Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Jags sign Mack to offer sheet

Mack has plenty of reasons to leave Cleveland. Jacksonville ain't a great team by any means but they're probably more likely than the Browns to be competitive in the future. They play in a weaker division, and there is no state income tax in FL.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I dont understand why hed sign any deal like that then. Makes sense to play the 1 year and be a free agent if thats the case. Now hell be stuck where he doesnt want to be for 5 years instead of one.

Most insiders are saying that there will be an opt-out clause after year 1 or 2 and the date would be after the franchise tag deadline, meaning he can become a FA that can't be handcuffed.

If I where Mack, I'd want one year deal and the contract to contain a clause that wouldn't allow the team to franchise me.

Cleveland is going to match.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I dont understand why hed sign any deal like that then. Makes sense to play the 1 year and be a free agent if thats the case. Now hell be stuck where he doesnt want to be for 5 years instead of one.
    Early (unconfirmed) reports/speculation are putting the guaranteed money at $22-$26Mil. Especially in the NFL, players always one injury away from being out of the game, so he may have been willing to trade the chance to maximize his long-term earning potential for the promise of a huge payday upfront. If so, he wouldn't be the 1st.

Also, we can't say for certain that he doesn't want to be in Jax. If no other teams are making an offer he likes, maybe he figures that playing for a losing team near the beach in Fla sucks less than playing for a losing team in the rust-belt.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Do you think it's possible that the Jags offer is matched by the Browns, and then some sort of draft choice trade is made? Seems very likely Mack wants out of Cleveland and who could blame him (?) ... Bc
    I can't see that happening because the Browns would then take a big cap hit from the trade. Whatever guaranteed money would hit this year. Based on the reports that could be $26 million.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I can't see that happening because the Browns would then take a big cap hit from the trade. Whatever guaranteed money would hit this year. Based on the reports that could be $26 million.
    Thank you GOTA. I wasn't sure what the "cap" ramifications might be. So you think Mack will be back in Cleveland this year? ... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rd1z View Post
    Most insiders are saying that there will be an opt-out clause after year 1 or 2 and the date would be after the franchise tag deadline, meaning he can become a FA that can't be handcuffed.
    That's what I heard.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet 2m
    Here is #Jaguars offer sheet Alex Mack will be signing tomorrow: 5 years, $42M. It’s $18M over 2 with player option after ’15. Can’t tag him

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

So need details but 18 over 2 years means the back 3 yrs is 24mil or 8mil per year.
    Need the guarantee and the bonus info
    could be creative as anything short of a poison pill causing Cleveland's capologist to be hit by a mack truck
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

That's weak.

No doubt Clevelamd is matching that offer.

I guess Jax had nothing else to lose, but there isn't anything remotely in there that would cause Cleveland not to match.

I'm sure they are thanking Jax for writing the contract for them...including one that gives them an easy out right when he is getting to the wrong side of 30.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Yep looks like very matchable, Mack gets an out in 2 years, if not he gets 8 Mil guaranteed, so if he tears an acl in 2015, he has them on the hook for 2016 by not opting out.

Mack can void the deal after 2015, and cannot be franchise tagged if he does so. However, if Mack chooses not to opt out, he'll be guaranteed $8 million for 2016
    http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/286210/report-macks-5-year-offer-sheet-worth-$42m
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries
    It will be the funniest thing ever if the Browns don't match that offer.