Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Re: RSR 2014 NFL Mock Draft Take 2 - Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Sorry guys for my lateness. With the 14th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft the Chicago Bears select Darqueze Dennard - CB - Michigan State
    Dennard is a good pick. Pryor would have been too, but cornerback is considered more of an 'impact' position. Dennard needs to stay healthy, but otherwise he's a very good, well-rounded cover man.

The Steelers (GOTA) are on the clock (it still bothers me that they technically finished "2nd" in the division, but pick before us in the draft, lame) Edit: NVM they already picked while I was typing, so the Cowboys then.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Featherman View Post
    Dennard is a good pick. Pryor would have been too, but cornerback is considered more of an 'impact' position. Dennard needs to stay healthy, but otherwise he's a very good, well-rounded cover man.

The Steelers (GOTA) are on the clock (it still bothers me that they technically finished "2nd" in the division, but pick before us in the draft, lame)
    Steelers already picked. Cowboys are on the clock

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Steelers already picked. Cowboys are on the clock
    Yup. Johnny Football is still on the board, but (thankfully for Cowboys Fans) Jerrah isn't pulling the strings here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Featherman View Post

The Steelers (GOTA) are on the clock (it still bothers me that they technically finished "2nd" in the division, but pick before us in the draft, lame) Edit: NVM they already picked while I was typing, so the Cowboys then.
    I think Dennard is a perfect fit in Mel Tucker's defense. He can play zone and press man really well, and that is what they like to do. I considered Pryor, but it would have been a reach, plus I think the Bears will probably move Peanut Tillman to safety anyway. I also considered Timmy Jernigan but that would have been a reach as well. I was very disappointed to see Donald was off the board, he was the obvious #1 target.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I think Dennard is a perfect fit in Mel Tucker's defense. He can play zone and press man really well, and that is what they like to do. I considered Pryor, but it would have been a reach, plus I think the Bears will probably move Peanut Tillman to safety anyway. I also considered Timmy Jernigan but that would have been a reach as well. I was very disappointed to see Donald was off the board, he was the obvious #1 target.
    Just got back to see what happened. Glad you made it bmore. Always enjoy your perspective. Well, you could probably debate who was the BPA at the Bears pick, but not the best DB imo. It was Dennard. The only reason GOTA and I were leaning Pryor was because the Bears seemed slightly weaker at safety with Walters and Conte than at CB with Tillman and Jennings. That, and GOTA wanted Dennard for Pitt. JK, I have no idea who GOTA wanted. Besides, he made lemonade out of lemons with the Mosley pick. Anyway, if the Bears are moving Tillman to S, then Dennard really was a no brainer. I had not heard that.

As to Donald, I had to pick him for the Giants. He's a great fit there too and I believe they would take him at 12. No doubt the Bears would love him as well, and you're right, Jernigan would have been a reach. Ebron is being mocked all over to the Gmen, but I just don't see it and not just because I'm not a huge fan. I just don't see them taking a big WR who is suspect as a blocker when they have so many other needs. They'd be more likely to take a more traditional TE like Niklas or Seferian-Jenkins in the 2nd imo. I'm just glad Donald was there because it kept me from having to take Zack Martin at 12. I actually think NY is the biggest threat to take him before the Ravens pick.

Well, the Cowboys are up now and they have needs. Would love to replace Ware, but I doubt they're reaching for Ealy or someone like that. They could also use a playmaking S like Pryor. Haven't had one in forever. However, I'd be the most shocked person in America if Jerry Jones passed on Manziel in this scenario. We know he's not afraid of controversy and loves the limelight. Nevertheless, in our draft, the pick belongs to Stealthbirds80, not Jerry Jones.
    Last edited by Igotstoknow; 05-03-2014 at 01:17 PM.

I'm here and will pick for the Cowboys in a couple mins.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Igotstoknow View Post
    Just got back to see what happened. Glad you made it bmore. Always enjoy your perspective. Well, you could probably debate who was the BPA at the Bears pick, but not the best DB imo. It was Dennard. The only reason GOTA and I were leaning Pryor was because the Bears seemed slightly weaker at safety with Walters and Conte than at CB with Tillman and Jennings. That, and GOTA wanted Dennard for Pitt. JK, I have no idea who GOTA wanted. Besides, he made lemonade out of lemons with the Mosley pick. Anyway, if the Bears are moving Tillman to S, then Dennard really was a no brainer. I had not heard that.

As to Donald, I had to pick him for the Giants. He's a great fit there too and I believe they would take him at 12. No doubt the Bears would love him as well, and you're right, Jernigan would have been a reach. Ebron is being mocked all over to the Gmen, but I just don't see it and not just because I'm not a huge fan. I just don't see them taking a big WR who is suspect as a blocker when they have so many other needs. They'd be more likely to take a more traditional TE like Niklas or Seferian-Jenkins in the 2nd imo. I'm just glad Donald was there because it kept me from having to take Zack Martin at 12. I actually think NY is the biggest threat to take him before the Ravens pick.

Well, the Cowboys are up now and they have needs. Would love to replace Ware, but I doubt they're reaching for Ealy or someone like that. They could also use a playmaking S like Pryor. Haven't had one in forever. However, I'd be the most shocked person in America if Jerry Jones passed on Manziel in this scenario. We know he's not afraid of controversy and loves the limelight. Nevertheless, in our draft, the pick belongs to Stealthbirds80, not Jerry Jones.
    Romo's contract is a total nightmare. $55 million guaranteed on a 7 year deal signed just before last season. If they did draft Manziel how do the Cowboys ever get out from under that insane extension they gave Romo? The earliest they can think about moving him is 2017. Honestly it would be more destructive than what the Colts went through with Manning if they cut or traded him before then. I just can't Jerry draft Manziel and admitting that he completely screwed up when he extended Romo.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Romo's contract is a total nightmare. $55 million guaranteed on a 7 year deal signed just before last season. If they did draft Manziel how do the Cowboys ever get out from under that insane extension they gave Romo? The earliest they can think about moving him is 2017. Honestly it would be more destructive than what the Colts went through with Manning if they cut or traded him before then. I just can't Jerry draft Manziel and admitting that he completely screwed up when he extended Romo.
    Everything you say is true and if this were any other owner, I'd say no way too. But the Romo money is a sunk cost. JF only needs to be paid like the 16th pick in the draft for 4 years. Romo is 34 and hasn't won anything. Manziel probably wouldn't start next year anyway, though he pressure to put him out there would be enormous. But if he played and thrived, he'd be the biggest thing to hit Dallas since JR Ewing. And Jones would bask in the reflected glow. It just feels like the big swing JJ would take. Of course, he either hits a grand slam or strikes out swinging. Forgive the baseball metaphors.

Jerry really wanted the DT Donald or DE Anthony Barr, but to no avail and there isn't on really worthy in this none trade version of a draft. After seeing the Seahawks just dismantle Peyton in the Superbowl and then losing to Peyton where the defense was no existent in a shootout, the secondary has to be the pick here. The Cowboys have suffered without good safety play since the 90's so with the 16th selection the Dallas Cowboys select Calvin Pryor.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    Jerry really wanted the DT Donald or DE Anthony Barr, but to no avail and there isn't on really worthy in this none trade version of a draft. After seeing the Seahawks just dismantle Peyton in the Superbowl and then losing to Peyton where the defense was no existent in a shootout, the secondary has to be the pick here. The Cowboys have suffered without good safety play since the 90's so with the 16th selection the Dallas Cowboys select Calvin Pryor.
    Certainly the sane and smart pick. Dallas D has been so bad that they'd almost have to go in that direction. The whole Manziel thing was just me trying to predict what Jerry Jones might do, not what I'd do.

Can I pick for Seattle or are they already taken?

Quote Originally Posted by temp19 View Post
    Can I pick for Seattle or are they already taken?
    Bmorelove asked for Seattle a couple pages back, but the original draft list hasn't been edited yet to reflect it. The thread was started by runrayrun27 so nobody else can change it. He used to be around a lot, but he must be busy with other less important things lately, like life. As far as I know nobody has Wash or Indy, but they don't have picks until the 2nd. Still, you could take one them. Maybe send a PM to runrayrun27. I'd say just take one of those two and make the pick when it comes up. Don't know what else to tell you.