Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Re: Pff draft grader link

0zzie still won the SB with the Kindle draft as bad as the top two picks were. Pitta won the SB and even Dickson made a big catch so there. In the big picture, Kindle didn't matter. Damn shame.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    High risk, high reward guy. He had bad knees. He had off field issues in college. He wasn't very quick to pick up a playbook. The Ravens would have been better to stay away, even if he didn't fall down the stairs. Sometimes just grading value in terms of athletic ability to draft position doesn't tell the whole story.
    Even with his issues, Kindle was projected to go fairly high in the draft. Getting him in the second round was pure value.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Kind of a weird rating system. A 1st round pick that they traded up for in Michael Oher has the same negative .5 grade as 7th RB Allen Patrick who never played a game for the Ravens.
    I kind of understand it. It's all relative to expectations. I see Oher as a guy who they used a relatively high pick on, and who was pretty serviceable albeit below expectations. He was hardly a complete flop. I think Mel Kiper re-ranked all the picks after one season and had Oher #1 overall, didn't he? Clearly he fell far from there, but the guy wasn't a complete flop, so I can see giving the team a slightly negative grade on him.

Patrick was a complete flop, but as a seventh rounder you expect that, so that's only a slightly lower grade.

Think of it like regular grades in school. Getting a B-/C+ on a major test probably has the same negative impact on your final grade as getting an F on a pop quiz.

Now, I know there are people here who want to call Oher a D or and F. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I'll stick with a B-/C+ grade on a guy who should have graded out as an A-/B+ based on where he was picked.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    Even with his issues, Kindle was projected to go fairly high in the draft. Getting him in the second round was pure value.
    Only if you think his issues wouldn't trump his athleticism. There were plenty of warning signs to not draft him. It should have been no surprise that he did something stupid. If it wasn't the stairs it inevitably would have been something else. This is why "pure value" alone sometimes doesn't equate to good decisions. Besides, days before the draft there were all sorts of reports about his knees that were causing him to drop. That "fairly high in the draft" projection was a puff of smoke by draft day.

Blog Entries

Only if you think his issues wouldn't trump his athleticism. There were plenty of warning signs to not draft him. It should have been no surprise that he did something stupid. If it wasn't the stairs it inevitably would have been something else. This is why "pure value" alone sometimes doesn't equate to good decisions. Besides, days before the draft there were all sorts of reports about his knees that were causing him to drop. That "fairly high in the draft" projection was a puff of smoke by draft day.
    I agree a b. IIRC I read before the 2010 draft that he was "mocked" to go around mid-1st round. When the negatives were uncovered, teams ran away from him. I wouldn't have an issue if Ozzie spent a 3rd on him, but a fairly early 2nd was too much of a risk. Apparently, in this case, the other 31 teams were right... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I kind of understand it. It's all relative to expectations. I see Oher as a guy who they used a relatively high pick on, and who was pretty serviceable albeit below expectations. He was hardly a complete flop. I think Mel Kiper re-ranked all the picks after one season and had Oher #1 overall, didn't he? Clearly he fell far from there, but the guy wasn't a complete flop, so I can see giving the team a slightly negative grade on him.

On draft day Mel said Oher can be beaten and he was pimping Nicks. He gave the Oher draft a B and that was based on getting Webb, not Oher or Kruger or who is also gone.

It would have been dumber and more risky taking Kindle in the first round, I grant you that. But taking him in the second round, to me, was a smart flier.