Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bryne Identity - Great Draft Stories

There are some great nuggets in this artilce, particularly the one about Dennis Pitta.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...1-5a8d0ac5c756

Re: Bryne Identity - Great Draft Stories

Great read, I can't believe some team was willing to give 3 fourth rounders away, glad we kept Pitta though!
    Hating Steeler Fans Since Birth

Section 126, Row 33

Lets Go Flacco :happyanim

Yeah...I just read that.

Looks like it was the Eagles calling to get Pitta away from us (only team with three 4th round picks after Pitta was selected).

I looked at the draft results for 2010, and there were only three players worth a damn selected after Pitta (and one of them was taken by us). Kam Chancellor, Arthur Jones, and Antonio Brown. Other than that, from a cursory scan of the results, I saw nothing but turds.

Good choice hanging onto Pitta.

Blog Entries

Yea but he took Dickson instead of Jimmy Graham.

And this is what scares the hell out of when Ozzie retires. DeCosta wanted to stay at the 26th spot but Bisciotti was the one who pushed moving up to get Joe thinking he wouldnt be there. The story I heard was that Oz heard the Jets and Gruden wanted Joe. Hell, it was Bisciotti pushing it and Oz said lets move.

DeCosta held firm. “Steve, I don’t think we need to move up, and I don’t think we should give up the draft choices. Those choices could be starters for us.” Newsome then talked about what he thought teams in front of our 26th spot might do. It appeared none were going to take a quarterback. “Let’s just stay where we are. Sure, some team could trade and get in front of us, but I believe we love Joe more than anyone else. Oz, let’s keep the picks.”

Bisciotti, smiling, stared at Eric and said: “Don’t be such a draft [hoarder].” DeCosta jumped right back and said: “I am a draft [hoarder]!” (Truth serum: Steve and Eric did not use the word ‘hoarder.’ They did use a word that sounds a lot like the first syllable of ‘hoarder.’)

Newsome, after announcing, “We’ve been in the desert a long time looking for a quarterback,” then made a trade to move up eight spots in the first round to No. 18, and the rest, as they say, is history.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 05-02-2014 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Yea but he took Dickson instead of Jimmy Graham.

Kindle, Cody, Dickson, and missing out on guys like Dez Bryant, Gronk, and Graham... that draft was a disaster for us. We are very fortunate to have gotten respectable contributions out of Pitta and Art Jones.

Bryne Identity - Great Draft Stories

Their travel agent needs to be fired for flying him into Dallas and not Bush Airport in Houston.

Instead of that three hour drive, he would have only had an hour and some change to College Station.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Kindle, Cody, Dickson, and missing out on guys like Dez Bryant, Gronk, and Graham... that draft was a disaster for us. We are very fortunate to have gotten respectable contributions out of Pitta and Art Jones.
    I was almost unilaterally bashed on both this and the scout board for first guessing that draft as a poor one, compared to the rest of the league. IT's funny to me that Pitta and Art Jones were the only two picks I DID like..

full disclosure, Kyle Wilson was who I really wanted in the first, and he has been far from spectacular, I thought Gronk's injuries would have him slide to our natural 2nd round pick and the quickly out of the league Colin Peek was one of two blocking TE's I really wanted.

Michael Hoomanawanui was the other and he has been exactly as I expected.

So while I called some of it, I was far from perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    I'll give you Gronk and Graham, but I am very thankful we didn't take Bryant (I don't care how good he is). I'm also very thankful (obviously) that we didn't somehow come away with Hernandez.

Blog Entries

Most of us were pushing Kyle Wilson in that draft.

ON DEZ, Oz didn't want him. Bellicheat called him and said JOnes is on the other line and wants to move up for DEZ. You interested in a deal. Remembering the Boller fiasco and NE ending up with Wiflork, OZ said no but thanks.

Dallas got DEZ and Jones thought he trumped Ozzie but Oz didn't want him and Jones has had nothing but embarrassing troubles with him. Oz beat Jones w/o DEZ and won the SB w/o him while Jones flounders-lol.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 05-02-2014 at 05:51 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Looks like it was the Eagles calling to get Pitta away from us (only team with three 4th round picks after Pitta was selected).

I looked at the draft results for 2010, and there were only three players worth a damn selected after Pitta (and one of them was taken by us). Kam Chancellor, Arthur Jones, and Antonio Brown. Other than that, from a cursory scan of the results, I saw nothing but turds.

Good choice hanging onto Pitta.
    TY for the Eagles ID

Possibly turds, but we also got UDFA Albert McClellan (DE) and Morgan Cox (LS) so some turds stopped after the draft ;)

Chris Ivory RB Saints UDFA wasn't bad either
    LeGarrette Blount but we know why he wasn't drafted
    Nate Overbay TE UDFA for Broncos who is currently a Raven (at least until after the draft)
    Victor Cruz WR Giants
    Sam Shields CB GB
    Logan Paulson TE Skins
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

Art's call to the wrong guy reminds me of the movie DRAFT DAY-lol.

Phil Savage told the story to Nest 1 how the Raiders called their pick one year and couldn't get him on his phone. Turned out he was killed the night before. OAK drafted a dead man.

Phil said shortly after the move to Bmore and re-naming the team he went on a road trip and scheduled a meeting with the coach who said who are the Ravens. I never heard of them. He said most the college coaches in the country never heard of us then.

He also said the scouts meet with the owner and entire staff when pre-season is over after grading all the players we drafted. Just before our Super Bowl 35 season started scouts said we have enough players to win 16 games. WoW. I wonder if they still do that.

He said they take off for month of May and spend the rest of the year on the road eating hotel food and staying in some real dumps where the small colleges are. They go to every college. Oz said the secret to their success is Bisciotti spending the money on scouts to go to every college.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 05-02-2014 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I was almost unilaterally bashed on both this and the scout board for first guessing that draft as a poor one, compared to the rest of the league. IT's funny to me that Pitta and Art Jones were the only two picks I DID like..

.....So while I called some of it, I was far from perfect.
    I really did not like that draft at the time. I had said on another board that any team drafting Kindle would regret it. I also said that I thought Cody was a tub of lard who wouldn't be any good in the pros. Pissed me off when the Ravens took not one, but both of those guys. Of course, I thought Ed Dickson was the best TE in the draft and was elated when they got him in the 3rd round. Goes to show what I know.