Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Forget Zack Martin; could be a run on OTs

I mentioned on the other thread there could be a run on OTs and Martin could be off the board before our pick. So for you guys that didn't want him, don't worry. He probably won't be there according to Kiper.

He says all 4 OTs could be gone by #16. I posted on the other thread that the first 3 of 4 players taken last year were OTs. Only two non o-linemen were drafted in the first 11 picks. There was a run on linemen last year and could be this year too.

The Michigan guy, Lewan, is supposed to drop to middle rounds but Mel thinks he'll go higher as high as #6. I've been posting if he doesn't drop to Giants, they'll take Zack Martin. Their Big Blue board has a thread saying how they need a OT.

Mel said what we've been posting. Zack is the safe pick @ 17 and is game-ready now. He's one of the best blockers in the draft and he can play every position on the line. Mel says he's reliable and consistent.

Some here think he's an OG but someone will take him as OT. Hortiz of the Ravens says he can play OT and Mel says so too. What a payday that would be for Martin rising from the 2d round where he was originally projected to #12 after a monster SR Bowl week.

Looking more like Pryor could be the pick at 17 unless Ebron falls and Ozzie wants him. That wouldn't be so bad either and we can still get our T in the 2d round with one of the other studs.

Mel Kiper: Tackles Won't Last Till No. 17
    Posted Apr 25, 2014

Ryan Mink
    BaltimoreRavens.com Staff Writer
    @Ravens All Ryan Mink Articles
    Offensive tackles Taylor Lewan and Zack Martin may be off the board before the Ravens are up.

If the Ravens want a big-time offensive tackle, they may have to trade up.
    ESPN’s Mel Kiper believes four offensive tackles will be taken with the first 16 picks. Unfortunately for those fans that want more protection for Joe Flacco, Baltimore is on the clock at No. 17.
    Across numerous mock drafts, Auburn’s Greg Robinson and Texas A&M’s Jake Matthews are shoo-ins as top-10 picks. That leaves Michigan’s Taylor Lewan and Notre Dame’s Zack Martin as possibilities.
    But Kiper is very high on Lewan and sees Martin’s stock rising as the draft approaches, which could make them unavailable for the Ravens.
    “Zack Martin, I don’t think will be there. I don’t think any chance of Lewan being there,” Kiper said. “I would say, for Martin or Lewan, you have to look at an alternative plan.”
    There is some thought that Lewan could slide into the middle of the first round because of off-field troubles. He still faces three misdemeanor assault charges stemming from a fight following this year’s Michigan-Ohio State game.
    However, Kiper has Lewan projected at No. 6 to the Atlanta Falcons in his latest mock draft, and believes he’s the third or fourth best player overall in the draft. Kiper said Lewan is better right now than Robinson, although he doesn’t have as much upside.
    “[Lewan’s] pass protection skills have improved this year to where you weren’t beating him,” Kiper said. “He’s got great speed, great balance, got a punch. He can get after you as a run blocker. To me, Lewan is a nasty, tough street fighter. He’s a battler.”
    Martin was seen as a mid-to-late round prospect for much of this offseason, but may be creeping up boards in part because he’s seen as a “safe pick.” Some pundits have called him the cleanest player in the draft.
    Martin was steady as a left tackle for four years at Notre Dame, giving evaluators plenty of game tape. He can play multiple positions on the offensive line. He also shined during Senior Bowl practices.
    “The kid is a reliable, consistent player,” Kiper said. “He’ll come in there right away and help you. He’s the safe pick. He could go anywhere in the top 17 who needs an offensive lineman. That’s down to Baltimore picking at No. 17.”
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-27-2014 at 09:56 PM.

Blog Entries

Re: Forget Zack Martin; could be a run on OTs

With the number of teams needing a QB, I think this is a great draft to trade back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

If all the top OTs are gone -- I'm OK, because that means there will be more quality at other positions of need: S, WR, TE, DL.

Would it be totally insane to grab one of the top 4 QBs with our first pick? Think through the possibilities before you say F NO.

Blog Entries

Plus its deep. That would be logical and Ozzie has traded dpwn in 5 of 8 drafts but more teams will be trying to trade down this year because it is a deep draft so it will be more difficult to trade down. Ozzie went to the SB trading down and teams are copying his map. Bisciotti said he thinks Ravens will stand pat and take the BAA.

Whatever, we'll get someone good just like last year drafting @ 32. Pryor would be a good bookend with Elam for years to come.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    If all the top OTs are gone -- I'm OK, because that means there will be more quality at other positions of need: S, WR, TE, DL.

Would it be totally insane to grab one of the top 4 QBs with our first pick? Think through the possibilities before you say F NO.
    No it wouldn't be insane. It's been suggested here already, I think first by JOn Boy that Ravens might draft Bridgewater if he dropped and I agree. We need a back up and could groom him. Many fans think JOe won't see the back end of his mega contract anyway so Kubes could groom him if he is there.

Just saying ya know.

Blog Entries

While I'd love to have Martin...a run on ANYTHING in the 1st round is gold to my ears. Because it means a better talent will fall to our spot. I'm not fond of the 1st round safeties, but getting the top CB would be a godsend. I might be a bit put off, but if a guy like Barr fell to us, that'd also be huge.

And then again, there's trading down. I would have no problem with that, though many will bristle at it. The depth in this draft is huge. Getting more 2nd or 3rd round picks will have just as much impact as getting one guy at 17.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Good post.

Blog Entries

I just don't see drafting a QB there. I get it, it could be a strategy play with Flacco...but I've never known Ozzie to play those games. He's never drafted say, a S in Round 1 because he wanted to safeguard against Ed Reed leaving. He never drafted an ILB high because he thought Ray Lewis would've been too expensive.

I guess some could say "Well Joe isn't as good as those guys", and you'd be right, but in the eyes of the Front Office, Joe IS the face of the franchise now. Drafting a QB in Round 1 sends an immediate message to Joe. You don't draft a guy at 17 to "compete" for a job...You draft him to take over the job and lead. Drafting a QB at 17 all but tells Joe, the team, and the fans "We have lost patience with Joe, we're ready to move on".

What I COULD see is Ozzie playing coy and suggesting they could draft a QB anyway, simply to smoke out someone who wants to trade with us to get a QB early. And Round 2 or later...absolutely I can see drafting a QB. Drafting one there doesn't quite say that guy is expected to be "the guy".
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

We still need a backup QB and I say yes only if Bridgewater or someone like him is there. Joe knows what the score is. He wouldn't be upset. NE has already worked Bridgewater and Manziel-sp? out. Marsha isn't getting younger.

Ozzie will take the BAA but the QB thing was just thrown out there as an interesting proposition.

BTW, Baltimore Colts had George Shaw as #1 draft choice and then signed Unitas who was backup. John was throwing lazer beams in practice and in the blue white game. Weeb learned that John and Berry were working out after practice. He told Berry to keep working out with JOhn and that was before Shaw was injured.

He couldn't come back after the leg injury, he couldn't push off his leg but he was a good QB but Colts had Unitas ready to replace him and the rest is history and when Unitas and his backup went down they still had Tom Matte, the instant QB.

Like pitching, you can't have too many QBs.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-27-2014 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    Would it be totally insane to grab one of the top 4 QBs with our first pick?
    If one or two of the top QBs are sitting there at #17, I think a more likely scenario would be to trade that pick to a team who really wants one of those guys but never thought they could get them. Dropping QBs = valuable pick. That could net a gold mine for the Ravens.

At 20 million per year and a cap limit, yes, you darned well can have too many QBs.

If one of the top QBs is there at 17, I see the Ravens trading back. We need a RT, and those can be found after round 1. Either tackle from Tennessee would be a great fit for us. This is likely the deepest class we've seen in decades so the talent drop-off from 17 to the top of round 2 is minimal at best. Jimmy Ward, Donte Moncrief, and a Tennessee tackle makes this a solid draft for us. Pick up some depth for the d-line (Will Sutton at DE, Ryan Carrethers at NT) and we're set.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

I've been saying for months that I wasn't confident at all that Martin would still be there at 17.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.