Page 62 of 78 FirstFirst ... 6061626364 ... LastLast

Re: RSR 2014 NFL Mock Draft - Picks Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ravens47 View Post
    I would definitely do that. At 30, I think we could easily get Jimmie Ward and with the two 2nd round picks you can go RT and maybe Jarvis Landry. I doubt the 49ers would make this trade though.
    I'm really starting to not feel good about our prospects of landing Jimmie Ward. His stock is skyrocketing. If you look at the CBSSports mocks, 2 out of 5 have him going to GB at #21 overall and another has him going to KC at #23. Not that long ago, the highest I saw him going in any mock was at #48 to us. That's a pipe dream now. It is looking more and more like it would take our #17 to land him.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see the Niners shoot way up the board in round-1 and target Mike Evans or something.
    If he's "their kinda guy", I'd expect.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Loaded teams like Seattle and San Francisco - if they are smart - are drafting for 2015 and beyond. Both teams are going to lose a lot of players when those rookie contracts are up and they have to pick and choose which players to keep. Good drafting for depth now will keep them competitive at the top of the league. Only a shortsighted GM would mortgage the future by packaging too many picks and going for one or two guys in this draft. With all their picks, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see the 49ers even take a QB relatively early, just to hedge their bets.
    While this is a good strategy, the other side of the coin is that they may pass up a better talent just to hedge their bets on guys who may leave. The Seahawks, like the Ravens, have won a recent Super Bowl, so the 49ers may have a bit more urgency attached to their 2014 draft... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    While this is a good strategy, the other side of the coin is that they may pass up a better talent just to hedge their bets on guys who may leave. The Seahawks, like the Ravens, have won a recent Super Bowl, so the 49ers may have a bit more urgency attached to their 2014 draft... Bc
    I'm not suggesting that they pass up 'better' talent. I am suggesting they may be picking talent differently than what one may expect because they aren't trying to plug a hole, or don't view themselves as one player away from a Super Bowl. My post was in reference to a previous suggestion that the 49ers package picks to move up. THey might be better off using all their picks for lots of young talents because they are bound to lose a lot of talent in the next year or two.

Blog Entries

I'm not suggesting that they pass up 'better' talent. I am suggesting they may be picking talent differently than what one may expect because they aren't trying to plug a hole, or don't view themselves as one player away from a Super Bowl. My post was in reference to a previous suggestion that the 49ers package picks to move up. THey might be better off using all their picks for lots of young talents because they are bound to lose a lot of talent in the next year or two.
    Again I agree with your line of thought, OTOH the 49ers may have more reason (to win a Super Bowl) to trade up than the Seahawks or Ravens... Bc

You see Boldin and Crabtree returning.

I see a guy who is going to be 34 years old and another guy who is vying for a big payday. ;)
    With that in mind, I also see all those moves they made already.
    4/21 Michael Wilhoite Exclusive Rights Signing (exclusive rights signing).
    4/15 Brandon Lloyd Free Agent Signing (free agent signing).
    3/28 Perrish Cox Free Agent Signing (free agent signing).
    3/24 Kassim Osgood Unrestricted Free Agent Signing (unrestricted free agent signing).
    3/15 Chris Cook Unrestricted Free Agent Signing (unrestricted free agent signing).
    3/14 Phil Dawson Unrestricted Free Agent Signing (unrestricted free agent signing).
    3/12 Antoine Bethea Unrestricted Free Agent Signing (unrestricted free agent signing).
    Eric Wright Unrestricted Free Agent Signing (unrestricted free agent signing).
    3/11 Jonathan Martin Traded (traded).
    Blaine Gabbert Traded (traded).
    1/22 Jewel Hampton Reserve/Future (reserve/future).
    McLeod Bethel-Thompson Reserve/Future (reserve/future).
    1/21 Devon Wylie Reserve/Future (reserve/future).

That is just crazy good. See, they brought in 4 Vet DBs to help on the backend.
    They get a starting caliber OT in Martin.
    They get an experienced backup QB.
    They get some Vet WRs; one small, one average size and one tall.
    They keep finding ways to get better all the time.
    Some work out, some won't.
    It helps come draft time.
    Now they can draft to not only upgrade but for the future at the same time.
    And the picks can learn from the vets, too.

Could you envision a Moncrief or Robinson or Marqise Lee at WR or TE Niklas pairing with Davis?
    Don't forget, they have Marcus Lattimore at RB, ready to play and contribute so that eases the Gore issue some.
    They can afford to trade LaMichael James for a future draft pick.
    Heck, they might end up with Mosley (if he falls that far) due to Bowman's injury.

I am ducking out for the remainder of the mock.

We just listed our house for sale so Mrs. HR and I will be rather busy for the next few days / week.

Kris21054 and the Cowboys are on the clock.
    I figured I would just quote your post again, in case the issue of who is on the clock got lost in the last few discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I am ducking out for the remainder of the mock.

We just listed our house for sale so Mrs. HR and I will be rather busy for the next few days / week.
    Oh, and you are so close to picking for the Ravens. I hope you at least sent runrayrun27 a short list of draftees.

Good luck on selling your home. Is it a local move or are you completely uprooting?

Oh, and you are so close to picking for the Ravens. I hope you at least sent runrayrun27 a short list of draftees.

Good luck on selling your home. Is it a local move or are you completely uprooting?
    Local move that fell into our lap over the weekend.

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Shotgun the pick if HR didn't PM 44!

Congratulations btw

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Local move that fell into our lap over the weekend.

Thanks!