Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ed Reed

Blog Entries

Re: Ed Reed

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    How did he burn the Rex bridge? I must've missed that
    Reed played so poorly that even Rex who loves him could't overlook it and fight with Idzik to bring him back. Reed focused on making the big play and was constantly out of position. He just doesn't have the speed to play the way that he has his whole career.

Blog Entries

Cant blame the guy for taking the money Texans offered him, but it would have been a great ending for him if he just hung it up with Ray. Always be a Raven in my eyes so hopefully that one day contract happens.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Cant blame the guy for taking the money Texans offered him, but it would have been a great ending for him if he just hung it up with Ray. Always be a Raven in my eyes so hopefully that one day contract happens.
    The one day contract thing doesn't really mean anything. The marketing folks would probably love it but other than that it really doesn't add anything significant to Ed's career as a Raven. Ed Reed is, and has always been a Raven. He will get his yellow jacket as a Raven. That's enough for me.

Having said that, if it's important to Ed, then yes, I would do it. The Ravens owe him that much.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

The originality of thread titles has been lacking lately. But I digress ....

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    The one day contract thing doesn't really mean anything. The marketing folks would probably love it but other than that it really doesn't add anything significant to Ed's career as a Raven. Ed Reed is, and has always been a Raven. He will get his yellow jacket as a Raven. That's enough for me.

Having said that, if it's important to Ed, then yes, I would do it. The Ravens owe him that much.
    I disagree. I think it's important for more than just marketing. It's strong symbolism that shows the player means something to the team and, IIRC from the Mason one day contract, it actually has legal binding to the team should the player ever come back out of retirement. Not that he would though.

Blog Entries

I think it means something. going into the hall with a ravens hat is one thing, but with the way his career ended (bounced around the league, unwanted currently) I think putting that hat on one last time to say hes leaving would mean something to him as well as some fans. I think most people will always view him as a Raven but it would put a more positive spin on his final chapter than "nobody wanted him".
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I think it means something. going into the hall with a ravens hat is one thing, but with the way his career ended (bounced around the league, unwanted currently) I think putting that hat on one last time to say hes leaving would mean something to him as well as some fans. I think most people will always view him as a Raven but it would put a more positive spin on his final chapter than "nobody wanted him".
    Players go into the hall with all the teams they played, not just one specific team.

Reed's bust will show Ravens, Texans and Jets if he hangs up the cleats today.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Players go into the hall with all the teams they played, not just one specific team.

Reed's bust will show Ravens, Texans and Jets if he hangs up the cleats today.
    I understand that. wasnt even saying that necessarily in that way, but symbolically.
    -JAB

The originality of thread titles has been lacking lately. But I digress ....

I disagree. I think it's important for more than just marketing. It's strong symbolism that shows the player means something to the team and, IIRC from the Mason one day contract, it actually has legal binding to the team should the player ever come back out of retirement. Not that he would though.
    Symbolic, yes, but if it doesn't happen will it make any difference to you or any Ravens fan? Won't for me. Ed will always be held in high regard as a Ravens player. No one is going to remember his time in Houston or NY, other than how stupid Houston was to sign him, or the Jets for that matter. As for the legal angle, I really think you're stretching there, but I'll concede that one if it really matters.

I agree that it would be the best way for Ed, and as I said, if it's important to him then I'm all for it.

Symbolic, yes, but if it doesn't happen will it make any difference to you or any Ravens fan? Won't for me. Ed will always be held in high regard as a Ravens player. No one is going to remember his time in Houston or NY, other than how stupid Houston was to sign him, or the Jets for that matter. As for the legal angle, I really think you're stretching there, but I'll concede that one if it really matters.
    One day contracts aren't done for the fans. They're done for the player as a sign of respect and thanks.

One day contracts aren't done for the fans. They're done for the player as a sign of respect and thanks.
    I disagree. I think the one day contract to retire is done as much for the fans (maybe even more so) as it is for the player. The contract means nothing to Ed. Being acknowledged by the fans and the organization means much more. Also from a marketing standpoint there are benefits, as you can imagine. Giving the fans one more appearance in a Ravens jersey will generate $$$$.

He will be inducted into the ROH, which is way more meaningful to me personally.

I disagree. I think the one day contract to retire is done as much for the fans (maybe even more so) as it is for the player. The contract means nothing to Ed. Being acknowledged by the fans and the organization means much more. Also from a marketing standpoint there are benefits, as you can imagine. Giving the fans one more appearance in a Ravens jersey will generate $$$$.

He will be inducted into the ROH, which is way more meaningful to me personally.
    Huh?

How many fans where there at Mason's one day contract signing? None. He signed it at The Castle and was treated to a few days of top shelf luxury downtown. Not one fan was involved in any of it.

As for your marketing claims, I can go online right now and get a Ravens Ed Reed jersey from nflshop.com and he's not a Raven anymore. I don't see how him signing a one day contract makes jersey sales go up, down, sideways, etc. It has zero to do with marketing. The league doesn't all of a sudden make / sell more Ravens Ed Reed jersey because one it's teams decides to give him a symbolic one day contract.

Blog Entries

When they sign those one day contracts and have the PC, they aren't wearing a jersey. Or holding one.

The contract is usually just a precursor to a press conference to allow the player to announce their retirement in the city they called home. It'd be weird for Reed to go to the Jets media or the Texans media to hold a PC announcing his retirement, because they only knew him for a few months. He has long standing relationships with the Baltimore media, so if he wants to hold a "ceremonial" retirement, he comes here.

It's really about the player. I wonder if Heap might not do that, simply because Heap is a very quiet guy who doesn't want attention. Stover didn't do it either, IIRC.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!