Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Zack Martin could be this years Justin Pugh

First of all, let me say that Taylor Lewan is the guy I really want at 17. I like his size, freakish athletic ability, and nasty style to his game. It is unlikely that he drops however, so Zack Martin is the guy I hope we take if we address the oline before safety.

Many people think Martin is better suited to kick inside because of his size, and think he lacks ideal size to play tackle in the NFL. That may be true to some extent. I think he'd be a very good guard, but I also think he can be a very good tackle, especially playing for Kubiak.

Last year a very similar prospect in Justin Pugh had the same said about him, even though he was solid as you could get at LT. He went 19th overall to the Giants, and started at RT for them. He had a rough start to the season, but got better and better down the stretch... Here is a decent in depth film study article on him.... http://www.giants.com/team/roster/Ju...e-8e95767a651e

I actually think Zack Martin is a better prospect than Pugh was. Martin blocks just as well as Jake Matthews does. Consistent execution, and never goes off balance. If Martin was 2 inches taller or more, I seriously think he'd be a top 5 pick.

Basically if Martin is there at 17, while guys like Taylor Lewan or Mike Evans are gone, we should just draft Martin and start him at RT. Martin would solidify this line, and all we have left to worry about is getting a FS and a 3rd CB. I like Wagner, don't get me wrong, but maybe he's not quite ready to be an effective starter quite yet.

Re: Zack Martin could be this years Justin Pugh

I am with you on Lewan. As for Martin, If Lewan isn't available at #17, I would rather trade down into the 20s and select Joel Bitonio out of Nevada. He's getting a ton of love right now, and could be a day one starter for us at either guard or tackle.

Blog Entries

I've been saying that Martin is the safe pick all along and Ravens will draft him if he is there simply because he'd be the BAA at a position of need and he probably will be unless Giants take him too and put him at OG. There's a lot of sentiment for him on their big Blue board. Ravens can trade up for Jimmy Ward in the 2d round with all the ammo they have. That would be a great draft alone.

Giants fans were upset with Pugh on draft day and Reese had to defend and justify himself. In fact, some of us were worried that Ozzie might draft him.

His problem was that he was so tall the rushers were able to dip under and by him using better techniques. They did the same thing to the massive KO. A rookie did that to him in the pre-season last summer and just tossed him aside. It might have been when he was injured.

I posted Hortiz remarks on the draft thread about Martin and he said while some think he's a OG, he can play RT and the film I saw of him showed he did a great job. As posted several times he gives the Ravens the most physical line since JO, Mulitalo and Zues with Monroe, KO,
    Zuttah, Yanda and Martin.

I wouldn't worry about him at RT.

You can still catch Hortiz remarks on www.baltimoreravens.com.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-18-2014 at 07:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Ravens can trade up for Jimmy Ward in the 2d round with all the ammo they have.
    You know I love your commentary sir, but you are a bit off base here. The Ravens have no real ammo to pull of the maneuver you proposed.

The Ravens only have 4 natural picks in this draft (their 1st/2nd/3rd/6th). Keep in mind that their other four picks (3/4/4/5) are supplemental and cannot be traded. If they want to move up in the 1st round to grab Lewan, they are going to have to part with that 3rd rounder to do so. I love Lewan so much that I wouldn't care, particularly since they do have a Supplemental 3rd rounder, but I think it's far likelier that the Ravens trade down than trade up.

The prospect of trading up in the 2nd round is highly unlikely. The only scenario that I can see where the Ravens trade up in the 2nd round is one where they traded down in Round one and acquired more picks.

Let's say it's pick 39 and the Ravens have a player on their board who they are drooling over (Jimmy Ward or Stephon Tuitt as an example). In order to get that player, they would have to trade their 3rd round pick in order to move up. I just don't see that happening because a) Ozzie rarely drools over a player, particularly one in the 2nd round...and b) the player would have to be so talented that their upside exceeded the potential upside of the players you would at picks 48 and 79. In this draft, I don't think that makes sense. Pick 79 is likely going to be a much better player than in virtually any draft before.

For that reason, I don't think you will see too many GMs trading picks in this draft for picks in next year's draft, so the idea of Ozzie moving up in the 2nd for this years 6th round pick and next years 4th round pick is unlikely as well.

Personally, I would hate the thought of trading up in the 2nd round at the expense of forfeiting our 3rd round pick, and logically a 6th round pick isn't going to have any 2nd round trade up value.

Blog Entries

The other thing is that the 3 positions that keep getting thrown around as being the deepest in this draft are WR, DB, and OT. So they could have their eyes on prospect(s) in later rounds

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

6. Re: Zack Martin could be this years Justin Pugh

I think the Ravens will pick one of the following players. Ha-Ha Clinton Dix, Taylor Lewan, Zach Martin, CJ Mosley, or one of the top 2 CB (Gilbert or Dernard) if they were to drop and they are their highest rated player. I would love any of these players in purple and black. I wouldn't put it past Ozzie to draft Mosley if Dix and Lewan are off the board at 17. Daryl Smith and Arthur Brown are similar players in that they are very good against the pass. Ravens don't seem to have a run stopper at LB. Mosley could be that guy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    You know I love your commentary sir, but you are a bit off base here. The Ravens have no real ammo to pull of the maneuver you proposed.

The Ravens only have 4 natural picks in this draft (their 1st/2nd/3rd/6th). Keep in mind that their other four picks (3/4/4/5) are supplemental and cannot be traded. If they want to move up in the 1st round to grab Lewan, they are going to have to part with that 3rd rounder to do so. I love Lewan so much that I wouldn't care, particularly since they do have a Supplemental 3rd rounder, but I think it's far likelier that the Ravens trade down than trade up.

The prospect of trading up in the 2nd round is highly unlikely. The only scenario that I can see where the Ravens trade up in the 2nd round is one where they traded down in Round one and acquired more picks.

Let's say it's pick 39 and the Ravens have a player on their board who they are drooling over (Jimmy Ward or Stephon Tuitt as an example). In order to get that player, they would have to trade their 3rd round pick in order to move up. I just don't see that happening because a) Ozzie rarely drools over a player, particularly one in the 2nd round...and b) the player would have to be so talented that their upside exceeded the potential upside of the players you would at picks 48 and 79. In this draft, I don't think that makes sense. Pick 79 is likely going to be a much better player than in virtually any draft before.

For that reason, I don't think you will see too many GMs trading picks in this draft for picks in next year's draft, so the idea of Ozzie moving up in the 2nd for this years 6th round pick and next years 4th round pick is unlikely as well.

Personally, I would hate the thought of trading up in the 2nd round at the expense of forfeiting our 3rd round pick, and logically a 6th round pick isn't going to have any 2nd round trade up value.
    Ozzie traded up last year to get Brown in the 2d round fearing that
    Houston or Dallas would grab them and he traded all way up from the bottom. He has shorter distance to travel this year. He also traded up before that to get Pierce in his draft.

He has those comp picks. Of course he can only trade regular picks but will still have the comp picks left over.

He has the ammo if he wants Ward and he's drafting higher at 17 than last year at #32 where he got Elam and Brown.

Just saying but thanks for liking. The real guys that know football on here know what I'm saying.

Oh, and for the guy who said Zack is a project - bull shit.

You must have missed Hortiz remarks. He can play RT and if he's drafted he starts. He's more polished than Pugh and Wagner whom
    we have penciled in now at RT. He can also play OG and Center as
    Hortiz said.

He's ready now and one of the best blockers in the draft for techniques.
    He'd be a top 10 pick if he were 2" taller. The only thing he needs to improve on is his foot speed.

I bet Ozzie ranks him higher than the MIchigan guy.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-18-2014 at 12:37 PM.

I bet Ozzie ranks him higher than the MIchigan guy.
    No Chance.
    Lewan is just as ready to play, if not more so, is MUCH more athletic and MUCH larger.
    He's a whole separate class of prospect/

He has those comp picks. Of course he can only trade regular picks but will still have the comp picks left over.

He has the ammo if he wants Ward and he's drafting higher at 17 than last year at #32 where he got Elam and Brown.

Just saying but thanks for liking. The real guys that know football on here know what I'm saying.
    Definitely don't agree with you. You aren't comparing apples to apples. Last year, we had 4th and 5th rounders that were tradable.

Last year we did indeed trade up in the 2nd round in order to get Arthur Brown. In order to move up from 62 to 56, we had to give up a 5th and 6th rounder for just six spots. We wanted Brown badly and had an excess of late-round picks, so it made sense.

This year, we only have two tradable picks after round two (3rd and 6th rounder). It's going to cost more to move up from pick 48 than pick 62. So the only way we are going to be able to move up from 48 to draft anyone in the early 2nd round (like Ward) is to give up our 3rd round pick (#79). I just don't see Ozzie doing that. In this draft, pick 79 is still going to be a darn good player who might be capable of being a day-one starter.

Blog Entries

I was really down on Pugh last year and saw that comparison made to Zack martin. That said, Pugh did turn into a pretty good player by the end, and I think Martin is a smart pick. He's the guy I'd say is most likely at 17.

Need wise, I'm just not crazy about either of the first round Safeties, and I don't think Jimmie Ward at 17 makes sense (Trading down to mid-to-late 20s, that's a different story). Certainly could go CB, which is not being talked about much right now. At WR, with Evans and Watkins gone, only guy I'm comfortable at 17th with Beckham Jr.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Here are those remarks from the ravens site. Hortiz is spot on.

Zack Martin, Notre Dame
    Senior; 6-foot-4, 308 pounds
    “You could certainly say that he could be a guard. He worked there some at the Senior Bowl. But he can also certainly play tackle. He spent four years there, and he’s as durable as can be. He never missed a start at Notre Dame. He anchored down the left side there going against some pretty good pass rushers all across the country. He’s tough, he’s smart he’s competitive. He may not fit the ideal tackle mold in that he’s not 6-foot-7, 320 pounds. But when you watch him, he’s such an efficient player that you can’t say he can’t do it. He certainly has the ability to play tackle, but he also has the swing potential to play guard. Some people may even say that he could be a center.”
    - Versatile player who could play multiple spots on the line
    - Slightly undersized at tackle, but was a productive left tackle for four years in college

Blog Entries

Martin took snaps at center during the senior bowl as well. They put him through the ringer to see if he could handle multiple positions.

I think Martin - purely from a technical stance - is probably the best lineman in this draft class. If he was 6'6" and had 34" arms, he'd be the #1 lineman off the board and probably a top-5 pick.

I agree that he could be this year's Justin Pugh, but I think he is a much more refined product than Pugh was coming out of Syracuse.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.