Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Re: Forget Zack Martin; could be a run on OTs

TL's latest column includes an answer to a reader's question regarding Martin. TL claims he's been informed by two team officials that Martin does not fit what the Ravens are looking for, particularly as a potential right tackle. Smokescreen? Maybe, maybe not. Everyone lies this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    TL's latest column includes an answer to a reader's question regarding Martin. TL claims he's been informed by two team officials that Martin does not fit what the Ravens are looking for, particularly as a potential right tackle. Smokescreen? Maybe, maybe not. Everyone lies this time of year.
    If that is indeed true then it would mean in the Ravens' eyes they see Zach Martin as mostly an interior O-line prospect. I gather that they aren't the only team that would see him that way if true.

If he cannot play tackle then he isn't of value to the Ravens, period.

We'll see soon enough how this plays out.

C DiP
    Poundin' da rock & Punishin' D wins games, period!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CDiPiranha View Post
    If that is indeed true then it would mean in the Ravens' eyes they see Zach Martin as mostly an interior O-line prospect. I gather that they aren't the only team that would see him that way if true.

C DiP
    I questioned Martin's ability to play right tackle in the pros in the Ebron thread. I am not a scout, but I have read multiple places that there are question marks among some teams regarding that. And, like I said, there are so many lies that get floated around during the draft process, so who knows anything really. We'll see if Martin's the pick if he's available at 17, which is certainly a possibility. He appears to be one of those prospects that has been pegged up and down the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    He wrote that "the Ravens learned from Marshal Yanda that a good lineman can be found in the middle rounds."

Yeah, OK. Let's hope the "two team officials" he consulted are kept far, far away from the draft room on the big day... because that "mid round OL" strategy struck out horrifically on Oniel Cousins, David Hale, Jah Reid, and Gino Gradkowski. In other words, EVERY mid-round OL taken over the last 6 years other than Wagner/Jensen last year, who we don't know enough about yet.

Not necessarily saying that strategy should be permanently mothballed, in fact I'm a fan of continually drafting mid-round linemen, but to pass up on one of the best players in the class because you drafted a Pro Bowler in the 4th round once upon a time makes no sense to me. Not doubting that TL heard it but doubting that it's gospel with respect to what the team actually plans to do.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    He wrote that "the Ravens learned from Marshal Yanda that a good lineman can be found in the middle rounds."

Yeah, OK. Let's hope the "two team officials" he consulted are kept far, far away from the draft room on the big day... because that "mid round OL" strategy struck out horrifically on Oniel Cousins, David Hale, Jah Reid, and Gino Gradkowski. In other words, EVERY mid-round OL taken over the last 6 years other than Wagner/Jensen last year, who we don't know enough about yet.

Not necessarily saying that strategy should be permanently mothballed, in fact I'm a fan of continually drafting mid-round linemen, but to pass up on one of the best players in the class because you drafted a Pro Bowler in the 4th round once upon a time makes no sense to me. Not doubting that TL heard it but doubting that it's gospel with respect to what the team actually plans to do.
    Yanda was a 3rd rounder. I guess that could be considered a "middle rounder", but I think more of the 4th and 5th rounds as the middle rounds.

C DiP
    Not meaning to jump on top here but wouldn't a pro-bowl LG, which many scouts think Martin would be, be worth it at 17, thus moving KO back to RT, a place where he fits the Ravens' OL scheme? I would think so. ''But again, I think the point is moot: Martin will be gone by 17.

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Not meaning to jump on top here but wouldn't a pro-bowl LG, which many scouts think Martin would be, be worth it at 17, thus moving KO back to RT, a place where he fits the Ravens' OL scheme? I would think so. ''But again, I think the point is moot: Martin will be gone by 17.
    I remember the "good ole days" when the most common mocks has us taking Martin at 17 and Ward at 48. That was a week and a half ago. Who knows what things will look like in another week and a half.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post

Your last statement there says it all. Who knows if what TL allegedly heard is "gospel" or not. Again, there are lies and smokescreens galore this time of year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Loyola View Post
    I'd take Thomas with the 99th pick (the 3rd rd comp pick). You'd effectively be redshirting him for 2014 - sort of this years Kapron Moore. He's too good a talent pass on - after all you have to have a long term perspective for roster building.

Teams are not going to go after him with a regular draft pick - they're too valuable. Not too many teams have "freebie" comp picks
    That's too soon to me. Kapron Moore was a 6th round pick. That is good value for a player you want to stash on IR. 3rd round (#99) there are still healthy players to be chosen... Bc

Blog Entries

I think Kelechi Osemele is not as significant in the decision of who to pick, as we may think. It is great that he seems to be ahead of schedule and all. However, at the end of the day, back surgery is back surgery. If you believe that Zach Martin has the 'promising' potential to be an All Pro, or even a Pro Bowl level LG, you don't pass on him, in favor of a guy who just had back surgery, especially when he hasn't even had the chance to prove that he is back yet.

Now, whether or not you see him as a RT or LG is another story.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

C DiP
    Smoke screen for sure. Hortiz said some team will draft Zack as an OT and Mel said he could play there. Doesn't matter anyway. He's not dropping but if he did, Oz would take him. He'd be the BAA for sure and at a position of need. Hortiz said he can play every position on the line and was even worked out at Center during SR Bowl week. Everyone knows how Oz loves players that can play 2 positions and Zack can play every where on the line.

HI C DIP. Glad to see you over here. We need you here man.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-28-2014 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    Personally I've been thinking that the Ravens don't have to draft Martin to have a good O-Line. There's Billy Turner, Ja'Wuan James, and Cameron Fleming in the 2nd and Antonio Richardson, Jack Mewhort, and Cyrus Kouandijo in Round 3. There's some depth at RT.
    Cyrus K will go in the first round.
    Write that down.