Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: What would you think about this draft? (Just for kicks on a Friday)

Where are all these 11 picks going? If this draft is as deep as they say, there will be a ton of quality, but the Ravens don't have too many glaring holes. So, not all of them are making the team. I'd rather them trade UP to get the people that will assuredly make the team and contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I'm just messing with you. It's fun to explore the options and possibilities. I just don't think it goes that way, but it would be great if it did. I definitely think that if Ozzie wants to get his targeted players, he is going to really hav to work the phones hard this year.
    Didn't we get an early 3rd and a mid-4th by trading down in 2010? I think we got like pick 42 in exchange for pick 25 and two others so the Broncos could draft Tebow. I would break out into laughter except our two picks were Kindle and Dickson. At least Pitta made up for it.

Upshaw pick was acquired by trading down from the 1st round to 2nd round (28 to 35 I believe). We got an early 4th rounder just for moving down 7 picks. Of course, that pick was Gradkowski, so I'm not beating my chest there either.

Quote Originally Posted by kronusthebonus View Post
    Where are all these 11 picks going? If this draft is as deep as they say, there will be a ton of quality, but the Ravens don't have too many glaring holes. So, not all of them are making the team. I'd rather them trade UP to get the people that will assuredly make the team and contribute.
    See the post directly above you Kronus. 3 of those 11 were used as trade up ammunition when it was all said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    So to recap

1(30)-Tuitt/DE
    2(42)-Ward/FS
    2(61)-Matthews/WR
    3(84)-Jean Baptiste/CB
    3(99)- Fleming/RT
    4(134)-Fedorowicz/TE
    4(138)-Murray/QB
    5(175)-Gaffney/RB
    That's not a bad draft actually.

Didn't we get an early 3rd and a mid-4th by trading down in 2010? I think we got like pick 42 in exchange for pick 25 and two others so the Broncos could draft Tebow. I would break out into laughter except our two picks were Kindle and Dickson. At least Pitta made up for it.

Upshaw pick was acquired by trading down from the 1st round to 2nd round (28 to 35 I believe). We got an early 4th rounder just for moving down 7 picks. Of course, that pick was Gradkowski, so I'm not beating my chest there either.
    You may be right, but it's nearly impossible to orchestrate the draft like that. There are going to be other team's trading around, other GMs making wacky picks, etc. While it's possible the Ravens trade back and gather picks and then move up again (which I think is plausible), I just don't seeing the Ravens ending up with those players. I would be really surprised if a lot of these players were available at where we think they will go.

Blog Entries

So to recap

1(30)-Tuitt/DE
    2(42)-Ward/FS
    2(61)-Matthews/WR
    3(84)-Jean Baptiste/CB
    3(99)- Fleming/RT
    4(134)-Fedorowicz/TE
    4(138)-Murray/QB
    5(175)-Gaffney/RB
    I'm not in love with it, but if you let it settle in and remove the emotion it's a pretty nice haul. I told a GA alum friend of mine today I would love to see us find a way to get Murray. Not thrilled about Tuitt but otherwise those are good value picks IMO

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    You may be right, but it's nearly impossible to orchestrate the draft like that. There are going to be other team's trading around, other GMs making wacky picks, etc. While it's possible the Ravens trade back and gather picks and then move up again (which I think is plausible), I just don't seeing the Ravens ending up with those players. I would be really surprised if a lot of these players were available at where we think they will go.
    We go through this drill every year, Alien. You're a veteran poster here...you should know that Every year, people say that certain players won't be available at certain spots only to watch said player go 15 spots lower than even where the original poster projected. The reason...because of the GMs "wacky picks". This year, I think we will see a QB rush that will push a lot of the "in the trenches" players lower than initially imagined.

Which picks would surprise you if they were available at the spots I slotted? Just curious...not arguing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I'm not in love with it, but if you let it settle in and remove the emotion it's a pretty nice haul. I told a GA alum friend of mine today I would love to see us find a way to get Murray. Not thrilled about Tuitt but otherwise those are good value picks IMO
    What concerns you about Tuitt?

Blog Entries

What concerns you about Tuitt?
    had a bit of a down year last year but I haven't done a lot of research on the guy.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

There is no sexy pick there. I think that's why. Matthews isn't a sexy player but he's effective. Same with CJF and Gaffney. Tuitt and Ward and SJB have the potential to be sexy, but with the exception of maybe Tuitt, they aren't names that jump off the paper to the average fan.

had a bit of a down year last year but I haven't done a lot of research on the guy.
    I think his "down year" would still have been an impressive year for a lot of other players. He was an outright beast in 2012, living in the backfield. If Tuitt would have been draft eligible in 2012, he would have been a top 12 pick almost certainly. He wasn't as good in 2013, but it was still a decent season, in which he finished strong. I think this is a case where the bar was so dang high that aside from a first team all-american type season, he was going to loose his shine.

We go through this drill every year, Alien. You're a veteran poster here...you should know that ..... Which picks would surprise you if they were available at the spots I slotted? Just curious...not arguing.
    I'm wrong more often than I am right with the draft, so this doesn't really mean much but . . . .

I think there could be a run on WRs and Matthews is gone by 61. That wouldn't bother me because I think there are several WRs who the Ravens could work into the rotation. I like Matthews a lot but I think a lot of teams do. It wouldn't surprise me if Jimmie Ward is long gone by 42. I'm just not sure he lasts past the 30s. Jean-Baptiste is another guy that I think GMs like a lot more than we think and will go in the 60s-70s.

Of course, if that happens there will be other solid options available at those same positions and the Ravens will be fine for the most part. If they get eveyone they want, and that matches with what the posters on this board want, that would be a perfect storm. But it's fun to speculate and dream.