Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1213141516 ... LastLast

Re: Would the NFL Ban an Owner for Life?

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Bomani Jones makes a great point.

Can you provide me with a synopsis? I am Deaf, and I hope you don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dog View Post
    Do you honestly believe the whole team would walk out and miss the playoffs, mar their ego, and most of all, give up those big paychecks because of just hearing this.....I don't even like basketball , so I don't have a dog in this race, totally unbiased ,but if I know pro athletes, most would dis their mother before giving up that kind of money because some owner sideway offended them....Come on man, only some of them were even threatening to walk, and they were more than likely bluffing. IMO.
    It's doesn't matter if I think they would've walked or not. The fact is that the Clippers and Golden State made it clear to Silver that at tip-off they would walk out. They felt confident and united enough to make such a bold declaration. Sometimes the "threat" of is enough to get your point across...and there is no way that the NBA was going to put them in a position to walk out.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Random Thoughts View Post
    Hmm... Or it is that there is a bigger issue that others may have argued here....

I mean... this guy owns this team and he should do as he sees fit. If the Association wants to invalidate his organization or disassociate itself with his organization, that is fine... but to force his ouster... I am not comfortable with that.... It is like a community wanted to boot you from your own home that you outright own it.
    Not a good analogy IMO.

The Association did invalidate him and disassociate itself from him, by banning him for life.

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Random Thoughts View Post
    Can you provide me with a synopsis? I am Deaf, and I hope you don't mind.
    Bomani Jones basically said how fundamentally silly this whole Donald Sterling affair sounds when you really listen to what's being said, about how exasperating it is for those of us who see the everyday effects of race to have to deal with the performative sanctimony of those who deny race's continuing impact in all but the most obvious, largely inconsequential situations, or about the collective failure of the NBA, the media, the players, the coaches, and just about everyone else to comprehend, condemn, and take action against the actually harmful things Sterling has done over the years.

I largely agree with Bomani. Sterling has been a piece of shit the entire time he has own the Clippers. He should have been removed long before this. People across the country only know of this one incident from Sterling, that while shows his racism, didn't hurt anyone. But the years of racist policies in his housing developments and ownership of his team actually hurt people.

Bomani wrote an article about about Sterling in 2006. Basically saying we (sports world) has failed because they allowed Sterling to be an owner for so long. Good read.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...e=jones/060810

Not a good analogy IMO.

The Association did invalidate him and disassociate itself from him, by banning him for life.
    I meant not only himself from the Association, but his organization as well if he isnt going to sell his team.

Bomani Jones basically said how fundamentally silly this whole Donald Sterling affair sounds when you really listen to what's being said, about how exasperating it is for those of us who see the everyday effects of race to have to deal with the performative sanctimony of those who deny race's continuing impact in all but the most obvious, largely inconsequential situations, or about the collective failure of the NBA, the media, the players, the coaches, and just about everyone else to comprehend, condemn, and take action against the actually harmful things Sterling has done over the years.

I largely agree with Bomani. Sterling has been a piece of shit the entire time he has own the Clippers. He should have been removed long before this. People across the country only know of this one incident from Sterling, that while shows his racism, didn't hurt anyone. But the years of racist policies in his housing developments and ownership of his team actually hurt people.

Bomani wrote an article about about Sterling in 2006. Basically saying we (sports world) has failed because they allowed Sterling to be an owner for so long. Good read.

thanks, I appreciated that.

The article was a good read.

It's doesn't matter if I think they would've walked or not. The fact is that the Clippers and Golden State made it clear to Silver that at tip-off they would walk out. They felt confident and united enough to make such a bold declaration. Sometimes the "threat" of is enough to get your point across...and there is no way that the NBA was going to put them in a position to walk out.
    That wouldn't say much for leadership then, if the Commish let's the players dictate to him what they want him to do....
    Here is my prediction in the matter, the league will realize that this will not only cost a fortune to fight in court but create a stigma on itself also with all the dirt being slung around for the next few years in court....Then they will sit down with Sterling's attorneys and try to come to a compromise that will satisfy both sides partially.....Sterling will apologize publicly, and admit that he was in a jealous rage over his girlfriend and the AA players she'd been hanging out with, pay the fine and do some therapy.....All will be forgiven," if he chooses to keep the team," and the NBA will accept...

That wouldn't say much for leadership then, if the Commish let's the players dictate to him what they want him to do....
    Here is my prediction in the matter, the league will realize that this will not only cost a fortune to fight in court but create a stigma on itself also with all the dirt being slung around for the next few years in court....Then they will sit down with Sterling's attorneys and try to come to a compromise that will satisfy both sides partially.....Sterling will apologize publicly, and admit that he was in a jealous rage over his girlfriend and the AA players she'd been hanging out with, pay the fine and do some therapy.....All will be forgiven," if he chooses to keep the team," and the NBA will accept...
    Wow

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Sorry dude. That just isn't going to happen.

I'll take that bet.

$20 to the winners charity of choice.

I say he's no longer owner come the start of next season.

Blog Entries

Bomani is spot on.

Bit of a side note, im not sure forcing him to sell the team is punishment as he'll likely walk away 500 mill +

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Bomani is spot on.

Bit of a side note, im not sure forcing him to sell the team is punishment as he'll likely walk away 500 mill +
    He'll pay upwards of $160 mil in capital gains tax at that $500 mil sale price, which why this whole thing is not going to end with just a vote. I think AirFlacco mentioned it earlier, there will be challenges to the league bylaws. The courts will end up settling this whole thing in the end.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis