Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1213141516 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Is Rolando McClain Coming Back or Not?

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Way to twist my words Trap. Just like Tony was strong-armed into recanting about the Gary Kubiak hiring, right? :grbac:

WAY TO CHANGE A LOSING ARUGMENT PAL.

For example of size vs strength: Terrance Cody is ENORMOUS. Yet, his lack of functional strength and technique makes him a below average player.

I think we can say the same about Gino. Even if he isn't close to his listed weight of 300lbs (let's say 290lbs) that still is on par with some of the other top centers and interior linemen in the league from a pure size perspective (Chris Myers, Jeremy Kelce, Scott Wells, Evan Mathis, and so on). Size =/= strength. Brendan Ayanbadejo was one of the strongest guys on the Ravens' squad and he was maybe 230lbs. Did he need more "size"?

So, if you're saying that Gino lacked functional strength and that combined with his mental shortcomings is why he failed as the starting center last year, I'd certainly agree with you 100%. If you're saying he failed because he wasn't big enough, I think you're dead wrong and are correlating size and strength which is an incorrect correlation.

If the Ravens were so concerned with getting "bigger" at center, why trade for Jeremy Zuttah who (as I pointed out above) is only an inch taller than Gino and comparable weight? Why trade for someone who is relatively the same size as the guy you had last year when you could have signed Kevin Booth who was a free agent and significantly larger than both Gino and Zuttah (Booth is listed at 6'5" 320lbs)?

When Ozzie and Company discussed needing to get bigger on the OL that combined with their current moves to keep KO at LG and trade for Zuttah to me indicates that they were more referring to Shipley as the "size" issue rather than Gino. That isn't laying the blame on Shipley and removing blame from Gino at all. That's simple logic. Shipley (who has incredibly short arms, is barely 6'1", slow, has poor technique, and short legs) being replaced by a health KO (6'5" 330lbs) is SIGNIFICANTLY larger than Shipley.

Now, if the Ravens went out and signed Kevin Booth or went hard for Alex Mack (6'4" 315lbs) I'd say you were probably right. As it stands? I think you're taking the whole "size" thing with Gino and completely making it something it isn't.
    Well, that and 5 cents won't get you a cup of coffee, man. Ozzie and Gino himself must be wrong too. Gino said he's trying to get stronger and being fat tub of lard like Cody doesn't mean he's strong - just blubber with those big man boobs.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-18-2014 at 07:36 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Well, that and 5 cents won't get you a cup of coffee, man. Ozzie and Gino himself must be wrong too. Gino said he's trying to get stronger and being fat tub of lard like Cody doesn't mean he's strong - just blubber with those big man boobs.
    Kind of how I figured you would respond.

Hard to come back against a logical argument, huh?

I expect nothing less from you Trap! Carry on.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

You're still mixing apples and oranges. Zuttah is simply stronger and better and more experienced than Gino which is why you won't be seeing him no more just like they didn't see your boy Henn no more
    :grbac:
    after you said he's have a break thru season in Miami but dream on, man.

Yet another brilliant post by Trap. Go figure.

Lol, who's changing the argument now?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    It's one of the biggest misnomers out there. Just because someone is big, doesn't necessarily mean they are strong and vice versa. Just look at body builders vs power lifters. Power lifters are generally smaller than body builders, but they are much stronger. My small 5'9" 165lb self deadlifted over 400 and squatted over 300 which was a lot more than some of the much bigger guys in my gym.

To me Gino just lacked the strength and technique to get it done at Center.
    :word

And anyone who knows anything about strength and technique on a football field will clearly see this to be the case.

Some folks just read network news and listen to the dumbshits on local radio and now all of a sudden they're experts. Laughable.

Blog Entries

Yet another brilliant post by Trap. Go figure.
    He's a charter member of the "if you don't know what you're talking about, say it loud & often & if you get exposed, say it LOUDER & OFTENER" crowd...

Lol, who's changing the argument now?
    I wonder how many of us would long ago have consigned Auld Fart to an eternity in Ignoratory if it weren't so entertaining to watch him flop around in the boat once hooked on his own petulance & reeled in by the saner types here...
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    He's a charter member of the "if you don't know what you're talking about, say it loud & often & if you get exposed, say it LOUDER & OFTENER" crowd...

I wonder how many of us would long ago have consigned Auld Fart to an eternity in Ignoratory if it weren't so entertaining to watch him flop around in the boat once hooked on his own petulance & reeled in by the saner types here...
    Well, regardless of our disagreements, Trap does offer value as a member to this board.

His stories and knowledge of the way the game used to be played is not something that a lot of younger posters/readers have.

Blog Entries

Thank U and I've been the one pimping how the modern game will be played this year when KUBEs sends both TEs across the middle from opposite sides at the
    same time after Torrey and JJ take their men deep and Steve Smith underneath, and I played every position on the both lines including Center and have the broken fingers and hand to prove it.

BTW, the only person they added to the line is a Center - Zuttah - to replace
    Gino, not Shipley. They're bringing back KO for that and adding more size and
    strength in the draft.

Blog Entries

Thank U.

BTW, the only person they added to the line is a Center - Zuttah - to replace
    Gino, not Shipley. They're bringing back ko for that and adding more size
    in the draft.
    Wouldn't KO coming back to the LG spot increase the size?

I don't think that end-of-season commentary on the size of the OL meant they were displeased with KO. I took it as they were simply stating that Shipley's size combined with Gino's lack of technique, strength, and mental shortcomings (my words) was a major problem on the OL.

Them saying they want to "get bigger" could very realistically just mean they want to get a healthy KO back and address RT through the draft, OR, go with Wagner. We just don't know yet.

Glad I can once again use the ignore feature.

:D

Blog Entries

Well, regardless of our disagreements, Trap does offer value as a member to this board.

His stories and knowledge of the way the game used to be played is not something that a lot of younger posters/readers have.
    His stories are half wrong! He's gets them mixed up every other day! lol.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Wouldn't KO coming back to the LG spot increase the size?

I don't think that end-of-season commentary on the size of the OL meant they were displeased with KO.

No he was injured. They were displeased with Shipley and Gino. They
    added Zuttah to take Gino's place and will bring back KO to take
    Shipley's place. That's why I keep saying, they're replacing the middle for
    strength and size.

I took it as they were simply stating that Shipley's size combined with Gino's lack of technique, strength, and mental shortcomings (my words) was a major problem on the OL.

That's what I've been saying, strength and mental shortcomings.

Them saying they want to "get bigger" could very realistically just mean they want to get a healthy KO back and address RT through the draft, OR, go with Wagner. We just don't know yet.
    Right. We'll either go with Wagner or Martin or one of the other linemen from the draft.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 04-18-2014 at 08:58 AM.

:word

And anyone who knows anything about strength and technique on a football field will clearly see this to be the case.

Some folks just read network news and listen to the dumbshits on local radio and now all of a sudden they're experts. Laughable.
    Those that report on draft prospects have pretty much seen it all. But the thing is, no one ever really knows for sure how a draft pick will adapt (or not) at the next level.
    Sometimes all the good things said about a player comes out...and sometimes only the negatives come out.
    With Gino, he is a hard worker, a blue collar kind of guy. But the weaknesses in his game have really come out in full view.

From his draft analysis:
    STRENGTHS: Smart, assignment sound blocker with good awareness, keeping his head on a swivel. Professional makeup and coachable with the desire to be the best and doesn't cheat his ability. Tough and gritty, playing with a chip on his shoulder. Versatile with playing experience at all three interior line spots. Heady with high football IQ and very good bloodlines. Prides himself on fundamentals and plays to his strengths, understanding what he's best at and where he needs to improve. Tough-minded with natural leadership qualities. Works hard to hone his craft and plays with a competitive drive and blue collar mentality.
    WEAKNESSES: Only average size and length. Lacks overpowering strength to dominate defenders on brute power alone. Has stiff hips and lacks the fluidity or ankle flexion to quickly redirect his momentum. Not a natural knee bender and needs to be more consistent dropping his hips and anchoring at the point of attack. Tends to get grabby and rely on his upper body strength when beat, latching on and stopping his feet. Played at a lower level of competition and didn't face top defensive linemen week-in and week-out.

If his technique isn't changed it doesn't matter how big or strong he gets. And not giving the right calls to his surrounding linemen make things exponentially worse.

Jeff Saturday was smaller, but he made the right decisions and stayed low and had great technique. He anchored the middle for a long time.
    I hope Zuttah brings some of that here.