Bynes? Thats not locked up at all. Mosley is a clear upgrade over A Brown who we can now develop until Smith retires/ gets cut, and also provide depth.

As for headscratching picks I have to go with Miami. J James was not worth it at 19
    So then I guess the Arthur Brown pick was a huge fuck up since he apparently sucks already?

Last year people here were saying the same thing about Brown that you are saying about Mosley now. Future Pro Bowler, future of defense.

And now Brown is what?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    They are reportedly trying to trade Stevie Johnson according to more than one source. Watkins is a big upgrade and they need weapons. The price was too high in my opinion, but the pick was solid.
    So Roberts Woods, Goodwin and Mike Williams aren't weapons? In addition to Stevie Johnson, who could very well not be traded?

I see that WR corp as very capable.