Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Re: Zack Martin could be this years Justin Pugh

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    I might be in the minority, but if Martin is available and with Kubiak's known abililty to develop nobodies on the o-line, could this be a situation where we trade back or would he be the pick?

I was thinking that unless it's Robinson, Matthews, or Lewan, we would go another direction at 17, but maybe I'm just not as high on Martin like others. Couldn't a Martin clone be had in the middle rounds, but the same couldn't be said of the other positions except WR?
    I don't see a "martin clone" in the draft. Could we get similar production at EITHER G or T in the 2nd/3rd round area? yes... but I don't think we get the versatility AND ability at that value point.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    I don't have Latimer rated higher than those guys you brought up. All I am saying is it appears that the organization is VERY high on Latimer, and it does not appear to be any sort of smokescreen. And I think the team couldn't care less where NFL draftcountdown has Latimer rated.
    that doesn't mean they want him in the first.
    I agree that the ravens down't care where NFLDC has him rated, but there is no way in hell they think he's a first round talent, it's that simple. He's perhaps a top 15 WR in this draft class and shouldn't even be considered until the third round at the earliest.
    The Ravens held fellow IU receiver Tandon Doss in high regard as well, and took him in the 4th. I see Latimer as perhaps a bit better prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I agree that the ravens down't care where NFLDC has him rated, but there is no way in hell they think he's a first round talent, it's that simple. He's perhaps a top 15 WR in this draft class and shouldn't even be considered until the third round at the earliest.
    The Ravens held fellow IU receiver Tandon Doss in high regard as well, and took him in the 4th. I see Latimer as perhaps a bit better prospect.
    I am in no way saying I agree with it, but both Kiper and McShay now have Latimer going in the 1st round, in the 20's. As it gets closer to the draft, draftniks always seem to get a better feel for how teams are rating players, and you start to see a big shift in their mock drafts. When you see these shifts it is usually a case of where there is smoke there's fire.

Blog Entries

I agree. To me, if they go with Lattimer it will be either with our 3rd rd compensation pick or either of our 4th rd picks, nothing higher than that. Ozzie doesn't like drafting WRs too high as it is, no way is he going to severely reach for a borderline mid rd prospect.

Plenty of pundits are starting to think Latimer could go in the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I agree. To me, if they go with Lattimer it will be either with our 3rd rd compensation pick or either of our 4th rd picks, nothing higher than that. Ozzie doesn't like drafting WRs too high as it is, no way is he going to severely reach for a borderline mid rd prospect.
    I kinda agree. I could see the Ravens taking Latimer with their natural 3rd rounder (79). Personally, I don't think he will be around at either of the 4th round compensatory picks. Yes, I did mock him as a 4th comp 3-4 weeks ago, but I do think his stock is rising because he is a fairly polished, ready-made type WR who you can plug in as a #3/#4 type guy right away. That has currency....probably not enough to drive him into the top 45 picks, but enough to keep him in the top 100.

I think the final word on Zach Martin and Taylor Lewan is this---

Lewan is a monster. He possesses Canton potential. He's a no brainer. If he is available at 17 (probably less than a 25% chance) and the Ravens don't take him, then I will lose a bit of confidence in Ozzie.

If the Ravens take Martin at 17, I don't think you'll find anyone here griping. He's a good player with a very low risk factor who is ready to start right away. He's just not sexy. He's also an okay, but not great, value at pick 17.

As Raven fans, we have a fundamental want to see a game changer at that pick and Martin is a great player to round out a roster, but not a game changer. Let's call it the "Ben Grubbs effect". Grubbs was a good, consistent, durable player at a low-visibility position. When the Ravens drafted him in 2007, there was not a lot of collective excitement about the pick because of position he played and the fact that his reputation was one of being a good NFL player, but not a superstar. Martin is a more versatile version of Grubbs, but taking him at 17 leaves you uninspired. Yet, Ben Grubbs by being extremely capable at his craft, helped to contribute to a lot of wins, and if Martin does that starting in September, we will be satisfied come September, while remaining a little less-than-wowed until then.

Lastly, we also have this fascination with trading down and getting better value from our first pick and more picks down the road. Forfeiting that trade-down thrill for a player like Martin seems unfulfilling to me. We finally have a chance to draft in the top 20 and we draft a RT? I'm not saying Martin would be a bad pick at 17, but after 6 years of drafting late in the first round, I think the tendency is to want a more excitement-inducing type player. Martin will make the Ravens better right away. He will help the Ravens win football games. You just won't hear the average fan on the streets of Catonsville saying "Damn, I can't wait to see that Zach Martin play".

I know that I have been hyping Latimer, but that's only because I keep reading how interested we are in him. I am not advocating selecting him in the first round, although it would be an out-of-the-box decision that could pan out nicely in the long run; he has great measurables and, with good coaching, could even contribute early. He would also be learning from one of the best in Steve Smith. But if we are talking o-line in the first round, which I could certainly see us going in that direction, then it's TAYLOR LEWAN for me all day, if he's there at #17. He's a monster.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post

Lewan is a monster. He possesses Canton potential. He's a no brainer. If he is available at 17 (probably less than a 25% chance) and the Ravens don't take him, then I will lose a bit of confidence in Ozzie.

If the Ravens take Martin at 17, I don't think you'll find anyone here griping. He's a good player with a very low risk factor who is ready to start right away. He's just not sexy.
    O-Linemen never are sexy. Fans want the guys who are gonna score or sack the QB. I was at the Ravens first draft party at the Sheraton downtown and the crowd booed when JO was taken. ILMAO cause I knew he was taking JO who made the HOF.

They wanted Lawrence Phillips the RB who ended up in jail. Even Art wanted him but let Ozzie make the final decision.

That's just the way it is with the fans. Games are won the in the threnches and the Baltimore Ravens and Baltimore Colts won SBs with great o-lines. Ravens will win another one with Zack on this line.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-19-2014 at 02:37 PM.

Everyone should do exactly what they want to do on a saturday night and watch some ZM film.

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/zack-martin

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post

If the Ravens take Martin at 17, I don't think you'll find anyone here griping. He's a good player with a very low risk factor who is ready to start right away. He's just not sexy. He's also an okay, but not great, value at pick 17.

As Raven fans, we have a fundamental want to see a game changer at that pick and Martin is a great player to round out a roster, but not a game changer. Let's call it the "Ben Grubbs effect". Grubbs was a good, consistent, durable player at a low-visibility position. When the Ravens drafted him in 2007, there was not a lot of collective excitement about the pick because of position he played and the fact that his reputation was one of being a good NFL player, but not a superstar. Martin is a more versatile version of Grubbs, but taking him at 17 leaves you uninspired. Yet, Ben Grubbs by being extremely capable at his craft, helped to contribute to a lot of wins, and if Martin does that starting in September, we will be satisfied come September, while remaining a little less-than-wowed until then.

Lastly, we also have this fascination with trading down and getting better value from our first pick and more picks down the road. Forfeiting that trade-down thrill for a player like Martin seems unfulfilling to me. We finally have a chance to draft in the top 20 and we draft a RT? I'm not saying Martin would be a bad pick at 17, but after 6 years of drafting late in the first round, I think the tendency is to want a more excitement-inducing type player. Martin will make the Ravens better right away. He will help the Ravens win football games. You just won't hear the average fan on the streets of Catonsville saying "Damn, I can't wait to see that Zach Martin play".
    I think that is exactly my problem, it feels like a Ben Grubbs pick, which is very non sexy. I would just rather this pick happen in the 20's than at 17 if its Martin.

Blog Entries

Speaking of Pugh and un-sexy players, be forewarned that Zack Martin might not even make it to us. NY who took PUgh still needs line help. There's a big thread on it on the Big Blue Board.

They'll take the Michigan guy if he drops to them and Martin if he doesn't.

I just saw a mock that has us taking Pryor. That has been mentioned here but that is with Zack Martin going @ 19. I don't believe that. No way Oz does that.

A horrible thought, same mock has Evans going to Piss. That would be a nightmare for years to come.