Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Zack Martin could be this years Justin Pugh

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I think Mosley is a good player.

I'm not sure he is the 17th overall pick "Good Player" though.
    Especially not for the Ravens, IMO. I just don't see him being the pick at all....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I think Mosley is a good player.

I'm not sure he is the 17th overall pick "Good Player" though.
    I agree but I've seen him mocked higher than that in more than one version... highly doubt the Ravens would pick him at 17 though. You need to hit a home run there

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    You know I love your commentary sir, but you are a bit off base here. The Ravens have no real ammo to pull of the maneuver you proposed.

The Ravens only have 4 natural picks in this draft (their 1st/2nd/3rd/6th). Keep in mind that their other four picks (3/4/4/5) are supplemental and cannot be traded. If they want to move up in the 1st round to grab Lewan, they are going to have to part with that 3rd rounder to do so. I love Lewan so much that I wouldn't care, particularly since they do have a Supplemental 3rd rounder, but I think it's far likelier that the Ravens trade down than trade up.

The prospect of trading up in the 2nd round is highly unlikely. The only scenario that I can see where the Ravens trade up in the 2nd round is one where they traded down in Round one and acquired more picks.

Let's say it's pick 39 and the Ravens have a player on their board who they are drooling over (Jimmy Ward or Stephon Tuitt as an example). In order to get that player, they would have to trade their 3rd round pick in order to move up. I just don't see that happening because a) Ozzie rarely drools over a player, particularly one in the 2nd round...and b) the player would have to be so talented that their upside exceeded the potential upside of the players you would at picks 48 and 79. In this draft, I don't think that makes sense. Pick 79 is likely going to be a much better player than in virtually any draft before.

For that reason, I don't think you will see too many GMs trading picks in this draft for picks in next year's draft, so the idea of Ozzie moving up in the 2nd for this years 6th round pick and next years 4th round pick is unlikely as well.

Personally, I would hate the thought of trading up in the 2nd round at the expense of forfeiting our 3rd round pick, and logically a 6th round pick isn't going to have any 2nd round trade up value.
    Ozzie traded up last year to get Brown in the 2d round fearing that
    Houston or Dallas would grab them and he traded all way up from the bottom. He has shorter distance to travel this year. He also traded up before that to get Pierce in his draft.

He has those comp picks. Of course he can only trade regular picks but will still have the comp picks left over.

He has the ammo if he wants Ward and he's drafting higher at 17 than last year at #32 where he got Elam and Brown.

Just saying but thanks for liking. The real guys that know football on here know what I'm saying.

Oh, and for the guy who said Zack is a project - bull shit.

You must have missed Hortiz remarks. He can play RT and if he's drafted he starts. He's more polished than Pugh and Wagner whom
    we have penciled in now at RT. He can also play OG and Center as
    Hortiz said.

He's ready now and one of the best blockers in the draft for techniques.
    He'd be a top 10 pick if he were 2" taller. The only thing he needs to improve on is his foot speed.

I bet Ozzie ranks him higher than the MIchigan guy.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-18-2014 at 12:37 PM.

4. Re: Zack Martin could be this years Justin Pugh

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    3 out of the 5 have us taking Lewan. I like him over Martin because I think he will be a first year starter at RT. Martin, on the other hand, is more of a project. IMO

It's also possible that Dix will still be there at 17, and I'm not sure whether Oz will let him slip by. It depends on how highly they regard Wagner as a starting RT this year. Of course Oz being the master he is, could land both Dix and Lewan with a trade if either are still there later in the 1st round.
    Realize its you opinion but how is Martin a project? Just no following that one bud

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    I bet Ozzie ranks him higher than the MIchigan guy.
    No Chance.
    Lewan is just as ready to play, if not more so, is MUCH more athletic and MUCH larger.
    He's a whole separate class of prospect/

Quote Originally Posted by @SumthingObvious View Post
    Realize its you opinion but how is Martin a project? Just no following that one bud
    I would be happy with either Martin or Lewan. I just think that Lewan has way more upside for the RT position. It is also possible that he could fill in for Monroe at LT, whereas I don't think Martin could. Most scouts are questioning Martin's size for either tackle position, and think he would be a better fit at G.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

7. Re: Zack Martin could be this years Justin Pugh

I would be happy with either Martin or Lewan. I just think that Lewan has way more upside for the RT position. It is also possible that he could fill in for Monroe at LT, whereas I don't think Martin could. Most scouts are questioning Martin's size for either tackle position, and think he would be a better fit at G.
    Think Martin compares similarly to Yanda's size and Yanda I believe did a respectable job at RT. I too prefer Lewan over Martin...Just don't believe he gets out of the Top 12.

Blog Entries

I agree.

Martin may be the most pro-ready lineman in this draft.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Think Martin compares similarly to Yanda's size and Yanda I believe did a respectable job at RT. I too prefer Lewan over Martin...Just don't believe he gets out of the Top 12.
    Yanda was very good at RT in 2010, a lot better than folk give him credit for.

Besides, they are different type of players. Martin is a much better prospect than what Yanda was coming out of Iowa. It just happens that Yanda developed into an all pro guard. Yanda is a nasty road grader, but didn't have the feet and skill set in pass pro that Martin has. Martin is as refined in pass pro to anyone in this class and could be a LT in this league. He is 6'4, sure it isn't ideal size for a LT, but you know who else is 6'4 and happens to be an all pro LT? Duane Brown, and we all know who developed that guy.

10. Re: Zack Martin could be this years Justin Pugh

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post

Besides, they are different type of players. Martin is a much better prospect than what Yanda was coming out of Iowa. It just happens that Yanda developed into an all pro guard. Yanda is a nasty road grader, but didn't have the feet and skill set in pass pro that Martin has. Martin is as refined in pass pro to anyone in this class and could be a LT in this league. He is 6'4, sure it isn't ideal size for a LT, but you know who else is 6'4 and happens to be an all pro LT? Duane Brown, and we all know who developed that guy.
    :word

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post

There is no doubt that Martin can play RT, but IMO Lewan will make a faster transition to the NFL game as far as either tackle position goes. A lot of mocks have Martin being drafted as a G because of his size and foot speed. Would love to have both of these guys I just think Lewan has more upside for the tackle position.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Would love to have both of these guys I just think Lewan has more upside for the tackle position.
    I don't honestly think it's close on this part here.

I'd certainly trade up to around 12 if Lewan is there. Dude can be an all-pro RT as a rookie, IMO, and has all -pro LT potential.

IMO, Guard is where Martin would have All -Pro potential, but IMO, in no way should he be worse at either tackle spot then Oher. Likely better at either as a rook.