View Poll Results: How many primetime games will we be scheduled for?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll

2 5.26%

21 55.26%

14 36.84%
  • 4 or more

1 2.63%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: 2014 NFL Schedule Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    There's not much that would make a Baltimore-Carolina game worthy of prime-time. I mean sure the Ravens signed the best player in the history of their team after they unceremoniously cut him, but there's no rivalry between them, and the Panthers are widely expected to fade back into irrelevance.
    Not all primetime games have to be big ratings getters. Last season we had Mia/TB on MNF and Buff/Cle & KC/Phi on TNF. All 6 of those teams stunk in 2012. Car/Bal can't be viewed as any worse than those.
    "A pessimist sees the difficult in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." – Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
    Not all primetime games have to be big ratings getters. Last season we had Mia/TB on MNF and Buff/Cle & KC/Phi on TNF. All 6 of those teams stunk in 2012. Car/Bal can't be viewed as any worse than those.
    Yes, but the Panthers play the Seahawks, the Saints twice, the Falcons twice, the Bengals (two QBs selected from the 2011 draft, the league can and will market that), the Packers (media darling+ one of the flagship franchises), the Bears (see the Packers), the Eagles (large media market), and the Steelers (they get a billion prime-time games a year). Sure the Ravens could get a prime-time game because of the Steve Smith factor, but there's also a lot of other marketable games that the Panthers could get instead.

Does anyone know the actual day that the schedule gets announced?

Quote Originally Posted by rpcfball View Post
    I don't believe it's been announced yet but it should be soon. Last year, it came out on April 18th.

It's usually been on a Tuesday, so I would guess the 15th or 22nd if it's like previous year.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    Why are the Panthers being linked to the Ravens for a prime-time game here? Sure the Ravens signed their best player, but looking at the Panthers schedule there's much sexier matchups for the Panthers.
    The Panthers made the playoffs last year. This and the Steve Smith storyline makes it compelling for prime time TV.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    The Panthers made the playoffs last year. This and the Steve Smith storyline makes it compelling for prime time TV.
    The TV markets of both cities tells me otherwise.

I wonder how much of the decision of what games get the national spotlight is driven by the presence of premier fantasy players. Fantasy football has become so huge, I bet there is a correlation between TV ratings and players like Stafford and Megatron, who play in a small market for a non-playoff team, but are prime players in every fantasy league.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    The TV markets of both cities tells me otherwise.
    Pretty sure a match-up of 2 potential playoff contenders would factor more than market-size: See Colts/Chargers circa 2013
    Last edited by MarkS; 04-09-2014 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rpcfball View Post
    I read a report some time ago that it would be the 16th. I am sure they will stagger the announcements; Prime Time first and then the regular schedule.
    Captain Offense

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I can't see a Ravens @ Texans being prime time. Not after the way both teams played last year.
    If Buffalo/Cleveland can get on Primetime, anything can. Honestly, it's often less about how good the teams are than are they close enough parity-wise to make a good contest.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    If Buffalo/Cleveland can get on Primetime, anything can. Honestly, it's often less about how good the teams are than are they close enough parity-wise to make a good contest.
    I don't quite agree. I think the networks want a high viewer rating, and a contest (such as Bills/Browns) would have most people watching reruns or old movies. Now they may want to show every team at least once, so a Bills - Patriots or Browns - Steelers game might corral some interest, don't count on two traditionally under performing teams being a match-up on prime time... Bc