The offense -- not as horrible as you might think

I would first state that I think there's a LOT more improvement that can be had from this offense, and it starts with the line.

However, most of the discussions on the offense focuse on total yards. This can be a very misleading statistic and currently we are in the lower trenches of the league (we are 28 out of 32 and last year were 24th in the league). Other components besides yards are important -- ball control, points scored, lack of turnovers is also very important and we have done a better on some of those fronts than last year (especially turnovers).

If you look at some of the other "more balanced" views of our offense's statistics a different picture emerges:

Aikman efficiency ratings -- we are 19th in the league (last year 24) (FYI -- our defense is #1 on that stat) http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9702543

Football outsiders ratings -- we are 20th in the league (last year 27th)
    http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff.php

What we need to hope is that the offense can improve enough to be in the top 1/2 of the league -- above 16th on these more balanced statistics to make it a lot easier on the defense. Don't think there's any realistic chance that we'll be in the top 1/3 or top 10 this year because of the line (and the gamble that the FO took with the line) but think there's a realistic shot of us improving our execution to get in the top 15.

Re: The offense -- not as horrible as you might think

Half of it is O-line/Jamal, half of it is McNair. I think McNair can improve with time. That by itself will improve things tremendously. The other half I'm not sure we could improve unless Billick does the unthinkable and starts shuffling around the line, or Jamal gets injured and Musa steps in.

once we get a running game the passing game will open up
    Your Local Embroidery and screen printing Company..
    Cecil Countys Number 1 Raven Fan

Agree,the offense is so vanilla it makes the oline look even worst then it is
    Your Local Embroidery and screen printing Company..
    Cecil Countys Number 1 Raven Fan

The only way we can move the ball is when McNair runs a no hiddle.

Last sunday everytime we got the ball back, or got a first down, I would say "2nd and 8" I was right more then I was wrong. No wonder Mule tore his tricep, he was doing a LOT of heavy lifting as we ran up his backside repeatedly and predictably.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Last sunday everytime we got the ball back, or got a first down, I would say "2nd and 8" I was right more then I was wrong.
    That's for sure -- Jamal up the middle or left side for two yards got to be ridiculous last week. And always on first down. :grbac:

One of the upsides -- and I may be reaching -- of Mulitalo's injury is that Fassel stops with the conservative play calling and makes us more unpredictable. We may still have the assumption that our o-line can do what it did 2 years ago , when all evidence is to the contrary.

We'll see on Monday night!

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

The offense seems to be wrapped in cottonwool to protect itself .When the D intercepted Rivers.The normal school of thought is the offense to come on and go for the throat with a deep pass for a score.
    What do the Ravens do,Jamal up the middle for a yard or two.:grbac:

Take the wraps off and the offense will open up and click.Like at the end of the Cleveland and San Diego game.

I do believe we should let the passing game open up the running game,and not vice versa.Get that extra man out of the box .
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

I think the OL is now possibly as bad or even worse at run blocking than pass blocking.
    I agree.

The teams argument when defending this line all these years was pointing to Jamal's 2000 yard season.

They just look like a joke now.

I think most of it is Mike Flynn gets manhandled like a ragdoll anytime he goes up against big strong NT's.

If you iso'd on him during the Browns, Raiders and Chargers games, Ted Washington, Terdell Sands (or whatever his name is) and Jamal Williams just stood Flynn up, waited for Jamal to committ and then just tossed Flynn aside like he was a 200 pound WR.

You just can't get dominated like that up the middle...especially when that is the only place you run.

Or how about when Musa's TD got called back because Flynn got pancaked and STILL managed to draw a holding penalty?