11 25.58%
  • Beckham

26 60.47%
  • Cooks

6 13.95%
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Re: Gun to your head WR scenario

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    so according to you we should draft someone like Jimmie ward at 17 over Beckham because we need FS more? Free agency is for need. Not draft.
    NO, there is CERTAIN to be better value there then that.

But I would ABSOLUTELY take Nix, Tuitt, Pryor or Barr over Beckaham.

FA may be for need, but we don't have a FS and there are NONE starting caliber left on the market. So this is literally our last chance to grab one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    no chance they are all gone, and youa re sort of making my point. PLENTY of WR talent available DEEP into the second and third round.

at FS, the is Clinton-Dix and "sort of" Pryor and Jimmy Ward. All likely will be gone by 48 with nothing to follow, worth starting at least.

There are 15 or more WR's worthy of our pick at 79, maybe even 20... all could eventually be a starter in this league in the future when called upon.
    2009. Last offensive first rd draft pick.

Blog Entries

NO, there is CERTAIN to be better value there then that.

But I would ABSOLUTELY take Nix, Tuitt, Pryor or Barr over Beckaham.

FA may be for need, but we don't have a FS and there are NONE starting caliber left on the market. So this is literally our last chance to grab one.
    summer cuts, Kerry Rhodes.

5 years since drafting 1st rd talent on offense

Blog Entries

We already have two 1st rd picks in our secondary. Now we need to go rd 1 at FS just because they are scarce in this year's draft?

That seems more of a reach to me than WR at 17. Don't reach for FS just because they are more scarce...that is when you get into trouble with drafting for need.

Three 1st rd secondary picks in the AFCN also seems like overkill.

There will be solid starting FS to be drafted in the mid rounds, the Ravens just need to pick the right guy. That includes those who have played a lot of safety in college and the corner converts. There's a solid handful of guys to be had in that range.

I would love to have Ward, but in the first I think Ozzie has to go offense.

My $.02 on FS

HHCDix is a fraud. Another Bama DB destined to disappoint.
    Pryor is a nice SS/alright FS but its duplication with Elam
    Ward is alright but another under 6" guy
    My favorite is Bucannon by far. Size/Speed and he was excellent on a crappy team. He didn't have a team of college allstars that covered up his errors like Dix had with the Saban System.

Now should they reach for Bucannon b/c of need? Maybe in the 2nd round.

I dont agree that RT is as big of need as many of you think. Martin is a favorite here, but I think he is again a duplication of Yanda and KO. Excellent OG but alright RT. And we have Wagner, who may become a Kubes system RT that excels. I agree that if Lewan is there... run the pick in b/c he is Canton caliber at RT... but Martin?? I dont know if the team value is really there with him.

I'd say a #1/1B receiver is a much greater need. The Ravens have a #1B guy in Torrey who can't run routes well and they got a band aid with Steve Smith. Past that... not much. Ok Brown is a nice redzone guy and could develop into a solid #2, but they still need a dominant guy. Again, I think Cooks and OBJ can be that guy (Lee... close.. but speed and dropsies are what make me question him)

Let's face it also... they really need an interior DLineman that can collapse the pocket also.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    My $.02 on FS

My favorite is Bucannon by far. Size/Speed and he was excellent on a crappy team. He didn't have a team of college allstars that covered up his errors like Dix had with the Saban System.

I dont agree that RT is as big of need as many of you think. Martin is a favorite here, but I think he is again a duplication of Yanda and KO. Excellent OG but alright RT. And we have Wagner, who may become a Kubes system RT that excels. I agree that if Lewan is there... run the pick in b/c he is Canton caliber at RT... but Martin?? I dont know if the team value is really there with him.

I'd say a #1/1B receiver is a much greater need. The Ravens have a #1B guy in Torrey who can't run routes well and they got a band aid with Steve Smith. Past that... not much. Ok Brown is a nice redzone guy and could develop into a solid #2, but they still need a dominant guy. Again, I think Cooks and OBJ can be that guy (Lee... close.. but speed and dropsies are what make me question him)

Let's face it also... they really need an interior DLineman that can collapse the pocket also.
    I just created a thread that analyzed draft pick distribution on our current roster.

The lowest was S at 6.8 approximate round in the draft.
    The next lowest was WR at 5.2 approximate round in the draft.

Ed Reed was 5'10/11".

I think Ward is the best "center fielder" coverage S. Everything I've read about Buchanon is that he is a straight line guy that isn't great in coverage. Clinton-Dix scares me because of the Alabama program. And Pryor I agree seems a little too close to Elam (thumper, but slightly more rangy than Elam).

I still say WR is a need. My little analysis shows it to be also. S is also a need obviously. But I just don't feel comfortable taking Clinton-Dix or Pryor in rd. 1. And I fear someone might snag Ward earlier than our 2nd rd pick.

We already have two 1st rd picks in our secondary. Now we need to go rd 1 at FS just because they are scarce in this year's draft?

That seems more of a reach to me than WR at 17. Don't reach for FS just because they are more scarce...that is when you get into trouble with drafting for need.

Three 1st rd secondary picks in the AFCN also seems like overkill.
    2 First rounders and it's still BY FAR the weakest position group on the team right now.
    I think the difference between the 3rd FS and 4th FS is greater then the difference between the 3rd wr and the 14th or 15th WR... I think teams drafting an entire round later will feel they got the better players then the 3rd WR taken. MId first round is a poor value, IMO, especially when WR isn't a huge need.

HHCD and Pryor are rated better then Reid and Vacarro from last year, according to most of the talking heads.

I'll blow you away with this one, but I can see a scenario where Cyrus Kuandijo is less of a reach at 17 then Beckham, and again fills a bigger need.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    My $.02 on FS

Even if Wagner is good enough to play RT, who plays LT iff Monroe is hurt?
    Who is backing up at RT, and what does that do to our depth on the inside?
    I'd trade our third to move up for Lewan in an Ideal world, followed closely by the same ammo to get Mike Evans... Because I agree that "TRUE #1" viable need, but I don't believe anyone past Watkins and Evans project that highly. I just happen to think that we can wait until later to get a guy to "add to the mix" particularly when a guy we take a round or two later isn't much if any worse.

I'd be quite happy with Nix at 17, and Tuitt in a trade back scenario, but again I'd take Tuitt before any WR not named Watkins/Evans.

Gilbert or Dennard would certainly be my choices ahead of Beckham, perhaps even Fuller.

Blog Entries

I'd trade our third to move up for Lewan in an Ideal world, followed closely by the same ammo to get Mike Evans... Because I agree that "TRUE #1" viable need, but I don't believe anyone past Watkins and Evans project that highly. I just happen to think that we can wait until later to get a guy to "add to the mix" particularly when a guy we take a round or two later isn't much if any worse.

I'd be quite happy with Nix at 17, and Tuitt in a trade back scenario, but again I'd take Tuitt before any WR not named Watkins/Evans.

Gilbert or Dennard would certainly be my choices ahead of Beckham, perhaps even Fuller.
    The amount of high picks we have invested in CB and OLB/DE trumps WR.

There is great disparity in drafted talent at certain positions on this team.

Backup RT they are fine b/c they could have Yanda or KO move out.. Jensen inside. Backup LT is KO, and I agree its less than ideal, but you can't always have a great backup situation if the starter goes down (what would have happened if Flacco went down). I think Wagner could move to the LT also. Martin, and his short arms, is no more a solution to the backup LT position as those guys. Maybe, if the Ravens would have drafted better OL recently they wouldn't have been in this dicey backup LT issue. They have spend some pretty high picks on OL that have flopped. Why is Jah Reid still on the team??? Only reason I can think of its a big embarrassment cutting such a high draft pick. No GM likes admitting they F-ed up a high pick... Oz included... that's why they keep them through their rookie contract.

You don't think Cooks and Beckham can be #1s. That's fine. I think they can. I strongly think Dix will likely bust, at least disappoint relative to draft position. Many disagree. I could be wrong.

Blog Entries

The amount of high picks we have invested in CB and OLB/DE trumps WR.

There is great disparity in drafted talent at certain positions on this team.
    If Ozzie truly drafts BPA, then you would see an uneven drafting of positions. For instance : the Ravens drafted Duane Starks 1st (CB) in 1998, then Chris McAlister 1st(CB) in 1999. Ravens won SB XXXV in 2000... Bc