Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 303132

Re: 17th Overall Pick: CJ Mosely

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Jeff McLane@Jeff_McLane 3h
    Asked about class of ILB prospects, Chip Kelly said he thought there was a significant drop off after C.J. Mosley.

His presser was impressive , let's hope he is as effective on the field now.
    The big TE will be a benefit in Kubes offense, but I think Furst would have been also.
    It's a done deal now, we'll see how it all shakes out, I hope I'm astounded by all of them....:happyanim

To be honest, I wanted Zack Martin in the 1st round. I would bet money Ozzie did, too. BUT, I think Mosely is a good pick for one simple reason. So many people say he is a big play guy. Think about how the Ravens have succeeded in the past on defense - Suggs, Reed, and Ray Lewis. These guys were more than just solid - they made big plays in big games. The Ravens drafted Elam for the same reason. It sounds to me as if most people feel Mosely is the same kind of player. He's in an unglamorous position, but a position that can have impact on all aspects of the game. So I'm crossing my fingers that we have the next playmaker. I believe a great defense needs them, and the Ravens are running low on them.

Did you see the pre-draft video of him - just as he was going into the green room on draft day. He was wearing a purple and yellow bow tie. Do you think he had an idea as to where he was going?

Hoping that he is a Ray Lewis clone that becomes the leader of the Ravens up and coming new defense. If he stays healthy and with fresh faces, anything is possible. It's still a team rebuilding the defense to play for the next 5 or so years. The top dollar guys will be gone next year if they do not produce this year, it's a given with how the Ravens drafted this year.

17th Overall Pick: CJ Mosely

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    The defense still has a larger salary cap usage than the offense does.
    Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    So when the number of draft picks devoted to offense and defense was too even, and the number of first rounders on offense and defense was too even, you then switched to debating salary cap distribution to try to make a point no one is buying?
    Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Even that is a red herring argument because (1) the numbers are pretty close when considering you're talking a $100M+ pie and (2) a one-year snapshot of Cap numbers is a pretty poor basis for comparing "investment" due to where may of those players are in their deals. The D has some older, more established players who are farther into their contracts (Ngata, Webb, Suggs). On O, it's just Flacco, Rice and Yanda. Everyone else is pretty much still on their rookie deals or in the first, cheapest year of their new deal (Monroe, Pitta). Those numbers are likely to take a huge turn next year as Flacco, Pitta and Monroe see their Cap number jump substantially.
    And, to illustrate this point:

Louis Riddick ‏@LRiddickESPN · 25m
    Top 5 teams '14 cash spending/offense:
    1.Philly
    2.Atlanta
    3.Chicago
    4.San Diego
    5.Baltimore

This means that the Ravens have spent the 5th most cash - ie salary and bonuses - on the offense this year. So, again, just looking at a snapshot of one year's Cap numbers isn't a particularly accurate way of determining "investment".
    Last edited by B-more Ravor; 05-23-2014 at 12:54 PM.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

You know what they say... "Men lie, women lie, numbers never do"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    And, to illustrate this point:

This means that the Ravens have spent the 5th most cash - ie salary and bonuses - on the offense this year. So, again, just looking at a snapshot of one year's Cap numbers isn't a particularly accurate way of determining "investment".
    I think what many aren't considering is keeping Monroe, Jacoby, and Pitta IS investing in the offense. Getting Steve Smith , Zuttah, and Owen Daniels is great, but keeping Pitta and Monroe was huge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I think what many aren't considering is keeping Monroe, Jacoby, and Pitta IS investing in the offense. Getting Steve Smith , Zuttah, and Owen Daniels is great, but keeping Pitta and Monroe was huge.

Absolutely. I heard one poster say that resigning Monroe wasn't an improvement because he was already here - what an ignorant statement. We got a top 10, young left tackle who's proven, perfect for the system, and at a relative bargain too.

Pitta is also a very clutch player. I don't think he's in the Gronk/Graham/VD level of elite athleticism, but he's a very reliable, sure handed and dependable player. Owen Daniels is no slouch either.

Just hoping these guys stay healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenalytics View Post
    Absolutely. I heard one poster say that resigning Monroe wasn't an improvement because he was already here - what an ignorant statement. We got a top 10, young left tackle who's proven, perfect for the system, and at a relative bargain too.

Pitta is also a very clutch player. I don't think he's in the Gronk/Graham/VD level of elite athleticism, but he's a very reliable, sure handed and dependable player. Owen Daniels is no slouch either.

Just hoping these guys stay healthy.
    well... it's NOT an improvement, but it certainly IS an investment...

Not that I was that poster.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post

IDK, JB, I don't think it's too hard to see them as an improvement over last year.

Monroe is now established in Balt after a midseason trade and being thrust into the cluster-f*** that was the OL. Now comfortable and with the team for the offseason, I do certainly expect him to be better.

And a healthy Pitta is certainly an upgrade over the Dickson/Clark duo of 2013.

“Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post

It's an improvement over whatever we would have replaced them with...

Some background on Mosley that I stumbled across.
    Nothing of particular interest, but I know that some guys here like knowing about the off-the-field stuff.

https://alabama.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1557354
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver