Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Forget Zack Martin; could be a run on OTs

I mentioned on the other thread there could be a run on OTs and Martin could be off the board before our pick. So for you guys that didn't want him, don't worry. He probably won't be there according to Kiper.

He says all 4 OTs could be gone by #16. I posted on the other thread that the first 3 of 4 players taken last year were OTs. Only two non o-linemen were drafted in the first 11 picks. There was a run on linemen last year and could be this year too.

The Michigan guy, Lewan, is supposed to drop to middle rounds but Mel thinks he'll go higher as high as #6. I've been posting if he doesn't drop to Giants, they'll take Zack Martin. Their Big Blue board has a thread saying how they need a OT.

Mel said what we've been posting. Zack is the safe pick @ 17 and is game-ready now. He's one of the best blockers in the draft and he can play every position on the line. Mel says he's reliable and consistent.

Some here think he's an OG but someone will take him as OT. Hortiz of the Ravens says he can play OT and Mel says so too. What a payday that would be for Martin rising from the 2d round where he was originally projected to #12 after a monster SR Bowl week.

Looking more like Pryor could be the pick at 17 unless Ebron falls and Ozzie wants him. That wouldn't be so bad either and we can still get our T in the 2d round with one of the other studs.

Mel Kiper: Tackles Won't Last Till No. 17
    Posted Apr 25, 2014

Ryan Mink
    BaltimoreRavens.com Staff Writer
    @Ravens All Ryan Mink Articles
    Offensive tackles Taylor Lewan and Zack Martin may be off the board before the Ravens are up.

If the Ravens want a big-time offensive tackle, they may have to trade up.
    ESPN’s Mel Kiper believes four offensive tackles will be taken with the first 16 picks. Unfortunately for those fans that want more protection for Joe Flacco, Baltimore is on the clock at No. 17.
    Across numerous mock drafts, Auburn’s Greg Robinson and Texas A&M’s Jake Matthews are shoo-ins as top-10 picks. That leaves Michigan’s Taylor Lewan and Notre Dame’s Zack Martin as possibilities.
    But Kiper is very high on Lewan and sees Martin’s stock rising as the draft approaches, which could make them unavailable for the Ravens.
    “Zack Martin, I don’t think will be there. I don’t think any chance of Lewan being there,” Kiper said. “I would say, for Martin or Lewan, you have to look at an alternative plan.”
    There is some thought that Lewan could slide into the middle of the first round because of off-field troubles. He still faces three misdemeanor assault charges stemming from a fight following this year’s Michigan-Ohio State game.
    However, Kiper has Lewan projected at No. 6 to the Atlanta Falcons in his latest mock draft, and believes he’s the third or fourth best player overall in the draft. Kiper said Lewan is better right now than Robinson, although he doesn’t have as much upside.
    “[Lewan’s] pass protection skills have improved this year to where you weren’t beating him,” Kiper said. “He’s got great speed, great balance, got a punch. He can get after you as a run blocker. To me, Lewan is a nasty, tough street fighter. He’s a battler.”
    Martin was seen as a mid-to-late round prospect for much of this offseason, but may be creeping up boards in part because he’s seen as a “safe pick.” Some pundits have called him the cleanest player in the draft.
    Martin was steady as a left tackle for four years at Notre Dame, giving evaluators plenty of game tape. He can play multiple positions on the offensive line. He also shined during Senior Bowl practices.
    “The kid is a reliable, consistent player,” Kiper said. “He’ll come in there right away and help you. He’s the safe pick. He could go anywhere in the top 17 who needs an offensive lineman. That’s down to Baltimore picking at No. 17.”
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-27-2014 at 09:56 PM.