Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

MOVIE REVIEW: Draft Day

The problem with me and movie reviews is that half the time I’m not even sure what I’ve just read. Maybe it’s that I just don’t grasp the art form or maybe I just don’t care about the art form.

I just want to be entertained.

I don’t want to have to look at my watch wondering when it’s going to end. I want an escape from reality – one during which the director and his cast take me on a journey and when it’s done, I’m glad I went along for the ride.

On Friday afternoon I dialed up a couple of colleagues and suggested that we go and see the 1:35 viewing of Draft Day. And I’m glad I did.

Of course the movie had its share of unnecessary filler. I would have preferred that they had developed the story line between Cleveland Browns GM Sonny Weaver, Jr. played by Kevin Costner and his late legendary father who Sonny was forced to fire as head coach.

Instead we were fed the subplot of some front office hanky-panky between Sonny and Browns capologist Ali (not Muhammad) played by Jennifer Garner who by the way is a tad bit better looking that the Ravens’ Pat Moriarty (but we’d still take Pat).

Admittedly the movie starts a bit sluggishly and seems redundant at times. But when it gets into gear, football fans will love it particularly during the flick’s final 30 minutes. It opens the mind to what goes on during those moments leading up to the draft and when teams are on the clock.

We all know that organizations do background checks on players and that character red flags can cause a player to slip down the draft boards in manners that don’t bely their on-the-field abilities and accomplishments. Draft Day digs a little deeper in this area and when it does it’s hard not to think of players like Matt Leinart, Warren Sapp, Randy Moss and even Aaron Rodgers on draft day as they sat in the infamous “Green Room”, force-fed large doses of humble pie.

Naturally there’s some unrealistic Hollywood drama and if Ozzie Newsome made the trades that some of the GM’s in this fantasy NFL agree to, the lynch mob would be waiting at One Winning Drive.

Interesting comment on Facebook from my colleague Derek Arnold about Draft Day: “Most realistic part: Browns fans chanting “Su-Per Bowl!” in April/May!”

Nice.

In the end this isn’t a sports movie on par with Bull Durham, Field of Dreams or Remember The Titans but for those who love the NFL and are jazzed by the inexact science of the NFL Draft, go see the movie. It’s not a bad way to spend 2 hours.

Chances are by the time you leave the theatre the Orioles may have scored a run at OPACY.

GRADE: B-

LINK

Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Blog Entries

Re: MOVIE REVIEW: Draft Day

I hope this movie gets good reviews otherwise my wife will schlep me to some foreign movie (with English subtitles) that has me leaving the theater scratching my head and saying, "Oh well, at least the buttered popcorn was good." ... Bc

Some of the GM moves and lack of preparedness in the movie were unbelievably implausible, even by Cleveland Browns standards. But for getting yourself a football fix in April, it's pretty awesome. The way they interweave actual NFL facilities and personalities (Goodell, Rich Eisen, even #52 shows up) makes you feel like you're getting a backstage look.

I agree with Tony's assessment. This won't join the pantheon of legendary sports movies that you can watch over and over again. But it's definitely a fine way to combat the offseason delirium tremens.
    "Chin up, chest out."

I saw it Saturday afternoon with my son. Thought it was pretty well done, thought Costner was very good, and I would definitely tell others to see it. I have to admit, a couple of scenes where they had guys getting emotional about being drafted by the Browns, I said somewhat out loud " You'll be crying for other reasons later" and the people next to me started laughing as well lol!

Thanks for all the scouting reports. My initial reaction to the movie was to wait until it comes to DISH, but I may actually venture into the theater to get some football for the spring.

Of course, I still can swim in the buttered popcorn regardless - right, BC?
    Captain Offense

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Offense View Post
    Thanks for all the scouting reports. My initial reaction to the movie was to wait until it comes to DISH, but I may actually venture into the theater to get some football for the spring.

Of course, I still can swim in the buttered popcorn regardless - right, BC?
    Oh Captain, if you're with my sister-in-law, you'd better wear a raincoat... Bc

Blog Entries

You beat me to it Tony. I was gonna do a thread on this movie but hesitated cause I thought it would get moved by my favorite MOD. Anyway, the movie is a big joke. It was boring which
    was the only reason I went to see it to begin with. I was bored on a Sunday night. There was
    only 3 other people in the theater and they were bored too.

Guys, just wait for it to come on cable or Netflix. It's not worth $11.

The movie is a travesty of football. Costner made some good sports movies about baseball and golf but falls down although there's some humorous stuff.

It begins with a big sign that said home of the Cleveland Browns and shows their stadium. That got me laughing at the top. Then he shows real ciips of the Browns moving and fans pulling seats out of the old Municpal Stadium and signs that said Art of Betrayal. I'm laughing harder.

The fallacy of the movie is it shows the Cleveland Browns as the best drafting team in the draft. Costner plays Sonny, a GM who in the beginning trades 3 #1s (including 2 future #1s) to Seattle for their top pick and the rights to hot shot QB Bo Callahan. His war room explodes saying he gave their future away and the coach is cussing him out and Sonny says watch it or I'll fire your ass. Coach says go ahead and stuffs his National College Chamionship ring in his face and said Ill get another job because I win football games. Ozzie would never trade 3 #1s. He only traded 1 future #1 for Boller.

Meanwhile, the fans in Seattle are hanging dummies of their GM in front of his office and he
    says is that me they're burning? I just got them 3 #1s.

So Cleveland has the pick and their QB wants to be traded because he knows they're taking BO but then Sonny investigates him and this is where Costner did some homework and pulled a page out of Elvris Grbac's handi work. Sonny finds out that none of his teammates went to his 21st birth day party. That reallY happened to Elvis his last year in KC, a little fact Ozzie and Billick didn't care about it. We knew it because it was in the papers.

So on the day before the draft Sonny calls Bo who wants to be the first player drafted and asks him why didn't anyone go to your party and he says what? he doesn't answer him and that's when Sonny decides not to take him but again he doesn't tell his war room. He wants the RB from Ohio State because of his character. He saw a film when he scored a TD and gave the game ball to his mother who was watching his kids in the stands. His wife had died and Sonny likes his character better than Bo's and decides to take him but doesn't tell anyone. Ozzie is always talking to his people in the war room when trades are being made.

Meanwhile, a lot of teams are trying to trade with Sonny to get Bo so he's holding all the cards. Finally on draft day he takes the RB and Bo is pissed. He storms out of the bldg into
    the alley and his agent chases him. He said this is the NFL draft man, anything can happen, I need you inside. Bo drops in the draft. The Browns have another pick and the Jags want it and say why didn't you take Bo. What's wrong with Bo. At this point the movie does show the pressure the GMs are under.

Finally Seattle gets back in the pic and wants a deal to get Bo who's still on the board and Sonny saiys Ok, but I want my picks back. he said no way. Finally, he gives in and Sonny got his #1s back and Seattle gets Bo. Chris Berman is saying how smart the Browns are for getting all these picks and taking the RB who can also return kicks as well.

The really funny part was showing the RB from Ohio State crying his eyes out after becoming
    a Brown. In real life their best player is trying to get the hell out of Cleveland after they just tagged him with the seldom used non-exclusive tag. The Jags made an offer and the Browns can match it but he will take up half their cap space which is why teams don't use this tag but the real Browns did.

Costner obviously made this movie before the real Browns just fired everyone. There's a new Sonny in town now. Costner must not have known that the Browns are always firing their GMs and coaches. The Ravens have only had 1 GM and 3 coaches while the Browns have had many.

This is where the movie is a farce. If Cosnter was going to be half realistic he would have made the movie about Ozzie Newsome who is the best best GM and has 2 SB rings. It should
    have been about him or Bellicheat not the Clowns.

The trading up and down Costner does in reminiscent of Ozzie trading down and back up in
    the Flacco draft. Ozzie's name is never mentioned in the movie although it mentions when Minn stayed on the clock too long and lost the pick and Jags got Leftwich and the Ravens moved down after the trade fiasco with Chicago. Ray Lewis makes a cameo appearance as does Jim Brown who starred in several movies himself in the 60s like The Dirty Dozen.

This movie is a big joke and terribly boring. Wait to see it on Netflix.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-14-2014 at 08:40 PM.

If their gonna make a movie about the Browns it should have been called Daft Day!

I gave it a B-

One Ravens exec gave it a C+

It was worth the $9 on a Friday afternoon, considering I willingly drop $6 for a pint of Guinness.

To each his own...
    Last edited by TL24x7; 04-15-2014 at 04:01 PM.

Blog Entries

Sounds like your pal DeCosta said that Tony. Two of his best friends got their careers torched in Cleveland as their GMs. One more reason not to give any movie about the Browns a C+. Costner was obviously trying to do something for Cleveland after losing their franchise and turning out this way.

Actually, I shouldn't complain. I got the SR Citizen's rate of $6.50 in Churchville.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    It begins with a big sign that said home of the Cleveland Browns
    "Factory of Sadness".
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Sounds like your pal DeCosta said that Tony. Two of his best friends got their careers torched in Cleveland as their GMs. One more reason not to give any movie about the Browns a C+. Costner was obviously trying to do something for Cleveland after losing their franchise and turning out this way.

Actually, I shouldn't complain. I got the SR Citizen's rate of $6.50 in Churchville.

I think the director or the writer of the script was or is from Cleveland.