Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

Re: Manziel comes to the AFC North

If Im buying into the hype so be it but I think this dude will be a thorn in our side for a while. As its already been said he couldn't have walked into a better situation with Thomas and Mack etc. protecting him and Gordon catching everything his way and Shanahan drawing up the plays. I almost forgot they have Tate now too to keep things honest.

And now Lee or Robinson or Matthews will probably fall right in their laps at 35 giving him even more help. They may have snubbed Watkins but none of these guys are slouches either. I cant believe Im saying this but the Browns may really and truly be changing the course of their franchise with this draft.
    They hate us..... but they want to BE us. (.... or at least poach all our players/coaches/FO people!) :respect

Exactly what I was going to say. How did the Shanahans keep RG3 healthy? I don't think he will last the season. He is a run first QB.
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less"--GEN R. E. Lee

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Werewolf View Post
    If Im buying into the hype so be it but I think this dude will be a thorn in our side for a while. As its already been said he couldn't have walked into a better situation with Thomas and Mack etc. protecting him and Gordon catching everything his way and Shanahan drawing up the plays. I almost forgot they have Tate now too to keep things honest.

And now Lee or Robinson or Matthews will probably fall right in their laps at 35 giving him even more help. They may have snubbed Watkins but none of these guys are slouches either. I cant believe Im saying this but the Browns may really and truly be changing the course of their franchise with this draft.
    theyll be talented but I dont think it even matters if they add another WR. Hes only going to focus on his first read. Hes not good at going through progressions without scrambling and I dont see that working in his favor in the AFCN because hes not Ben Roethlisberger thats too big to bring down.

obviously thats something he can learn as he matures but i think looking back at run first QBs its a very small number that get over it and become good passers that distribute the ball well.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblue View Post
    Unless he's traded to the Bungles between now and September, I doubt it!

Why does everyone seem to be thinking we open against Cleveland instead of Cinci, when it's week 3 we play them, and on the road?
    Someone's a closet Squeeler fan....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I heard during the week that 20 personnel people were asked about Manziel. 12 thought he would be a complete bust. 8 thought he could be great. No one was on the fence. Everyone is going to be in one camp or another with this guy. I'm firmly in the bust camp which is why I'm thrilled he went to the Browns but I can understand someone who takes the other side of that bet.
    That seems to be the way it is with fans too. Everyone seems so sure he's either going to be a bust or great.

I'm going to say that he has only played 2 years in college - one he won the Heisman and passed for over 3,700 yds. The second, he passed for over 4,000 yards. His completion rate was almost 70% both years.
    I saw him beat #1 Bama and throw for almost 400 in that game. The kid's got talent, a better arm than most think and he's super competitive. But I don't pretend to be able to say for sure how that will project in the NFL.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I can't forget that RG3, most likely a better player in the same style as Manziel, was severely injured his first season trying to run all over the field under Shanahan's offense.

And I can't forget which team it was that injured him.

I can't wait to see Johnny play eleven games a year in AFC North stadiums (8 in Cleveland, and 1 each in Pitt, Balt, and Cinci. Now they all won't be in bad weather - but there will be a lot more each year than Johnny has ever seen in his lifetime to date. Whoever said Colt McCoy II hit the nail right on the head.

I'm just glad the Brownies didn't take a REAL AFC North type quarterback - like Mettenberger!

Blog Entries

I think the Browns are an up and coming team, but I think Manziel is part 4 of the continuing 1st round QB saga (Couch, Quinn, Weeden, Manziel).

I would have been WAY more concerned if they had taken Watkins at 4 - a duo of Watkins and Gordon would be incredible, even with a mediocre QB making the throws.

Manziel, however, is Ryan Leaf's brain in Doug Flutie's body. Should be entertaining.

I think Manziel will get destroyed in the AFC North. Plus, not too concerned about gimmick QB's. And let's not forget....it is the Brown's. When it absolutely, positively need to get fucked up overnight...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    That seems to be the way it is with fans too. Everyone seems so sure he's either going to be a bust or great.

I'm going to say that he has only played 2 years in college - one he won the Heisman and passed for over 3,700 yds. The second, he passed for over 4,000 yards. His completion rate was almost 70% both years.
    I saw him beat #1 Bama and throw for almost 400 in that game. The kid's got talent, a better arm than most think and he's super competitive. But I don't pretend to be able to say for sure how that will project in the NFL.
    Jimmy Garropolo threw for 5000 yards and 53 touchdowns this year. A lot of college numbers have just gotten silly so you almost have to look past them because that's not translating to the pros.

Manziel is a great thrower on the run but how often is that going to happen against the Ravens, Steelers and Bengals? He's going to have to change his game a lot more than Blake Bortles or Teddy Bridgewater. It's not going to be easy. Honestly I don't think with that ego he's going to listen and really change.

I could be wrong but I have no fear at all of Manziel. I feel exactly the same way I did when the Browns took Weedon. The Ravens will win more than they lose against the Browns because their QB is going to hold them back. I'm really glad that the Browns didn't trade for Mallet. Now that would have worried me.
    Last edited by GOTA; 05-09-2014 at 10:58 AM.

Blog Entries

I'm with GOTA on this, he doesn't scare me. Maybe he can play pitch & catch with Dennard for years to come (Yes, I'm elated).
    Let Joe Cool lead the way 😎