Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 25262728 LastLast

Re: Would the NFL Ban an Owner for Life?

No, he couldn't have dragged this out. Not with the arbitration agreement.

And he didn't sell the team. His wife did.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    No, he couldn't have dragged this out. Not with the arbitration agreement.

And he didn't sell the team. His wife did.
    I know you are SUPREMELY confident in your stance re: dragging it out, and I know why(MRS HR) but I simply don't buy it. sorry. It is what it is. The arbitration agreement doesn't block out the sun, the constitution and every other law and practice in this country.

And the Sterlings are still married, so they both sold it.

Would the NFL Ban an Owner for Life?

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I know you are SUPREMELY confident in your stance re: dragging it out, and I know why(MRS HR) but I simply don't buy it. sorry. It is what it is. The arbitration agreement doesn't block out the sun, the constitution and every other law and practice in this country.
    Certainly your right to believe that. I have hundreds of cases and precedent on my side, all concluding what I've been saying about binding arbitration.

There's no constitutional dispute in this matter so you bringing that up is a straw man.

And the Sterlings are still married, so they both sold it.
    He gave her permission to sell. She sold the team.
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 05-30-2014 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Certainly your right to believe that. I have hundreds of cases and precedent on my side, all concluding what I've been saying about binding arbitration.

There's no constitutional dispute in this matter so you bringing that up is a straw man.

So if the owners voted him "out" and the top bid for the team was $1 he has no recourse?

That isn't an anti-trust violation as the owners conspired against him? Not all "media legal experts" agree with you.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba...am-silver-nba/

and another that includes precedent.
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...429-story.html

So if the owners voted him "out" and the top bid for the team was $1 he has no recourse?
    Him selling and voting him out are two different things.

Because of the binding arbitration agreement, he had two options -- not sell and get voted out or sell and make some cash -- and he went with the option that was best for him.

That isn't an anti-trust violation as the owners conspired against him? Not all "media legal experts" agree with you.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba...am-silver-nba/

and another that includes precedent.
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...429-story.html
    For one, the SI article has been posted probably a half a dozen times, has been rebutted in full and is now over a month old. It couldn't be any less topical to this discussion.

The LA Times article is just as old and ponders things that we know are true or not true, now that a month has passed and things have changed since its writing. The author suggest their bylaws may be binding "like arbitration". Well, we now know it's is in fact a binding arbitration agreement and that Sterling signed it. The author is discredited by the second paragraph.

I aware of the anti-trust claims and I don't care what the media "experts" say. The owners are allowed to collude amongst themselves when the topic of their collusion is league business. By these "experts" definition, every decision that they make is subject to anti-trust violation. It's a very lazy way to examine the evidence. As discussed earlier in the thread, saying Sterling has options gets more clicks. Arbitration restrictions do not.

BTW, for someone who is over the top skeptical of the media, you sure do rely on them when it suits your argument.

Glad you moved on from the Constitutional side of the coin though.

By constitution I was hinting at Anti-trust.

In this day and age, our litigious society with bench legislation being standard practice, I simply suggest that finding a judge to block the sale/theft of the team for a matter of weeks or months is a reasonable scenario, IMO. Never once came remotely close to suggesting he would win, simply that he could delay long enough to get a fair sale price(which, I originally thought would be closer to next season starting). He obviously needed to do NONE of that to get a well above fair sale price so it is totally moot at this point.

NBA has approved the sale. Now it goes to the owners for a vote.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...geles-clippers

As part of the sale agreement, Shelly Sterling and the Sterling family trust have agreed not to sue the NBA and to absolve the NBA of litigation by others, including Donald Sterling.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
    Pretty sure he will make more than that. But his wife will get at least half. I heard an analysis on espn. They said that sterling only went to court when he was sure he'd win. His style is more to settle. I didn't research it personally, but if they were right, this fits his M.O. yet the media loved to play up the litigation angle.
    $2 billion. Wow! I didn't see that coming, nor did anyone else. I thought maybe if there were several interested groups bidding that it would drive the price up, but man that's an insane amount of money.

I think Sterling laughs all the way to the bank.
    Last edited by lowrider; 05-31-2014 at 10:00 AM.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

By constitution I was hinting at Anti-trust. In this day and age, our litigious society with bench legislation being standard practice, I simply suggest that finding a judge to block the sale/theft of the team for a matter of weeks or months is a reasonable scenario, IMO. Never once came remotely close to suggesting he would win, simply that he could delay long enough to get a fair sale price(which, I originally thought would be closer to next season starting). He obviously needed to do NONE of that to get a well above fair sale price so it is totally moot at this point.
    The man would have to be insane to postpone a $2 billion sale.

Oh, wait.....

Oh, wait.....
    yup...

and would have to be insane to NOT attempt to postpone a $300m sale price, if that was the offer...

I was ASSuming, that was the type of "fire sale" offers he was going to receive. A few pages back I "estimated" the value around $800m, based on Forbes #'s and recent sales(Bucks).

Oh, wait.....
    LOL

Oh, wait.....
    Well played, Sir