11 25.58%
  • Beckham

26 60.47%
  • Cooks

6 13.95%
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 10111213 LastLast

Re: Gun to your head WR scenario

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Because I didn't want to have a limitless thread topic. It is stupid to provide guideline boundaries to focus discussion?

It was simply an exercise in matching current big board WR rankings to our spot 17.

Kiper has Cooks ranked 12 overall. Beckham 13 overall. Lee 23 overall. We have 17. If it is stupid to correlate the rankings of those particular WRs to spot 17...well I disagree. Kipers range of those WRs runs from 12-23. 17 is literally right in the middle of that range.
    When you have 11 pages of people only begrudgingly choosing one of your options and begging out for help to allow us to do ANYTHING ELSE with the pick it should give you your answer. The bulk of the board finds little value in the WR position at pick #17. IT doesn't matter what Kiper says.

Quote Originally Posted by Brien Jackson View Post
    Um...I'm hoping and praying they don't pick a WR (other than Watkins or Evans, obviously) at 17 because that would be a really, really, bad pick in terms of value and present roster. Not to win some pointless internet discussion with someone who thinks you need to rotate your first round picks by position to keep everything even or something.
    Thanks.. Eloquently what I have spent pages trying to point out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Your scenario proposed us to discuss only those players. You are now seeing why we thought it was a dumb thread....

Just like I thought you were a little dumb in your protectiveness that these were the only three players we were allowed to talk about in this thread....
    Quote Originally Posted by Brien Jackson View Post
    Um...I'm hoping and praying they don't pick a WR (other than Watkins or Evans, obviously) at 17 because that would be a really, really, bad pick in terms of value and present roster. Not to win some pointless internet discussion with someone who thinks you need to rotate your first round picks by position to keep everything even or something.
    Yeah guys my scenario was totally unrealistic and "dumb", no way the Ravens would take a WR at 17. So dumb that one of the NFL's top insiders (La Canfora) just created an article saying almost the exact same thing this thread is about:

Ultimately, I believe six may end up going in the first 32 picks, depending on how soon the run starts at the top. If the Bucs end up taking a quarterback, for instance, and Watkins still ends up going around 10, then perhaps it's more like five who go overall. For all the talk about how quarterbacks are going to be dropping -- another draft "truism" that I'd caution against -- in the end, with so much depth at receiver and so much variety, might that end up pushing them down a little deeper into the second day? Could be.

I don't see any way guys like Beckham and USC's Marqise Lee make it past the late teens, with teams like Pittsburgh, Baltimore, the Jets, all considering them strongly according to multiple sources. Teams like the Panthers and Patriots have spent a lot of time on Cooks, the kind of individual off the field who teams just fall in love with and who I believe is off the board somewhere in the bottom third of the first-round. Kelvin Benjamin (Florida State) could end up a late first rounder, too, and if Seattle ended the first round by selecting Allen Robinson of Penn State, I wouldn't be surprised at all. If Robinson makes it to the second round, Houston, coached by Bill O'Brien, who coached Robinson in Happy Valley, might have to consider him as well; had O'Brien stayed at the school, I'm told, so too would have Robinson.

If the Ravens do not go receiver in the first round, South Carolina's Bruce Ellington would be someone maybe they'd have to move up to get in the second round, and on the second day of the draft there could be some jostling for Jordan Matthews of Vanderbilt, while I continue to hear that relatively unknown receivers Robert Herron (Wyoming) and Paul Richardson (Colorado) are going to end up going higher than where most would have projected them when this process began before the combine.

There will be plenty of them coming off the board and look for there to be a big run on Friday, for sure, after the top half dozen or so get selected on Thursday. And don't be surprised if they don't go in the order most would project.
    http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...f-wrs-not-huge

I guess La Canfora's article is "dumb" too.

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    I guess La Canfora's article is "dumb" too.
    yup
    but he also only gives it as a possibility. You gave us no other choices.

Blog Entries

yup
    but he also only gives it as a possibility. You gave us no other choices.
    Right. Focus on that and ignore the fact that he explicitly recites 2/3 of the players I limited this thread to as options for the Ravens at 17.

Again, if I wanted the thread to be open-ended, WHY DOES IT HAVE THE TITLE:
    Gun to your head WR scenario

The title of the thread tells you the focus of the thread:
    HINT: WR.

Why does the first post give 3 explicit names? Gee because that is where I wanted the focus of this thread to go.

If you didn't want to be limited to WR...don't participate in THIS THREAD, about WR, and more specifically about 3 PARTICULAR WRs.

I just find it hilarious how you and Brien Jackson were slamming me left and right for such a "dumb" idea, and then La Canfora comes out with an article in direct support of the hypo I proposed here. But yeah it is totally "dumb." So dumb there is an article of similar scope running on CBS.com.

Blog Entries

When you have 11 pages of people only begrudgingly choosing one of your options and begging out for help to allow us to do ANYTHING ELSE with the pick it should give you your answer. The bulk of the board finds little value in the WR position at pick #17. IT doesn't matter what Kiper says.
    Tony Pauline, whose opinion I respect much more than you on draft matters, has the following rankings:
    Lee 18
    Beckham 19
    Cooks 23

But yeah it would be totally "dumb" if one of them were available for the taking at 17. A "reach."

So just to summarize, well-respected, experienced draft pundits that actually watch tape have all 3 WRs listed in this thread spanning from 12-23 in rankings, the NFL's top insider La Canfora explicitly mentions the Ravens taking one of them if they are still around at 17, and yet this thread and scenario are apparently "dumb."

Blog Entries

If the Ravens take Beckham at #17 I'm very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    If the Ravens take Beckham at #17 I'm very happy.
    I know the OP doesn't want us to discuss this in HIS thread, but you would prefer him to this entire list of players?

Lewan, Martin, Kuandijo
    Pryor, HAHA
    Gilbert, Dennard
    Nix, Tuitt, Barr
    Ebron
    or a trade back?

I think it's pretty obvious that Robinson, Matthews, Watkins, Evans, Mack and Clowney will be long gone.

Blog Entries

I know the OP doesn't want us to discuss this in HIS thread, but you would prefer him to this entire list of players?

Lewan, Martin, Kuandijo
    Pryor, HAHA
    Gilbert, Dennard
    Nix, Tuitt, Barr
    Ebron
    or a trade back?

I think it's pretty obvious that Robinson, Matthews, Watkins, Evans, Mack and Clowney will be long gone.
    The only two out of that bunch that I'd be 100% in favor of over Beckham or a WR is Anthony Barr or Taylor Lewan. However, I'm not sure they'd go for Barr right away. Maybe they would because they rotate pass rushers so frequently and both Suggs and Doom really tapered off last season?

I like Beckham as a prospect. I think he'd be a good fit in Baltimore.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    The only two out of that bunch that I'd be 100% in favor of over Beckham or a WR is Anthony Barr or Taylor Lewan. However, I'm not sure they'd go for Barr right away. Maybe they would because they rotate pass rushers so frequently and both Suggs and Doom really tapered off last season?

I like Beckham as a prospect. I think he'd be a good fit in Baltimore.
    And see here we differ.
    I like Beckham as well, but find his value FOR THE RAVENS to be lower then almost that entire list. Kuandijo and Tuitt would likely be further reaches from a value perspective at this point, though certainly fill MUCH BIGGER needs.
    And I'm not "in the know" enough to know how much of Kuandijo's descent down draft boards this draft season has been smoke screen or not. It has lately seemed that way to me. Prior to the combine, I was ALL ABOUT him at 17, so by draft day, I could be there again. IMO, Tuitt CERTAINLY is a bigger reach, but he is basically the only 5 technique in the draft that I like at all. His 2012 season would make 17 a good value, but 2013 not so much, much like Kuandijo. Young athletic LT's with sky-high potential have very high values however.

Blog Entries

Lewan, Martin, Kuandijo
    Pryor, HAHA
    Gilbert, Dennard
    Nix, Tuitt, Barr
    Ebron
    or a trade back?

My list would be:

Gilbert
    Lewan
    Beckham
    Dennard
    Martin
    Barr
    Nix
    Tuitt
    Pryor
    Ebron
    Haha

Cyrus I wouldn't even look at before round 3

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    My list would be:

Gilbert
    Lewan
    Beckham
    Dennard
    Martin
    Barr
    Nix
    Tuitt
    Pryor
    Ebron
    Haha

Cyrus I wouldn't even look at before round 3
    Wow... VERY high opinion of Beckham.
    I don't separate him from the rest like that, but He is my favorite second -tier wideout. IT seems, that you have a bigger gap between him and whomever your 4th wr is then Evans and him, would I be correct in suggesting that? IF that was indeed how the ravens felt, then I could understand.

CK is a weird scenario as I've noted. He's a situation that is hard for the lay-fan to understand. It REALLY, REALLY depends what is going on with his knees, and we simply aren't going to understand that prior to the draft.
    I understand why you say that, but it appears that the mock-draft pundits have recently been backpedaling FAST on his decline.

You also appear QUITE anti-bama. Which I again understand but don't happen to agree with.