Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2425262728 LastLast

Re: Would the NFL Ban an Owner for Life?

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider;784860[B
    ]If I were Cuban I would be saying the same things[/B]. If there are multiple interested groups there could be some sort a bidding war that could drive the price higher. In that scenario I could see the price going north of $750 mil.
    absolutely...

Was linking that article more because it had the sale price of $550m vs the Forbes value of $405m. To use as a comparison. All fellow owners want each and every team to sell for as much as possible, as it drives the value of their own investment up as well.

For an LA team coming off a deep playoff run, I would think anything under $750m COULD be considered below "market" based on the Bucks sale. There is no question the Clippers are worth MUCH more then the Bucks, even though they were a doormat for decades.

You could say, Sterling actually find one of the best times in his teams history to sell the team. Clippers on the upswing, Lakers on the deep descent.

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    Not really surprised either. The odds were stacked against him. He would have spent millions for what? He paid $12 mil for the Clippers and will make at least $400 mil on his investment. He, and his family wins.
    Pretty sure he will make more than that. But his wife will get at least half. I heard an analysis on espn. They said that sterling only went to court when he was sure he'd win. His style is more to settle. I didn't research it personally, but if they were right, this fits his M.O. yet the media loved to play up the litigation angle.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    You could say, Sterling actually find one of the best times in his teams history to sell the team. Clippers on the upswing, Lakers on the deep descent.
    The Lakers, as bad as they have been recently, are worth much more than the Clippers. I think they are one of the few that are in the $1 billion range in value. They have so much history and a world wide following. The Clippers playoff run this year has spiked their value somewhat but there's no way they are as valuable as the Lakers. My guess is that if Sterling gets any where near $750 mil he'll be ok with that.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
    Pretty sure he will make more than that. But his wife will get at least half. I heard an analysis on espn. They said that sterling only went to court when he was sure he'd win. His style is more to settle. I didn't research it personally, but if they were right, this fits his M.O. yet the media loved to play up the litigation angle.
    Because that arbitration angle doesn't get clicks.

Legally, he had zero options. It was either sell now or have the team ripped from him. Easy decision.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Because that arbitration angle doesn't get clicks. Legally, he had zero options. It was either sell now or have the team ripped from him. Easy decision.
    Sad isn't it. Rather than be tuned into because you give reliable news and analysis, ESPN et al would rather chase sensation to get tuned into.

Sad time we live in.

Former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer buys the Clippers for $2 Billion.

Better to sale it now, than wait for Tuesday's vote.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Combined Federal and California capital gains taxes owed on the sale: ~$655 million

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    Combined Federal and California capital gains taxes owed on the sale: ~$655 million
    That is outrageous!

I think we now know why he acquiesced so quickly...

And yes, that capital gains tax is extravagant to say the least...

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I think we now know why he acquiesced so quickly...

And yes, that capital gains tax is extravagant to say the least...
    Not having the authority or an alternative limits your options.

Not having the authority or an alternative limits your options.
    While I agree he likely would have had to sell the team eventually, he certainly could have dragged this out... IF only by going the divorce route and getting the team into probate as a shared asset.
    getting double what you expected certainly makes your limited options seem worthless...

He could have dragged this out, but why would you with such a high sales price...