Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: Who might we pick in round 2 (and round 3)?

Quote Originally Posted by Money227 View Post
    You are really big on this. I just don't see it. We have to replace James Ihedigbo. I just don't see that as an overwhelming task. I certainly don't want them to pass up some really good football players in the process.
    Our secondary sucked last year... to that, we lost Graham and Ihedigbo.

We have to UPGRADE from a JAG level starter and a JAG level starter, FA already happened.

This is it... or we can get Ed Reed, 3 years past being truly useful. Or Kerry Rhodes, 4 or 5 years past being decent.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Our secondary sucked last year... to that, we lost Graham and Ihedigbo.

We have to UPGRADE from a JAG level starter and a JAG level starter, FA already happened.

This is it... or we can get Ed Reed, 3 years past being truly useful. Or Kerry Rhodes, 4 or 5 years past being decent.
    It wasn't great, but "sucked" is a gross overstatement. We definitely need a couple additions, but I'm not at the point of saying we are desperate and need to reach while passing up on much better football players.

It wasn't great, but "sucked" is a gross overstatement. We definitely need a couple additions, but I'm not at the point of saying we are desperate and need to reach while passing up on much better football players.
    ok, sucked might be a SLIGHT exaggerration, but it needed to be UPGRADED, and we took two, fairly large steps BACK so far...

SO FAR is the key.... but I faill to see many options to change that, would be my point. Perhaps getting more talented players liek Tuitt or Nix would be the smart option, but it still leaves us wanting, IMO. Maybe Stanley Jean-Baptiste is a good compromise value as well. Then we can HOPE that brooks or Joyner is available in the third... basically forcing a Defensive heavy draft when we could really use an OLineman and some skill position guys on offense as well.

Using the 17 pick, straight up, for a luxury BPA wasn't the smartest move ever, IMO.

I agree he's an upgrade and BPA. I guess I simply prefer Jimmy Johnson's draft style over Ozzie's. Screw BPA, be where you need to be to get value when getting the PLAYER YOU WANT.

I would also say that my tune would be different had SF not picked Jimmy Ward, which was quite unexpected.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    ok, sucked might be a SLIGHT exaggerration, but it needed to be UPGRADED, and we took two, fairly large steps BACK so far...

SO FAR is the key.... but I faill to see many options to change that, would be my point. Perhaps getting more talented players liek Tuitt or Nix would be the smart option, but it still leaves us wanting, IMO. Maybe Stanley Jean-Baptiste is a good compromise value as well. Then we can HOPE that brooks or Joyner is available in the third... basically forcing a Defensive heavy draft when we could really use an OLineman and some skill position guys on offense as well.

Using the 17 pick, straight up, for a luxury BPA wasn't the smartest move ever, IMO.

I agree he's an upgrade and BPA. I guess I simply prefer Jimmy Johnson's draft style over Ozzie's. Screw BPA, be where you need to be to get value when getting the PLAYER YOU WANT.
    We'll just see how everything plays out. It's kind of hard to have a speculative discussion/argument. Are you sure that Ozzie didn't try and trade down though? I am pretty certain Ward was their favorite safety in the draft and it's pretty ironic the team I wanted most as a trade partner ended up taking him with that pick. It takes two to tango though and there just may have been no interest with how the board looked.

"There's no way CJ Mosley should be available outside the top 15. If he is, he's the pick, even if Martin and Pryor and Clinton-Dix are still on the board. He would be the face of this defense and pair with Arthur Brown to give us a killer LB duo for the next decade (hopefully ala Willis/Bowman - one can dream). He's the best player available and Ozzie wants another "Ray Lewis" type captain of the defense presence. Daryl Smith doesn't have that much longer left. I think Jamison Hensley was right on the money with his NFL Nation Mock Draft pick and if Mosley is there, he's the pick. He's the best ILB prospect by far.

Also check out this article from NFL.com:
    The two teams showing the most interest in CJ Mosley are the Bills and the Ravens"

Just to say... I called it. :D

Now, looking into my crystal ball.... I see a run on defensive linemen leading to us selecting, in no particular order, an OT/OG, a CB, and a WR. You want names? Hmm.... Moses/Mewhort, Desir/Jean-Baptiste, Latimer/Moncrief. Hmm, crystal ball is not as clear as I thought. :(

Dan Kadar at Mocking the Draft has an interesting second round mock. Check it out here.

What he has for the Ravens is Jace Amaro. This would be, pardon the pun, an offensive pick, really souping up the TE group, which could use something as Owen Daniels is on a one year contract and is definitely on the downside of his career. Daniels can teach Amaro.

Al in all I would call this a ballsy pick, one that would freak out a sizeable portion of us fans. But what are the alternative in this mock?

- Safeties. Kadar has NO safeties going in round 2, unless you count Antone Exum going to Pittsburgh. While I agree that in an perfect world, none of the remaining safeties deserves a 2nd round grade, we've already seen two safeties without a 1st round grade get picked in round 1 and there are several teams out there besides ours that have a need for an Ed Reynolds or Terrance Brooks. So it will be interesting if the remaining safety needy teams hold off till round 3.

- OL Two picks after we take Amaro, Tiny Richardson gets picked. Later on Brandon Thomas and guard Gabe Jackson get picked. Earlier CyKo and Moses get picked plus Su’a-Filo and Bitonio. One question I have about the tackles especially that we haven't talked about much, and I have no answer, is which tackles do not project well into a zone blocking scheme. I remember reading opinions that neither Juwan James nor Morgan Moses would fit. But what about Thomas or Tiny? Any guesses?

Other tackles are not in round 2 either: Jack Mewhort, Cameron Fleming, James Hurst, and Billy Turner. I can definitely see some of these guys falling to round 3 so IMO I can see still holding off on OT if a better choice is there.

Also Weston Richburg is not picked here and Richburg at least could play guard for a couple of years then slide over to center. Given that guards David Yankey and Trai Turner are also not mentioned in this mock really gets me to thinking that there will be a choice of OL guys in round 3 for us, especially if we are open to moving KO to RT. By the end of the draft I can see us picking up two OL prospects still.

- RB Just Carlos Hyde is mentioned in this mock so round 3 should have a choice of RBs if we want one then. Round 4 will hold decent choices too.

- WR Amazing. Such a deep WR class and only Marquis Lee is mocked to go before the Ravens pick. The pick after the Ravens is Jordan Matthews and only Latimer and Adams are picked before the end of the round leaving the likes of Robinson, Richardson, Landry, Huff, Ellington, Moncrief, and Abbrederis still out there when round 3 comes calling. Hey- DeCosta may be not only right but understating his case that there are good WR choices in every round if this mock pans out.

- CB Like WR, CB is supposedly deep and not picked much in round 2 here. Just Exum, Breeland, and Desir-and only Exum before the Ravens pick. That would leave a bunch of rated CBs for rounds 3 and 4: Atkins, McGill, Joyner, Phil and CB Gaines, SJB, etc.

So what do we learn from this mock? Perhaps Kadar is wrong about specific positions not having a run and thus getting depleted but overall you have to get the sense that round 3 is gonna be full of good prospects as advertised with round 4 being decent too. Basically, it is not panic time. Well for some of us, it is way too plate as they are in full panic mode. But just to rile those folks up more, round 2 looks like it is still BPA time.
    Last edited by ursula; 05-09-2014 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by QuothDaRaven View Post
    "There's no way CJ Mosley should be available outside the top 15. If he is, he's the pick, even if Martin and Pryor and Clinton-Dix are still on the board. He would be the face of this defense and pair with Arthur Brown to give us a killer LB duo for the next decade (hopefully ala Willis/Bowman - one can dream). He's the best player available and Ozzie wants another "Ray Lewis" type captain of the defense presence. Daryl Smith doesn't have that much longer left. I think Jamison Hensley was right on the money with his NFL Nation Mock Draft pick and if Mosley is there, he's the pick. He's the best ILB prospect by far.

The two teams showing the most interest in CJ Mosley are the Bills and the Ravens"

Now, looking into my crystal ball.... I see a run on defensive linemen leading to us selecting, in no particular order, an OT/OG, a CB, and a WR. You want names? Hmm.... Moses/Mewhort, Desir/Jean-Baptiste, Latimer/Moncrief. Hmm, crystal ball is not as clear as I thought. :(
    You deserve your props. Nice call!

Come on... we know who they are gonna take at 48. Its time to go offense and we need a RT...Oz is thinking.

Roll Tide! Roll Tide!

Cyrus Kouandjio for the Bamamore Ravens

Another Bama guy driven into the ground by Nick Sadist... I mean Saban. Mark Smith, our head trainer, better be getting ready to be working overtime.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QuothDaRaven View Post

You nailed it with that prediction! Great job!

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Dan Kadar at Mocking the Draft has an interesting second round mock. Check it out here.

What he has for the Ravens is Jace Amaro. This would be, pardon the pun, an offensive pick, really souping up the TE group, which could use something as Owen Daniels is on a one year contract and is definitely on the downside of his career. Daniels can teach Amaro.

Al in all I would call this a ballsy pick, one that would freak out a sizeable portion of us fans. But what are the alternative in this mock?

- Safeties. Kadar has NO safeties going in round 2, unless you count Antone Exum going to Pittsburgh. While I agree that in an perfect world, none of the remaining safeties deserves a 2nd round grade, we've already seen two safeties without a 1st round grade get picked in round 1 and there are several teams out there besides ours that have a need for an Ed Reynolds or Terrance Brooks. So it will be interesting if the remaining safety needy teams hold off till round 3.

- OL Two picks after we take Amaro, Tiny Richardson. Later on Brandon Thomas and guard Gabe Jackson get picked. One question I have about the tackles especially that we haven't talked about much, and I have no answer, is which tackles do not project well into a zone blocking scheme. I remember reading opinions that neither Juwan James nor Morgan Moses would fit. But what about Thomas or Tiny? Any guesses?

Other tackles are not in round 2 either: Jack Mewhort, Cameron Fleming, James Hurst, Billy Turner, and Cyrus Kouandjio. I can definitely see some of these guys falling to round 3 so IMO I can see still holding off on OT if a better choice is there.

Also Weston Richburg is not picked here and Richburg at least could play guard for a couple of years then slide over to center. Given that guards David Yankey and Trai Turner are also not mentioned in this mock really gets me to thinking that there will be a choice of OL guys in round 3 for us, especially if we are open to moving KO to RT. By the end of the draft I can see us picking up two OL prospects still.

- RB Just Carlos Hyde is mentioned in this mock so round 3 should have a choice of RBs if we want one then. Round 4 will hold decent choices too.

- WR Amazing. Such a deep WR class and only Marquis Lee is mocked to go before the Ravens pick. The pick after the Ravens is Jordan Matthews and only Latimer and Adams are picked before the end of the round leaving the likes of Robinson, Richardson, Landry, Huff, Ellington, Moncrief, and Abbrederis still out there when round 3 comes calling. Hey- DeCosta may be not only right but understating his case that there are good WR choices in every round if this mock pans out.

- CB Like WR, CB is supposedly deep and not picked much in round 2 here. Just Exum, Breeland, and Desir-and only Exum before the Ravens pick. That would leave a bunch of rated CBs for rounds 3 and 4: Atkins, McGill, Joyner, Phil and CB Gaines, SJB, etc.

So what do we learn from this mock? Perhaps Kadar is wrong about specific positions not having a run and thus getting depleted but overall you have to get the sense that round 3 is gonna be full of good prospects as advertised with round 4 being decent too. Basically, it is not panic time.
    I am confused - doesn't he have Cyrus gone at pick 33 to Houston?

Quote Originally Posted by Ngata Da Vida View Post
    I am confused - doesn't he have Cyrus gone at pick 33 to Houston?

Ha! I went right by CyKo. Thanks for the correction.

We'll just see how everything plays out. It's kind of hard to have a speculative discussion/argument. Are you sure that Ozzie didn't try and trade down though? I am pretty certain Ward was their favorite safety in the draft and it's pretty ironic the team I wanted most as a trade partner ended up taking him with that pick. It takes two to tango though and there just may have been no interest with how the board looked.
    nope, I certainly hope he did and found poor value.