Page 1 of 25 123 ... LastLast

Is Rolando McClain Coming Back or Not?

Interesting read on br.com this morning. Harbs was interviewed about the possible return of McClain. Some key points from the article ....

“To me, it all depends on a couple things,” Head Coach John Harbaugh said at the NFL owners meetings. “Who [is he] as a person right now? Has he grown up? He had a lot of growing up to do obviously. And how hard he’s working, how hard he’s working at Alabama right now.

“If he’s working his rear end off, then I’m kind of excited about him. If he’s not, then I’ve got no interest in him being on our team.”
    But McClain himself has gone back and forth on coming back ...

“I haven’t even started to think about it, so we’ll see if that’s the decision I make,” McClain said.

However, McClain did post on Twitter last week, “I’ll be back this year.”

Adding McClain to the roster would fill a need the Ravens currently have at inside linebacker. McClain said he has not spoken with General Manager Ozzie Newsome recently, but he believes that his agent Pat Dye has.

Harbaugh said he has not talked with McClain.

When would the Ravens need to hear from McClain about his decision for 2014? Harbaugh didn't specify whether there is a time frame.
    This concerns me. Sounds like both sides are rather noncommittal. Harbs has every reason to be but McClain needs to be sure if he hopes to convince people he's changed. If he doesn't have the motor to prove he's changed, I'd just as soon trade his rights to someone and get something for him.

Thoughts?

Blog Entries

Re: Is Rolando McClain Coming Back or Not?

At this point the commitment should be unequivocal. To me if he does "decide" to come back, it would just be a cash grab. I would not trust a guy like that, no matter what he says or does from this point forward.

I'm sure some people will say "well, look what happened with Vontaze Burfict", but that's one guy, versus the million guys it didn't work with. I

He may be able to "flip the switch" for just long enough to get through camp, but you have to wonder about the whole season. To me the Ravens are too good a team to be giving a guy a year long tryout and using a roster spot. We may be thin at ILB but there are plenty of acceptable options out there.

It's nearly April and this guy doesn't know if he wants to play yet? Screw that. He's not into it. You can't dip your toe into the NFL. You're in or you're out. He is clearly not in, so therefore, he is out.

HR, I was never a fan of the McClain signing to begin with. And while people can change, I have to wonder if taking a year off really has made any difference in this case (apart from his being more rusty in football terms). From what little I've read, McClain doesn't seem to be showing a lot of drive or determination here. I can't believe Harbs is putting much stock in the possibility. Maybe he'll show up at some training camp and maybe he won't. I'll be surprised if McClain ever makes any 53-man NFL roster, let alone in Baltimore.

Blog Entries

Simply put, I hope NOT... Bc

The very first thought is, he was a very good player with alot of potential to be great.
    Second thought is, we have the rights to him and there is NO hurry for him getting his head on straight.
    Because the thing is, he lost his way and he is trying to get back on the right path.
    With Oz having his connections to Alabama, we have a veteran player who is very young to boot, with great potential hanging out there.
    He is going to school right now and trying to finish up that degree.
    I think he said he has 2 classes to take this summer.
    So his focus actually IS in the right place for where he came from and where he is trying to go.
    Uprighting the ship of his life is not going to be easy AND it is not on a predetermined timeline.
    He is very young and has time.
    Do I wish he had himself together and was working for a return this year? Of course.
    But maybe, we as fans will have to be patient and wait one more season.

To me, if it takes him one more year to get himself together and grow up and be able to focus on just football...then so be it. He is an ace in the hole...that isn't costing us anything right now.

How or why would anybody ever rely on this guy?
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

This is the type of stuff that gives people pause when it comes to McClain. Dude has never donned the Purple and Black and he's causing unnecessary issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    How or why would anybody ever rely on this guy?
    He has to prove himself all over again. He has to earn that first.
    He won't be allowed to just show up unless he proves in Harbaugh's eyes and maybe Oz too, since they both would be sticking their necks out for him.
    If those two think he is ever ready, then I will believe.
    He has to earn respect. It will not be given by the coaches or the players or us fans.

But it would be a great thing if this young man's life turned around instead of him remaining lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens44 View Post
    He won't be allowed to just show up unless he proves in Harbaugh's eyes and maybe Oz too, since they both would be sticking their necks out for him.
    He has to earn respect. It will not be given by the coaches or the players or us fans.

But it would be a great thing if this young man's life turned around instead of him remaining lost.
    I hope he does turn his life around.

I just don't think being a professional football player is in the cards.

He wasn't even good when he played...another overdrafted Alabama product.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens44 View Post

Thing is that if he "proves" his worth, will he continue to do so (?) IMO this guy is unreliable.
    So (speculating) he could show up strong in Training Camp then go AWOL before game one.
    My feeling is "pass" on him and let's move on... Bc

Blog Entries

He never proved himself to begin with unless proving he is a quitter is what you're looking for. He has no heart, he won't be a Raven

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

I believe he also said his agent has been in contact with the team but hes keeping his focus on school until after the summer classes are over.

I see no problem with this. Harbs wants to make sure hes focused on football, right now he isnt. He wants him to be in shape, which he is apparently doing. Once everything is ready the two will come together and all "criteria" will be met. Its just a little early in the process still.

He will be in camp, he most likely will make the team and be a Raven this year.
    -JAB