Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Blog Entries

Re: Ravens, Pats and Jets are Interested in Michael Sam

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I just wouldn't worry about any sort of media issues if we did draft him. This team has handled much bigger things between Ray, Jamal and now Ray Rice. With all that being said, I don't think the kid can play on defense at an NFL level. That to me is the only thing that matters.
    :word

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    If you advocate not taking Sam because you project his sexual orientation will cause a media reaction for a few days in the first training camp and possibly again several years down the line when the player is either cut or leaves via free agency then that's the very definition of bigotry, in this case homophobia.

To avoid talking about the football abilities of Michael Sam other than saying a generic throwaway phrase like "he doesn't fit our scheme", and instead focus on the perceived "media storm" as a reason to not draft him is bigotry. You are singling him out just like teams used to single out and avoid black players because of the "media storm".

Fortunately Ozzie and Harbs don't appear to be homophobes so they can evaluate Sam on his football merits alone. As that link I posted above notes, Sam has some strengths and weaknesses and it will take a couple of years for him to develop, which is basically the same as any third day draft pick ever. The question for Ozzie: is he more likely to realize his upside within 2-3 years than those other depth DE/OLB's on the roster. Is he more likely to develop than Simon or Hamilton or McClellan.

Saying that Sam does not fit this team scheme-wise is nonsense. Once we get to round 5 of the draft every player is a project who can be molded into most any scheme down the line IF they develop. But that's a big IF as most late round draft picks never develop.

Sam is your basic generic tweener DE/OLB at this point with one really really good rush move and otherwise is not ready to start or play meaningful minutes on defense. Again, the same will be said for any player drafter from round 5 on this year-except most don't have that one killer move. In the article I cite above, Stephen White thinks his main issue is functional strength and further states that in a couple of years of focused work he can solve that problem and that if he does address that weakness his considerable strengths will shine and he could be a good 5+ year player in the league. Which with any late round draft pick all you can hope for realistically.

Of course Simon or Hamilton or McClellan or at least the first two might have a bigger upside in the eyes of the team, I dunno. They aren't saying directly though having the team linked to Sam makes one wonder that the team is no longer high on Hamilton or Simon. (It doesn't seem like the team thinks McClellan is starter material.) Maybe none of these players, including Sam, develop. But at this point any late round pick the Ravens use is a project and that's how Sam ought to be evaluated.
    1) The media issues would be the same types of media issues that Manti T'eo had to deal with. If you don't think there wasn't a barrage of non-football related questions directed at other players in the Chargers locker room and T'eo himself, you're mistaken. The problem has nothing to do with Michael Sam's sexual preference or even his ability (or lack thereof) on the football field. The problem solely lies in that the media will make it not about Ravens football every chance they can. The media will make it about Michael Sam being gay in an NFL locker room, how other guys feel about showering with an openly gay man, and so on. The odds that the media simply asks about practice, how Sam is doing on the field, and how his coaches/teammates think he can help the team win will be few and far between. It is an unfortunate thing, but the media doesn't give a shit about the team dynamic and whether or not someone is a good player. They care about headlines and an openly gay rookie football players is a pretty big headline.

2) You're full of it if you think Sam fits this defense right now. Scouts and professionals have all said they're not sure where he fits because he isn't that good of a player. I think this is the most important thing to take away about Michael Sam. He was a 1-trick pony in college and benefited from playing across from Kony Ealy, a legitimate 1st round pass rusher.

3) The Ravens were checking out LT prospects as well, does that mean they're considering moving on from Eugene Monroe? The Ravens do their due diligence when it comes to the draft. If Sam were to go undrafted (totally feasible) then he may be someone the team has an interest in.
    Last edited by wickedsolo; 04-21-2014 at 10:59 AM.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    This. I don't want him because he's not a quick twitch, explosive athlete. I could care less whom he chooses to sleep with. It's a shame that we live in a society where people are looking for an excuse to be offended.
    :word

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I just wouldn't worry about any sort of media issues if we did draft him. This team has handled much bigger things between Ray, Jamal and now Ray Rice. With all that being said, I don't think the kid can play on defense at an NFL level. That to me is the only thing that matters.
    It's the distraction vs. ability level that gets me. If I thought he could help the team, then I'd be on board. Like you said though, I don't think he can play in the NFL. Lack of talent PLUS media coverage isn't a good combination.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

I'm probably the most liberal poster on this board these days. I mean, my day job is the social media strategist for a feminist non-profit, I'm openly bisexual, and I'm working on Heather Mizeur's campaign. It's hard to get further left without running into communism. I also spent the vast majority of my highschool and college life in locker rooms, either as a player or a coach.

I'm fine with the Ravens drafting Michael Sam, and here's why it has nothing to do with my politics.

1. First and above all, I trust Ozzie's ability to judge football talent better than any of your's or mine. If Oz thinks this guy will help our team and is worth a Xth round draft pick, I'll defer to his judgement until I see proof that he's wrong.

2. John Harbaugh is, to my eyes, one of the best NFL coaches at managing a locker room. He can handle internal tension, he can manage having players with intensely opposing view points working together as he demonstrated in how totally the Ayanbadejo vs Birk controversy was snuffed out before it could ignite. If he says Sam being in our locker room won't be a problem, I'll believe him.

3. I have experience with the media, both traditional and internet based. I don't foresee the same unstoppable media hurricane that many of you do. I do foresee some buzz on draft day (but a drop in the bucket that is the wall to wall draft coverage that already occurs.) I also expect to have some crowded press conferences when we sign him, and at the start and completion of training camp. I don't foresee much of that penetrating deeply into our locker room.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    I'm probably the most liberal poster on this board these days. I mean, my day job is the social media strategist for a feminist non-profit, I'm openly bisexual, and I'm working on Heather Mizeur's campaign. It's hard to get further left without running into communism. I also spent the vast majority of my highschool and college life in locker rooms, either as a player or a coach.

I'm fine with the Ravens drafting Michael Sam, and here's why it has nothing to do with my politics.

1. First and above all, I trust Ozzie's ability to judge football talent better than any of your's or mine. If Oz thinks this guy will help our team and is worth a Xth round draft pick, I'll defer to his judgement until I see proof that he's wrong.

2. John Harbaugh is, to my eyes, one of the best NFL coaches at managing a locker room. He can handle internal tension, he can manage having players with intensely opposing view points working together as he demonstrated in how totally the Ayanbadejo vs Birk controversy was snuffed out before it could ignite. If he says Sam being in our locker room won't be a problem, I'll believe him.

3. I have experience with the media, both traditional and internet based. I don't foresee the same unstoppable media hurricane that many of you do. I do foresee some buzz on draft day (but a drop in the bucket that is the wall to wall draft coverage that already occurs.) I also expect to have some crowded press conferences when we sign him, and at the start and completion of training camp. I don't foresee much of that penetrating deeply into our locker room.

Very possible outcome.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    I dont see it being news worthy either and i dont see any of it being negative. Even if we end up cutting him, which is doubtful for a draft pick around here, we still gave him a shot when the other 31 teams passed. hard to point at the one that drafted him and spin it as anti-gay somehow. so some media attention, in a positive light, for a couple days. Id say beginning and end of TC like you suggest and the first game hes active/plays in would be it. theyre not going to report every tackle the guy makes as a new record for a gay player.
    -JAB