Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Forget Zack Martin; could be a run on OTs

The whole thing about a tackle is whether the guy would be better there than KO. I haven't heard anything so as far as I know, KO could still play RT, leaving the Ravens needing a LG instead of RT. It all depends on what kind of RT they think KO can come back to be after the injury. We know how good he can be at LG, but that might be easier to fill later on.

Still, after last year, a guy who can play both T and G at a decent NFL level is going to be hard to pass up in the first. Luckily I think the flexibility is there, thanks to KO, that the Ravens aren't locked in at having to take a T.

As weve been saying a while now, adding to the line makes your whole offense better. You make Flacco, Rice, Pitta, Torrey, etc., all better, rather than adding one new guy at TE or WR to represent an upgrade at one position only. To me that makes the Zack Martins way more valuable -- to the Ravens at least, maybe not to the "market" but to the Ravens, and the way they are currently configured, a guy like Martin could be worth 30-40 percent more to us than to a team with a killer O line already.

IF he's there. If not, the next guy on the list might not represent the same value, so it will be interesting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Money227 View Post
    I would actually be very comfortable with the Ravens selecting Brandon Thomas at the end of the 3rd.

As far as safety is concerned. Jimmie Ward is that guy for me. I actually think he's the best cover safety in the draft. I would absolutely, 100% want him at #17 over Pryor.
    Eh, I'd pick Brandon Thomas in the 5th or 6th. He just tore his ACL in a workout for the Saints April 7th. I don't want to take a 3rd rounder who has 0 chance of playing this year.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Eh, I'd pick Brandon Thomas in the 5th or 6th. He just tore his ACL in a workout for the Saints April 7th. I don't want to take a 3rd rounder who has 0 chance of playing this year.
    He won't be there for the Ravens in the 4th (let alone the 5th or 6th).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Money227 View Post
    He won't be there for the Ravens in the 4th (let alone the 5th or 6th).
    I think that's pushing it a bit. The guy was a 2nd/3rd round talent before getting injured. The injury will absolutely affect his status. He'll get drafted, but I think a team would be nuts to take him in the 3rd round and pass on getting a player that will help right away, vs Thomas who is a year away.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    The whole thing about a tackle is whether the guy would be better there than KO. I haven't heard anything so as far as I know, KO could still play RT, leaving the Ravens needing a LG instead of RT. It all depends on what kind of RT they think KO can come back to be after the injury. We know how good he can be at LG, but that might be easier to fill later on.

Still, after last year, a guy who can play both T and G at a decent NFL level is going to be hard to pass up in the first. Luckily I think the flexibility is there, thanks to KO, that the Ravens aren't locked in at having to take a T.

As weve been saying a while now, adding to the line makes your whole offense better. You make Flacco, Rice, Pitta, Torrey, etc., all better, rather than adding one new guy at TE or WR to represent an upgrade at one position only. To me that makes the Zack Martins way more valuable -- to the Ravens at least, maybe not to the "market" but to the Ravens, and the way they are currently configured, a guy like Martin could be worth 30-40 percent more to us than to a team with a killer O line already.

IF he's there. If not, the next guy on the list might not represent the same value, so it will be interesting.
    Could be that "KO at LG" has been more-or-less a smoke screen all along; and internally, the staff is non-committal. Easy enough for him to learn/re-learn both positions over the past three months. His flexibility is very helpful for the Draft. No sense in taking that card off the table.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I think that's pushing it a bit. The guy was a 2nd/3rd round talent before getting injured. The injury will absolutely affect his status. He'll get drafted, but I think a team would be nuts to take him in the 3rd round and pass on getting a player that will help right away, vs Thomas who is a year away.
    He was very solidly a 2nd round talent and his stock was soaring before the injury. I would actually bet there would be some 1st round talk if not for the injury. How many snaps did the Ravens get out of Brandon Williams last year? I'm talking about pick #99 in the 3rd, not pick #79.

We'll just have to agree to disagree, but I will be shocked if Thomas hasn't been selected by the time the draft gets to pick #134 for the Ravens.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    Personally I've been thinking that the Ravens don't have to draft Martin to have a good O-Line. There's Billy Turner, Ja'Wuan James, and Cameron Fleming in the 2nd and Antonio Richardson, Jack Mewhort, and Cyrus Kouandijo in Round 3. There's some depth at RT.
    I agree, and JJames is a favorite of mine. He has quite a bit of experience @ RT. I would like to get him in the 2nd round... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Could be that "KO at LG" has been more-or-less a smoke screen all along; and internally, the staff is non-committal. Easy enough for him to learn/re-learn both positions over the past three months. His flexibility is very helpful for the Draft. No sense in taking that card off the table.
    I think it's a combination of smokescreen / fact. There's no reason to declare to the world, right now, which position he'll play. Doing that would take a card off the table, so it makes total sense that they won't do it.

Since he can play either, they legitimately have the option. Plus Wagner in the back pocket, who I assume will battle the rookie for that 5th / 6th O line spot. (Or whatever, depending on a late FA vet signing that we can't project or account for right now).

I don't know if his injury suits him better to one position or the other. That may be something of a factor, but I have to assume that if he's healthy, he's good to go at either one.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    I think it's a combination of smokescreen / fact. There's no reason to declare to the world, right now, which position he'll play. Doing that would take a card off the table, so it makes total sense that they won't do it.

Since he can play either, they legitimately have the option. Plus Wagner in the back pocket, who I assume will battle the rookie for that 5th / 6th O line spot. (Or whatever, depending on a late FA vet signing that we can't project or account for right now).

I don't know if his injury suits him better to one position or the other. That may be something of a factor, but I have to assume that if he's healthy, he's good to go at either one.
    I've thought about this too. Guess we'll see (or actually...we don't want to see!) this summer.

Would love to see Wagner and Jensen fighting for spots deep into camp no matter who we draft.
    Two areas where lack of depth drives me most crazy...OL and CB; you're just begging to get exploited.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Jimmy Ward, Donte Moncrief, and a Tennessee tackle makes this a solid draft for us. Pick up some depth for the d-line (Will Sutton at DE, Ryan Carrethers at NT) and we're set.
    Except you haven't addressed the lack of cornerback depth on the roster. I would be surprised if the Ravens walk out of the draft without at least one CB, and they will try to grab more as UDFAs and from other teams' roster cuts.

I'd take Thomas with the 99th pick (the 3rd rd comp pick). You'd effectively be redshirting him for 2014 - sort of this years Kapron Moore. He's too good a talent pass on - after all you have to have a long term perspective for roster building.

Teams are not going to go after him with a regular draft pick - they're too valuable. Not too many teams have "freebie" comp picks

Quote Originally Posted by Loyola View Post
    I'd take Thomas with the 99th pick (the 3rd rd comp pick). You'd effectively be redshirting him for 2014 - sort of this years Kapron Moore. He's too good a talent pass on - after all you have to have a long term perspective for roster building.

Teams are not going to go after him with a regular draft pick - they're too valuable. Not too many teams have "freebie" comp picks
    There is a bit of fallacy in that thought. While the compensatory picks are additional picks, they really aren't freebies - they are payment for the cost of losing and signing free agents. Also, the Ravens 3rd round compensatory pick (#99), is still a more valuable pick than, say, the Seattle Seahawks' regular 4th rounder (#132). While a team can't trade the pick, choosing the 99th player on the board is better than choosing the 132nd player on the board. I can easily see a team who wants Thomas to go after him with whichever pick they have near his value to them - compensatory pick or not.