Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: Is Rolando McClain Coming Back or Not?

So let's see...in the draft thread everybody is complaining about how Alabama defenders are so overrated...yet in here, people are touting him being an Alabama prospect.

Last year, we all heard the "nobody is good in Oakland" bullshit when we talked about not only him, but Micheal Huff...who proved to be every bit as a disaster as he was in Oakland. At some point, people need to stop blaming Oakland for players who suck just because Randy Moss...a notorious "I play when I want to" front runner succeeded in New England (and to nobody's surprise, Moss mailed it in again when he went to teams that were struggling).

Look, if this clown actually comes in and is great, I'll be the first one to say I was wrong...particularly if he stays on the up and up long term.

But nothing in his history says he's either a great player, great prospect, motivated, or a "Raven" player. Good luck to him...
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

I question it when a young man says I'm going to take time away from *sport* to get my life priorities in order.
    Majority of the time it's the personal life, friends/associates, that have set him on a destructive path.
    Why not make million$ while playing said *sport* and setting your personal life straight?
    At 40 there will be an article on *ex-player* who has now cleaned up his act, but receiving food stamps.
    Strike while the iron is hot, make hay while the sun shines, use any cliche you want, but if McClain doesn't return to pro football, there will come a day that he deeply regrets that decision... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I agree. But that can be had by any number of draft picks.

FTR, I am ok with us kicking the tires with him. I just don't have as large expectations for him as others.
    I'm in this camp - at least the 2nd part of your post. It doesn't hurt to bring him in and see what he has left in the tank and what contributions he can make to the club. Sometimes a second chance and a fresh start in a new place is all a player needs. Sometimes it just doesn't matter - but it doesn't hurt to find out. I don't expect him to turn into another Navarro Bowman or Ray Lewis, but if he shows something worth keeping then the Ravens don't need to use a draft pick on another role-playing linebacker.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I'm in this camp - at least the 2nd part of your post. It doesn't hurt to bring him in and see what he has left in the tank and what contributions he can make to the club. Sometimes a second chance and a fresh start in a new place is all a player needs. Sometimes it just doesn't matter - but it doesn't hurt to find out. I don't expect him to turn into another Navarro Bowman or Ray Lewis, but if he shows something worth keeping then the Ravens don't need to use a draft pick on another role-playing linebacker.
    It certainly doesn't hurt to bring the guy to mini-camps and then invite him to camp if he looks like he can still play. At the least you give the guy a shot to make special teams and get into the MLB rotation if he makes the roster. Anything above that is a bonus since we own the rights to him.

Blog Entries

And even he he makes a decent showing he is still late trade-able

If, lets say, he gets beaten out by a draft pick surprise, his contract alone should make him worth at least a 6th (maybe)
    We cut him in the finals and he has nice pre-season highlights, other teams bid for him.... we trade him and they get him along with the contract,
    That has to be good for something if he is good enough to make the team but squeezed out by a phenom.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Can't hurt to look. Think of him (if he comes to camp) as a 7th round/UDFA type. Take a look and maybe we get lucky. He could be the Ravens version of Burfict.

The man could be on a mission if he comes back. Crazier things have happened, give him a chance. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Imgaine him as the Ravens version of Vontaze Burfict as the guy above said. THAT would be something. What happens to Darryl Smith then?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    Imgaine him as the Ravens version of Vontaze Burfict as the guy above said. THAT would be something. What happens to Darryl Smith then?
    That's like saying, "I have too much money." ... Bc

About that comeback..

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...ravens-workout

The former first-round pick of the Oakland Raiders couldn't finish his conditioning test and failed to do any of the drills. Icing on the cake? McClain showed up late, Kinkhabwala was told.

It's not a good look for the 24-year-old defender who announced earlier this month that he was "training and preparing as if I'm going to come back," calling his brief retirement a chance to get his "priorities straight."

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Well, that does it for me.

Put me back in the "I don't want him near our locker room" club. Even if it's just to kick the tires, no thanks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Well, that does it for me.

Put me back in the "I don't want him near our locker room" club. Even if it's just to kick the tires, no thanks.
    It's April.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.