Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Team Tried To Extend Haloti

If we get at least 12 games out of him playing average of his actual ability I consider it a win....yes I think the situation is that bad
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

He's getting cut after this year. They'll save 8.5M but cutting him. They definitely aren't keeping him at that cap number. If he stays, it will be to be on a Suggs type extension which that article says he turned down.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    Even if he wanted to hang it up in the next 2-3 years, there isn't much reason not to sign an extension, since extensions usually contain upfront money. I doubt Suggs plays through his full extension either, frankly.

I think the reason he did not sign the extension offered is simply because he felt it was not high enough.

Unlike Suggs, Ngata still has two high-salary years left on his current deal, so when the speculation is the extension offer was "similar to" Suggs' extension, I am not sure what that means.

Suggs had one year left at $7.8M. Now he has 5 years left totaling $28.5M (as far as I recall). Meaning he signed a 4 year extension worth $20.7M. Obviously the guarantees, signing bonus, and amount through 3 years, etc., is relevant, but in general he added 4 years at around $5.2M per year.

Ngata has two years left at $8.5M per year. So, was the offer they gave him an additional 4 years for $20.7M, making it a new 6 year deal for $37.7M? I doubt it, though maybe. I suspect the "similar to Suggs" talk might be referring to an extension that resulted in a net deal similar to Suggs now, i.e. 5 years for $28.5M ($5.7M per year). If that is the case, since Ngata is owed $17M over the next two years, the extension would only be 3 years for $11.5M.

I think Ngata knows he is getting his 2014 money even without an extension (i.e. we can't afford to cut him this year). And he probably assumes any extension offer next year (or new deal with new team) has little chance of being lower than a 3 year $11.5M type deal. He may be right, depending on his 2014 season.
    Especially if they offered an "unrealistic" offer (3/11.5 probably is a bit unrealistic). I think hes just playing it smart. play this year, talk extension next year, which theyll still be open to if he still wishes to play.

I do agree something will happen next year, he wont just play out his contract.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by runrayrun27 View Post
    If we get at least 12 games out of him playing average of his actual ability I consider it a win....yes I think the situation is that bad
    I agree. I'll be glad when this chapter is over. He hasn't earned his money since 2011.

Last year was Ngata's best year in a while. He still isn't worth $16M, but at least we got some of that worth from him. Improving from the year before is somewhat encouraging too that it really was injury and not decline in play or laziness. This same conversation was happening with Suggs at this point last year.

If Haloti really wants to retire in a year or two, he has no incentive at all for signing an extension. I think there's a good chance he plays out this $16M season and either retires afterward or is released by the team for cap savings. And if the latter, he may decide to retire anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    If Haloti really wants to retire in a year or two, he has no incentive at all for signing an extension. I think there's a good chance he plays out this $16M season and either retires afterward or is released by the team for cap savings. And if the latter, he may decide to retire anyway.
    Yes. It seems like Ngata really doesn't have much of a desire to play for another 5 years.

Blog Entries

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Bogus or not. Bottom line this is more than likely his last year as a Raven.

Quote Originally Posted by runrayrun27 View Post
    that's ridiculous.
    We get 16 games a year of him being the best defensive lineman on the team year after year.
    Haloti at 85%(which is his typical heath "rating") is better then almost every other D lineman in football.

The talk of his decline is so ridiculously overblown it's funny to me.
    Is he worth $16m/yr against the cap? NO, only QB's are. we can agree on that part. IT was a very poorly structured contract.

I beleive Haloti will retire soon anyways. The contract extension would be for naught.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Yes. It seems like Ngata really doesn't have much of a desire to play for another 5 years.
    He got his ring and plenty of money. He's always getting banged up. Why risk permanent health problems at this point in his career?

Ngata has a wonderful family and might as well enjoy life with a working back and knees.