Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2223242526 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Would the NFL Ban an Owner for Life?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Free speech does not equal freedom from the consequences of your speech.
    sooo many people dont understand that.
    -JAB

So I guess Cuban is next to get voted out?

His comments, out of context can be taken as racist, and even worse, they were made publicly and intentionally...

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post

His comments, out of context can be taken as racist, and even worse, they were made publicly and intentionally...
    And if frogs didn't jump so high, they wouldn't hit their butts on the ground.

As you point out, we have context. There was context with Sterlings words. You can't just say "lets remove context".

And if frogs didn't jump so high, they wouldn't hit their butts on the ground.

As you point out, we have context. There was context with Sterlings words. You can't just say "lets remove context".
    I was being somewhat sarcastic and playing on the slippery slope idea.
    I certainly see the difference between the two, but in this ultra-PC world we live in, it's only a matter of time, IMO.

IMO, Cuban should be thinking long and hard prior to voting... that's really my point.
    Clearly Sterling is a despicable person and Cuban meant no ill will... however...

I was being somewhat sarcastic and playing on the slippery slope idea.
    I certainly see the difference between the two, but in this ultra-PC world we live in, it's only a matter of time, IMO.

IMO, Cuban should be thinking long and hard prior to voting... that's really my point.
    Clearly Sterling is a despicable person and Cuban meant no ill will... however...
    Well, the media is certainly trying to spin it that way. ESPN is calling his words "a controversy" when in fact, when you listen to his words, he's commenting on the concept of prejudice.

Well, the media is certainly trying to spin it that way. ESPN is calling his words "a controversy" when in fact, when you listen to his words, he's commenting on the concept of prejudice.
    100% exactly my point. Anyone with half a brain that hears the entirety of the quote can identify and understand Cuban's POV. BUT, that is NOT the world we live in... it should give the owners reason to pause before this vote.

If enough people start crying, he will get voted out.

That is the only rule in force these days. By-laws, laws, precedent, common sense, none should be consulted. Simply act the way the mob wishes you to act, or else....

100% exactly my point. Anyone with half a brain that hears the entirety of the quote can identify and understand Cuban's POV. BUT, that is NOT the world we live in... it should give the owners reason to pause before this vote.
    I see what you're saying. I just don't think the bolded part would happen because of context.

I think the owners are smart enough to know the difference between a racist rant and commentary on prejudice. Now the media, obviously, doesn't know or doesn't care about the difference.

ESPN just spent 20 full minutes on it. All of their panelists were black and not one of them had any issue with what Cuban said in spite of the incessant prodding by Linda Cohn.

This time next week we won't be talking about Cuban. Well, for this issue anyway. With Cuban, you never know. :)

I see what you're saying. I just don't think the bolded part would happen because of context.

I think the owners are smart enough to know the difference between a racist rant and commentary on prejudice. Now the media, obviously, doesn't know or doesn't care about the difference.

ESPN just spent 20 full minutes on it. All of their panelists were black and not one of them had any issue with what Cuban said in spite of the incessant prodding by Linda Cohn.

This time next week we won't be talking about Cuban. Well, for this issue anyway. With Cuban, you never know. :)
    you may certainly be correct, but IMO, it would be a short-sighted move, particularly in light of the current goings-on...
    If they don't think this will head down a slippery slope, I have to wonder what country they live in.... heck, what planet they live on...

you may certainly be correct, but IMO, it would be a short-sighted move, particularly in light of the current goings-on...
    If they don't think this will head down a slippery slope, I have to wonder what country they live in.... heck, what planet they live on...
    See, that I don't agree with. Just because there's a potential for something to slide down that slope doesn't mean it will.

See, that I don't agree with. Just because there's a potential for something to slide down that slope doesn't mean it will.
    when has that ever not been the case?

when has that ever not been the case?
    You're asking me to prove a negative. Impossible.