Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Is Rolando McClain Coming Back or Not?

Yeah, I think the lateness is what is most damning there. I would think that if it's a valid reason, the lateness wouldn't have been mentioned.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Yeah, I think the lateness is what is most damning there. I would think that if it's a valid reason, the lateness wouldn't have been mentioned.
    well who is reporting it? did the team say that or did the source just say he was late without context. Did the source give context but the report leave that out? Could be a magnitude of reasons.

Its not a good start but like others have said, its not a deal breaker either. Id like to know why he was late, but if he doesnt show up late again its kind of a moot point. FTR I think some rookies or new additions have shown up to places late by simply underestimating traffic and what not in a unfamiliar place. Im hoping that was more the case, but regardless of reason, it doesnt look good for him knowing his history.
    -JAB

The team is not going to say if he was late or not.

This continues to be a non-story. There is a very remote possibility that McClain will be a productive player for the Ravens this season at a bargain price. The far more likely possibility is that he will disappear somewhere along the process, the cost to the Ravens will be zero, and they are clearly not counting on him in any way.

In the grand scheme of things that affect this football team, this is somewhere below Kevin Byrne getting a migraine.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Kinkhabwala is on WNST now, said he was 20 mins late and mentioned a migraine.

WNST ‏@WNST 3m
    .@AKinkhabwala was told McClain was over 20 minutes late for the workout & mentioned there was talk of him possibly dealing with a migraine.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    The team is not going to say if he was late or not.
    Not sure I agree with this. I could see it as a psych issue - publicly give him a spanking and see how he responds. Does he step it up and blow the doors off or does he go to twitter and give excuses - or just take a "Go F*** Yourself" attitude?

How does he handle the fact that he has a higher hurdle to clear if he wants to make it. I also think that they see something or they would not reduce his trade value. If they did not like what he showed, they could have played the "he looks fit/seems to be ready to come to camp/blah, blah, blah" to dump him after they draft/FA somebody else and say they have too much at LB. The "lateness/fail test" spin does not help the ability to get a bag of balls for him.
    Captain Offense

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Kinkhabwala is on WNST now, said he was 20 mins late and mentioned a migraine.

WNST ‏@WNST 3m
    .@AKinkhabwala was told McClain was over 20 minutes late for the workout & mentioned there was talk of him possibly dealing with a migraine.
    could explain the poor performance as well, though i dont think thats a very good excuse to be late unless he was on some type of medication that made him sleep through an alarm.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Offense View Post
    Not sure I agree with this. I could see it as a psych issue - publicly give him a spanking and see how he responds. Does he step it up and blow the doors off or does he go to twitter and give excuses - or just take a "Go F*** Yourself" attitude?

How does he handle the fact that he has a higher hurdle to clear if he wants to make it. I also think that they see something or they would not reduce his trade value. If they did not like what he showed, they could have played the "he looks fit/seems to be ready to come to camp/blah, blah, blah" to dump him after they draft/FA somebody else and say they have too much at LB. The "lateness/fail test" spin does not help the ability to get a bag of balls for him.
    Some teams would do that. Not the Ravens. When have they ever publicly thrown players under the bus to motivate them?

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    could explain the poor performance as well, though i dont think thats a very good excuse to be late unless he was on some type of medication that made him sleep through an alarm.
    Agreed. I am very sympathetic to migraines. They can be completely debilitating. But I question it as an excuse. If you had a migraine that bad, you should reschedule. If he was late because he was in the bathroom vomiting from the migraine for 20 minutes, then I guess he gets points for effort in showing up at all. If I were Ozzie though, I'd rather the dude just called me and said, "Hey, got a horrible migraine, been puking my guts up, and whatever I can do today won't be representative of my current conditioning anyway. Can we reschedule?"
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Some teams would do that. Not the Ravens. When have they ever publicly thrown players under the bus to motivate them?
    Stuff does come out publically, but you are right, never thrown under the bus. I remember last camp he pulled Mellette off the field calling him lackadasical and lazy, and yelled at Asa Jackson to get his squirrely b*tt off the field.... so we do hear stuff in the heat of battle but never elsewhere
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Not a regular practice, for sure. My perception was that was the message for McKinney a couple of years ago and with Jacoby after his DWTS stint. I see Harbaugh as using that as a tool.
    Captain Offense

Trade Value? Rolando McClain? Seriously?
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.