Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2122232425 ... LastLast

Re: Would the NFL Ban an Owner for Life?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
    You can file anything on anything. You can hire a lawyer on anything. Doesn't mean a court will hear it.

My position is that his only recourse is to claim that the nba did not/will not follow its own agreements and processes. If they do, it is clear that it ends. If they do not, it may still end with arbitration but may go to a court. The only thing the court could rule on is if the nba followed the agreement they made with Stirling when he bought the team and any ensuing agreements.
    :word

He's throwing anything against the wall to see if it will stick.

Sterling has a lot of money, he's not going to just roll over and die. Well, if it plays out for a long time , it may happen. Sterling needs to hire Mike Sams as a PR guy, that ought to help him out with his battling the nba.. LOL I hope he wins, since when is it racist to say the word black when describing people? To me, with Johnson being in a picture Sterling talked about and then Johnson claiming that Sterling has to go, something smells funny about that. Set up maybe?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    Sterling has a lot of money, he's not going to just roll over and die. Well, if it plays out for a long time , it may happen. Sterling needs to hire Mike Sams as a PR guy, that ought to help him out with his battling the nba.. LOL I hope he wins, since when is it racist to say the word black when describing people? To me, with Johnson being in a picture Sterling talked about and then Johnson claiming that Sterling has to go, something smells funny about that. Set up maybe?
    The issue was Sterling saying on the call, I don't want you hanging around Magic cause he's black. That's not verbatim but it's the jist of what he said.

In a normal situation I don't think anyone should lose something they own because they're racist, sexist or whatever. But he signed an agreement that if his actions hurt the league they can him force out. He did and they will.

[QUOTE=NCRAVEN;783288]The issue was Sterling saying on the call, I don't want you hanging around Magic cause he's black. That's not verbatim but it's the jist of what he said.

Still think he has that right to free speech. Can't see how it hurts the nba by saying Johnson is black. Does he get banned for saying , don't hang with larry bird because he's white. Personally, I think the lynch mob moved too fast in saying Sterling has to go. They seemed to want to bring out the race card using that conversation as a means to get rid of Sterling. Still think, in the end, Sterling is banned, but fights the nba with all the money he has. If he wins the case, does he go after those that wanted him gone, when they called him a racist. Would that be a slander suit?

Blog Entries

Still think he has that right to free speech. Can't see how it hurts the nba by saying Johnson is black. Does he get banned for saying , don't hang with larry bird because he's white. Personally, I think the lynch mob moved too fast in saying Sterling has to go. They seemed to want to bring out the race card using that conversation as a means to get rid of Sterling. Still think, in the end, Sterling is banned, but fights the nba with all the money he has. If he wins the case, does he go after those that wanted him gone, when they called him a racist. Would that be a slander suit?
    No one is saying he doesn't have a right to say it. He can say whatever he wants, but he also has to suffer the consequences, in this case it's him being voted out because in a league of 80% + of the players are black, they don't want to play under a guy who doesn't want his girlfriend hanging around someone cause they're black.

That, and fans want him gone because of that. So in the end he's hurting the league, and as a result he's very likely going to be voted out. If the league does that and he appeals (this is where my knowledge gets shaky) it goes to arbitration and that arbitrator will decide if he was the league was justified or not.

Free speech does not equal freedom from the consequences of your speech.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    No one is saying he doesn't have a right to say it. He can say whatever he wants, but he also has to suffer the consequences, in this case it's him being voted out because in a league of 80% + of the players are black, they don't want to play under a guy who doesn't want his girlfriend hanging around someone cause they're black. That, and fans want him gone because of that. So in the end he's hurting the league, and as a result he's very likely going to be voted out. If the league does that and he appeals (this is where my knowledge gets shaky) it goes to arbitration and that arbitrator will decide if he was the league was justified or not.
    Plus this is just the straw. He has been in legal trouble for racist practices for years in housing and other ventures. This is just the item that raised to the public awareness enough for the nba to want to (and have the ability to) do something.

Anyone who thinks this is about one conversation is uninformed.

Plus this is just the straw. He has been in legal trouble for racist practices for years in housing and other ventures. This is just the item that raised to the public awareness enough for the nba to want to (and have the ability to) do something.

Right, that's why the naacp was going to give him an award. It's all about the money, oprah, Johnson , mayweather all saw a chance to jump on the bandwagon, and offer to buy the team. The lynch mob mentality was evident as soon as the recorded conversation became public. The man is innocent until proven guilty. His weird girlfriend more then likely set him up, along with others. My opinion. Sterling may have dementia, but he also has the balls and money to tell the nba to pound sand. It's that type of personality that probably got him rich. Today's society, people are always upset how others talk and act. If you don't like what your seeing or hearing, move on. To many outsiders think it's their business to police others and ruin their lives. Case in point, Paula Deen, she rebounded quite well because not everyone was offended. Sterling will do fine, he has grit. Now if his wife gets a good lawyer, Sterling could have more problems with her then the nba. LOL

Right, that's why the naacp was going to give him an award.
    You need to do some research. The NAACP was reacting to a huge donation he made. To repair his image. You need to read up on his history.

:word

You need to do some research. The NAACP was reacting to a huge donation he made. To repair his image. You need to read up on his history.
    That's right, money makes everything bad get forgotten. Was he not going to receive an award from the naacp. Would have happened if not for his girlfriend letting taped conversations go public. You need to be current, what happens in the past, is forgotten. Barkley has said enough to be called out on. But that's water under the bridge to people. Can't have it both ways. Sterling has the money to do whayever he can to stay as the owner of the clippers.

That's right, money makes everything bad get forgotten. Was he not going to receive an award from the naacp. Would have happened if not for his girlfriend letting taped conversations go public. You need to be current, what happens in the past, is forgotten. Barkley has said enough to be called out on. But that's water under the bridge to people. Can't have it both ways. Sterling has the money to do whayever he can to stay as the owner of the clippers.
    Right. It was not forgotten. When a guy gives a ton of money, you honor him. If you accept the money.

The NAACP honor did not exonerate his past as you are making it out. The nba wanted to dump him but didn't have a solid issue until he opened his mouth. He bought off all the complaints against him previously so the nba could do nothing.

Nothing was forgotten. This was not about one conversation and I am not sure why you are portraying it as such.