Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 40
  1. #1

    About Drafting a Rookie Corner



    So it's been talked about that the Ravens drafting a replacement for Corey Graham, and while I'm not here to say that they shouldn't I don't believe that the Ravens will take a corner at Day One (personally I don't believe they need to take one at all), but I do have questions about a rookie corner.

    1. What's the difference between Jackson, Brown, and a rookie?
    They all lack experience, and veteran QBs (who the Ravens will face multiple times this season) will know that and exploit the matchup. So what makes a rookie, who will inevitably have less experience better than them?

    2. Are they capable of getting the starting job?
    Harbs doesn't hand rookies the job regardless of pedigree. Flacco was originally planned to be redshirting 2008, Elam wasn't planned to start as soon as he did, and I could go on about this, but the main point is that a rookie CB would have to beat out Jackson and Brown, both of which are motivated to take the nickel role, Brown even more so now that he's entering a contract year.

    3. Can they handle the NFL even if they get the job?
    The Ravens have to face Matt Ryan, Drew Brees, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, Philip Rivers, Andy Dalton x2, and Ben Roethlisberger x2. Those QBs have between them 1 Super Bowl MVP, 4 Super Bowls, 3 Super Bowl Victories, 22 Pro Bowls, 47 Seasons, and many, many accolades and passing records. Making a rookie go up against those guys is asking for a disaster in my opinion.




  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Dimas, CA
    Posts
    7,795

    Re: About Drafting a Rookie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    So it's been talked about that the Ravens drafting a replacement for Corey Graham, and while I'm not here to say that they shouldn't I don't believe that the Ravens will take a corner at Day One (personally I don't believe they need to take one at all).
    The Ravens have a total of four corners on the roster. If they don't take one for depth in the draft, they are going to have to find one (or more) from someone's scrap heap when cuts are made - or pick up some as UDFAs after the draft. You cannot really survive in today's NFL with only four corners.




  3. #3

    Re: About Drafting a Rookie Corner

    I personally think CB could be a sneaky/surprise pick for us in the first round, particularly if Dennard from Michigan State slips.




  4. #4

    Re: About Drafting a Rookie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    The Ravens have a total of four corners on the roster. If they don't take one for depth in the draft, they are going to have to find one (or more) from someone's scrap heap when cuts are made - or pick up some as UDFAs after the draft. You cannot really survive in today's NFL with only four corners.
    Drafting one for depth is fine, what the main point of my thread was that the Ravens shouldn't take a corner and start him from Day One, which is also why I don't believe they should take one in Day One.




  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Dimas, CA
    Posts
    7,795

    Re: About Drafting a Rookie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    Drafting one for depth is fine, what the main point of my thread was that the Ravens shouldn't take a corner and start him from Day One, which is also why I don't believe they should take one in Day One.
    Right, but I was responding to the part of your post in which you said "personally I don't believe they need to take one at all". They definitely need to increase their stable of CBs. I also don't think that it is a given that rookies don't play for Harbaugh. A drafted CB might not lock down the #1 or #2 spot, but a high round pick is going to be expected to contribute significantly. And if the Ravens think that BPA is a CB, then I'm okay with it.




  6. #6

    Re: About Drafting a Rookie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Right, but I was responding to the part of your post in which you said "personally I don't believe they need to take one at all". They definitely need to increase their stable of CBs. I also don't think that it is a given that rookies don't play for Harbaugh. A drafted CB might not lock down the #1 or #2 spot, but a high round pick is going to be expected to contribute significantly. And if the Ravens think that BPA is a CB, then I'm okay with it.
    It's not a given that Harbs doesn't play rookies, however it is a given that rookies have to win the job. Whether it's Gilbert, Dennard, or a UDFA they'd still have to beat out Brown and Jackson.




  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Dimas, CA
    Posts
    7,795

    Re: About Drafting a Rookie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    It's not a given that Harbs doesn't play rookies, however it is a given that rookies have to win the job. Whether it's Gilbert, Dennard, or a UDFA they'd still have to beat out Brown and Jackson.
    If it's Gilbert, Dennard or even Fuller or Varrett that might be a real possibility. Brown doesn't thrill me and Jackson (although I like him a lot) doesn't have a whole lot of experience, etiher. I think there are a good handful of corners in the draft who can beat those guys out.




  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    13,453
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: About Drafting a Rookie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    It's not a given that Harbs doesn't play rookies, however it is a given that rookies have to win the job. Whether it's Gilbert, Dennard, or a UDFA they'd still have to beat out Brown and Jackson.
    Elam started last year as a rookie and cost us at least one game, maybe 2 and we just missed the POs. That's what happens when you start rookies. Old School coaches would never start rooks because of rookie mistakes. George Allen went to the SB trading his top picks for veteran players saying the future is now.




  9. #9

    Re: About Drafting a Rookie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    If it's Gilbert, Dennard or even Fuller or Varrett that might be a real possibility. Brown doesn't thrill me and Jackson (although I like him a lot) doesn't have a whole lot of experience, etiher. I think there are a good handful of corners in the draft who can beat those guys out.
    Which brings up more questions. Is the rookie really earning the job if the competition can be beat out by many rookies and the glaring one can he handle going up against Matt Ryan, Drew Brees, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, Philip Rivers, Andy Dalton x2, and Ben Roethlisberger x2. Those guys are established franchise QBs and have quite the pedigree between them.




  10. #10

    Re: About Drafting a Rookie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Elam started last year as a rookie and cost us at least one game, maybe 2 and we just missed the POs. That's what happens when you start rookies. Old School coaches would never start rooks because of rookie mistakes. George Allen went to the SB trading his top picks for veteran players saying the future is now.
    I don't think that what stood between the Ravens and the playoffs was Matt Elam. If you recall Elam was a special-teamer on Day One and it was Michael Huff's godawful safety play that forced the Ravens to play Elam. And besides it's not like Elam made the O-Line garbage, Jacoby miss five games, Dickson acquire a case of stone hands, or cause Rice and Pierce to have a down year. And I can definitely say that in the salary-cap era you cannot go and wins Super Bowls, and as for George Allen and his Over The Hill Gang they lost that Super Bowl, went one-and-done in '73,'74,and'76, missed the playoffs in '75 and '77, was canned after the 1977 season, and they didn't go to the playoffs until 1982.




  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    606

    Cool Re: About Drafting a Rookie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Elam started last year as a rookie and cost us at least one game, maybe 2 and we just missed the POs. That's what happens when you start rookies. Old School coaches would never start rooks because of rookie mistakes. George Allen went to the SB trading his top picks for veteran players saying the future is now.
    George Allen!!!

    That was only between 40 to 50 years ago. I think things have changed a little bit since then regarding rookies!

    I seem to remember John H having to start a rookie about 6 years ago because he had no choice. His name was Flacco and we just missed making it to the Superbowl that year.

    And for all of Mr. Vanilla Ice Cream Allen's efforts in trading for veterans, he made it to the SB a grand total of once and lost!

    Nuff said!




  12. #12

    Re: About Drafting a Rookie Corner

    Quote Originally Posted by PalladinInNC View Post
    George Allen!!!

    That was only between 40 to 50 years ago. I think things have changed a little bit since then regarding rookies!

    I seem to remember John H having to start a rookie about 6 years ago because he had no choice. His name was Flacco and we just missed making it to the Superbowl that year.

    And for all of Mr. Vanilla Ice Cream Allen's efforts in trading for veterans, he made it to the SB a grand total of once and lost!

    Nuff said!
    Exactly, Super Bowl winning teams are built through the draft, Free Agency is just the icing on the cake, The Draft is the eggs, flour, and milk. And ideally the players that you sign to the big, long-term deals are the ones you've drafted. The Peyton Mannings and Drew Breeses of Free Agency are very rare and you even they won't fix everything, as Peyton's Super Bowl disaster can attend to. Besides it's generally a bad idea to follow the Redskins' model of business look where it got them. Can we please get back to talking rookie corners now?




  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Blvd of Broken Dreams
    Posts
    2,228

    Re: About Drafting a Rookie Corner

    Asa Jackson has not proven he can play in the NFL. C Brown has proven that he is not especially good. I'd like to see us draft a CB no later than 3rd or 4th round. We need depth and we need to develop someone to step in for Webb when he goes down again and to step in (heaven forbid) if we lose Jimmy Smith to injury or FA.
    Last edited by houstonravensfan; 04-19-2014 at 03:31 PM.




  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Middle River
    Posts
    4,022
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: About Drafting a Rookie Corner

    In 18 drafts we have drafted a DB (CB/FS/SS) in the first round 5 times
    SS Matt Elam, CB Jimmy Smith, FS (Actually SS) Ed Reed, CB CMac, CB Starks (boy that is going back to '98 and '99)

    in the 2nd round

    2001 Gary Baxter
    1998 DeRon Jenkins
    1997 Kim Herring

    I don't think at 17 we can get anyone who can start and strike fear. I think they will need a strong pass rush to help them at least as a rookie.

    However, gonna make it interesting to watch the draft unfold to us at 17. ELam and Jimmy are it for over a decade in the 1st and 2nd rounds
    (Course FO has supplemented with Samari, Fabian, Foxy, Cary Williams......)
    To understand paranoid people better, follow them around.




  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,717
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: About Drafting a Rookie Corner

    Dittoing other guys, there's 3 possibly 4 corners in this draft that could beat out Brown and Jackson. And honestly if one of those guys is there at 17 we SHoULD take them. For the very reason of what QBs were facing this year. I'm really really nervous about Brown or Jackson being a starting corner which face it in today's NFL your 3rd corner is pretty much a starter. Personally I've been hoping well grab up a vet but the couple I actually wanted are already off the board. Currently this is our glaring need.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland