Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Team Tried To Extend Haloti

http://www.profootballrumors.com/hal...ng-term-offer/

How many more years do you think Haloti has in purple & black?

Blog Entries

Re: Team Tried To Extend Haloti

Quote Originally Posted by OhThePossibilities View Post
    http://www.profootballrumors.com/hal...ng-term-offer/

How many more years do you think Haloti has in purple & black?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Not many. Hes not worth his contract and he wont restructure so after this year you can probably say goodbye

Agreed.

I think he did them a favor in a way.

Blog Entries

Only 3 things I can see here:

1. Team's offer was a lowball to him. Ngata probably wanted to make sure his 16 M from this year remained intact. So if the contract didn't meet that number, he could've turned it down so as to not appear to take a pay cut. Similar to Boldin last year. Aaron Wilson said numbers given by Ravens were "unrealistic"

2. He genuinely isn't interested in the Ravens and wants to switch teams. Highly unlikely.

3. He's playing out his deal and retiring, doesn't want the mess of an extension only to retire in 2 years.

I'd say the 1st is pretty likely, followed by the 3rd, then the 2nd.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Isn't this a 2 month old story? We talked about it here before free agency. It was the same time that Suggs was extended.

Yet another indicator he's hanging up the cleats after this season.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Isn't this a 2 month old story? We talked about it here before free agency. It was the same time that Suggs was extended.
    Considering the link is from today...

Blog Entries

Considering the link is from today...
    Only because Albert Breer of NFLN "reported" this today. It was reported originally by Aaron Wilson weeks ago.

I suppose the only new information was that the offer "was similar to Suggs' deal" (in that it gave him a final strong pay day to retire as a Raven), but Ngata still did not bite.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Only because Albert Breer of NFLN "reported" this today. It was reported originally by Aaron Wilson weeks ago.

I suppose the only new information was that the offer "was similar to Suggs' deal" (in that it gave him a final strong pay day to retire as a Raven), but Ngata still did not bite.
    Right, so there was new info. If anyone with the capabilities want to go back and merge this with an existing thread, it's fine with me. I wasn't gonna go sifting through weeks/months old posts though to find if there was a Haloti thread or not.

Blog Entries

Right, so there was new info. If anyone with the capabilities want to go back and merge this with an existing thread, it's fine with me. I wasn't gonna go sifting through weeks/months old posts though to find if there was a Haloti thread or not.
    I don't mind a new thread on it, but I think there's just nothing new to report here. Even that "new information" doesn't tell us much different than what was intimated previously.

I just wish we could hear Haloti's reasoning or some insight on why it was rejected. As I said, most likely reasons were 1) he didn't want a "pay cut" or 2) he really wants to hang it up at the end of his deal.

Even if he wanted to hang it up in the next 2-3 years, there isn't much reason not to sign an extension, since extensions usually contain upfront money. I doubt Suggs plays through his full extension either, frankly.

I think the reason he did not sign the extension offered is simply because he felt it was not high enough.

Unlike Suggs, Ngata still has two high-salary years left on his current deal, so when the speculation is the extension offer was "similar to" Suggs' extension, I am not sure what that means.

Suggs had one year left at $7.8M. Now he has 5 years left totaling $28.5M (as far as I recall). Meaning he signed a 4 year extension worth $20.7M. Obviously the guarantees, signing bonus, and amount through 3 years, etc., is relevant, but in general he added 4 years at around $5.2M per year.

Ngata has two years left at $8.5M per year. So, was the offer they gave him an additional 4 years for $20.7M, making it a new 6 year deal for $37.7M? I doubt it, though maybe. I suspect the "similar to Suggs" talk might be referring to an extension that resulted in a net deal similar to Suggs now, i.e. 5 years for $28.5M ($5.7M per year). If that is the case, since Ngata is owed $17M over the next two years, the extension would only be 3 years for $11.5M.

I think Ngata knows he is getting his 2014 money even without an extension (i.e. we can't afford to cut him this year). And he probably assumes any extension offer next year (or new deal with new team) has little chance of being lower than a 3 year $11.5M type deal. He may be right, depending on his 2014 season.